1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockett and Jones "Grasmere": Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Oct 23, 2012.

Yay or nay?

1. Yay

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Nay

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about this country shoe. Thinking about getting them, as the 317 last fits me really well. (I have weird feet)

They're somewhat sleek (if a country shoe can be sleek), but the double sole is very clodhopper-ish

Yay or nay? And what you wear these with, if anything? Only thing I can really think of is tweed jacket and flannel pants

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of the 325 last, not so much that particular shoe.

3. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

I like them. I have the Chepstow Chukka in tan. The sole is not that clunky, I feel that my Marlows are clunkier.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

Cords are great with this shoe. Denim as well.

5. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

I like that shoe quite a bit, but would much prefer it with a dainite sole. It is very casual (esp. the scotch grain) and wouldn't work with suits anyway, so why not get a more weather resistant sole?

6. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Well-Known Member

Don't like it at all, looks like something you'd find in Payless.

7. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I think they are great, and the tan scotch grain age beautiful. I have a pair of Grasmeres in another kind of leather and also a pair of Chepstow chukkas, which are on the same last (325) and in tan scotch grain. Perfect shoes for fall and winter, especially with the dainite sole.

/C

9. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I've got the Ralph Lauren version known as the Ash. I like them quite a bit although would prefer they had a dainite sole.
    I think they look a lot better irl than is indicated by those pictures.
    As you state, they work best with tweed/flannel but that's mostly what I wear in cooler months.

10. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

I have the RL shell cordovan version. It's a great shoe. Wasn't sure I was going to like it that much in the beginning as it is so plain, but the "plain-ness" is the appeal.

11. theyare

theyare Well-Known Member

I like them, but agree with above that would be best paired with cords or denim.

12. pelagicus

pelagicus Member

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Too light for me, prefer the Ashdown (but that's on last 341):

[​IMG]

14. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. The tan is just too much with the chunky sole.

Unfortunately, I'd have to get C&J MTO, which is pricey. The RL's aren't wide enough

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Ashdown is a C&J model.

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have the Grasmere. It's pointy enough to be classy, but chunky enough to be all-weather practical, and generous in fit.

I've worn it with everything from suits to chinos and even cargo pants. I'd say the former, coloured blue jeans (more than denim), or cords, are its natural casual ally. But grey flannel trousers or a tweed suit are perfect too.

It's a beautifully made shoe, really versatile, and of course is scotchgrain so intrinsically wonderful. Buy it.

17. Jaguarlover

Jaguarlover New Member

I am also doubting between these two.
    Am I right when I say that the Ashdown is a bit dressier due to the "sharper" last and less high toecap ?
    prefer the colour of the grasmere but the model ashdown ;-)

18. Leonardo Da Vinci

Leonardo Da Vinci Well-Known Member

I'd also say the ashdown are dressier.
    I was thinking what to take cause the grasmere are my first love, but for the way I dress, I feel I' d use more the ashdown.
    I'd go for dainite soles in both of cases. Are shoes that have to last, shoes for winter, but at the same time I'd feel more at ease with the ashdown after 6.00 p.m if I should go somewhere, while the grasmere are for me more for daily errands.

Also consider the leg opening of your trousers: if not very large I'd say the ashdown is better, matter of proportion at first sight