1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

US 7D in the Marlow. Comparing it to my Pembroke in 6E, the length of the Marlow definitely makes it a UK 6.5; however my guess just from my sample size of 1 is that the 'D' is UK (basically narrow compares to C&J's standard E fit). However, I don't think the 325 is made I a D width so I could easily be incorrect.

2. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I've also had the same suspect when I bought the penny in 9D, very very narrow to be UK E.

Maybe they use modified last in width?
    Considering that in some markets, these shoes are available also in US E and EE width.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I put some coloured laces on my Marlow PTBs:

[​IMG]

The nice thing is that if I decide I don't like the look, it's literally a couple of minutes to put the original laces back in.

1 person likes this.
  4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Gerry, I am loving the avant garde look. Colored laces are an inexpensive way to accent your wardrobe. When I ordered my PTB's over the weekend I wasn't sure if I'd like the exposed eyelets. Seeing yours in the wild, and with the cool laces, puts it over the top. How's the comfort level on them, and did you go tts or half size down?

5. Gerry Nelson

Thanks for the kind words. Some people will like the look and some will pretty much hate it [​IMG] I'm glad you're in the former camp!

I went tts with these ones so the same as my wingtips. They do feel roomier than the wingtips but not uncomfortably loose so I'm quite happy with them.

I feel that the exposed eyelets together with the double leather sole and the chunky shape of the last all work very well together but put these firmly into the more casual category.

These Carmina bluchers would be the sort that I would wear with a suit:

[​IMG]

I'd still experiment with the laces though [​IMG]

6. BeSpiffington

Gerry, those Carminas are killer. Compared to them the Marlow PTB's are definitely casual. Up here in Minnesota the brown RL's would still be considered office, church/dress shoes. I like their simple style. Goes with anything. I went with the same size as my Marlow wingtips. I like all the disparate discussions on this thread concerning what lasts they are. Very entertaining.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. Gerry Nelson

Ah Minnesota - the other end of the Mississippi and the land of the Prairie Home Companion!

I reckon Garrison Keilor would wear the PTBS!

8. BeSpiffington

^ I figure Garrison wears some sort of sensible suede with a crepe sole.

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

disregard double post.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. gsgleason

I got my second attempt of Marlow Wingtips today. Unfortunately these make very unattractive fine creases in the vamp that I've never before seen in shell which makes me wonder if something is wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BeSpiffington

I don't want to presume to ask an inappropriate question, but are you positive that you got the right size? How do they feel?

12. gsgleason

Spiff, I'm never sure of that. I'm between an 11.5D and a 12D on a brannock. These seem to fit well.

Why do you ask? What do you see that makes you suspect a sizing issue?

13. BeSpiffington

When I get a brand new pair of shells, and they look so beautiful when they come fresh out of the box, I get anxious about the size of the shoes while I'm looking at the brand new creases form. I use the Mac Method to break in my new shoes. That's just me though. I guess this is a long way of saying if they feel good wear the crap out of them. And, don't worry about the creases. Congratulations.

14. david3558

david3558 Well-Known Member

Ugh some of you were right! The damn shell on my Marlows are dry... anyone successfully bring them back to life? Not sure what I should do, already did 3 coats of Venetian...

15. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure if it's actual dryness. Could it be more a build up of wax that just needs to be buffed?

16. david3558

david3558 Well-Known Member

Tristan - that's a good point. I've spent a ton of time buffing it which is weird. On a side note, I used a coffee filter (lol) to buff my shell Aldens and brought them to an insanely good shine.

17. phototristan

Yeah, when shell is new, it takes a while for the waxes applied at the factory to come out. Wiping with a damp cloth, then brushing and wiping with a dry cloth (this is the 'Mac Method') should be all that you do for a while.

That's what I did and they began to look newer, over time.

2 people like this.
  18. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

It looks like a counterfeit pair. Did you buy these BNIB from china and jones?

1 person likes this.
  19. phototristan

Interesting-they closed the Ralph Lauren San Francisco downtown store. I wonder what happened?

20. gsgleason

I ordered from RL website using the recent 25% promotional sale.

I have decided that those fine wrinkles in the vamp are heinous and I am sending them for another pair. For that much for shoes, I expect perfection.

I have 3 pair of shells (AE stand, Alden LWB, Alden Indy) and none of them have ever made such a hideous fine crease such as these.