1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Critiquing fit of suit for finance interviews

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lostintranslation, May 11, 2012.

1. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

It really is more of a confidence thing then anything else (besides fixing the trousers in this case).

I just finished the finance interview marathon for various internships and in the end what you wear doesn't particularly matter. I always went with a charcoal or navy to avoid the general sea of black suits around me, but it was more for me then anything the interviewer could judge me on.

In fact in one interview for an unnamed major technology consulting firm I had to help one of the other candidates before his interview because he didn't know how to tie a tie. In the end out of the twelve people to make it to the final round he got the job. Why? Because he had the qualifications that they were looking for and they had an opening that fit him well.

In the end I became good friends with the kid who got that internship and I can tell you he wore an H&M poly-blend suit that didn't really fit him and borrowed his roommate's shirt. He didn't know any better and thereby it had no effect whatsoever on his confidence.

It will come down to the impression you make on the interviewer and how confident you feel. Be prepared and read their 10k ect.and try be interesting beyond just a machine answering questions.

Good Luck!

2. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

I agree with the majority of the comments that the suit is not perfect, but more than meets your needs.

I would suggest:

1. As mentioned many times, lengthen the trousers.
    2. A shirt with longer sleeves. I would also check the Right jacket sleeve - it seems off, but it could just me the photo.
    3. Lose the striped socks and go with solid navy. You don't want them to remember you as "fun socks guy." It would more likely be "goofy socks guy."
    4. Prepare well and then try to relax. Confidence is huge and being able to interact in a natural, confident and relaxed way will serve you well.

3. joe4u

joe4u Well-Known Member

I like the pants to be a little longer.

4. robc

robc Member

Your fine- the fact that you are concerned about looking your best is good- money, a personal trainer and a decent tailor will fix you right up later.
    Most people look like hell that wear suits, consider this a non-issue. better to work on conversation skills or interview skills.

For proof- stop on the street at noon or in the morning and watch the people go into the buildings.

Good luck!

5. thisisfun

thisisfun Active Member

Your posture needs more help than your suit; unless you're just standing like that for the photographs, the way you carry yourself does not project a shred of confidence.

Chin up, shoulders back; your suit isn't worth a damn if you look meek and introverted while wearing it.

6. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? He looks fine in the first two pictures. In the last one, his head is down but his left foot isn't even on the ground so it's not a good representation of his posture.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. thisisfun

thisisfun Active Member

Perhaps it's just me, but it looks like his shoulders are rolled forward (judging by where his hands/arms hang) and his entire torso has a slight inward bent. Not saying that he's slouching, but he could definitely be standing straighter.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Oh come on guy, you're commenting on posture....

Wear a neat pattern tie, not a stripe. I'd probably wear a white Oxford shirt, seems rediculous I know, but it's a staple of the American business man, and you're a noob so you don't want to be too perfect.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  9. thisisfun

thisisfun Active Member

All I'm saying is that if he's going in for an interview, his suit should take a backseat to how he carries himself. Besides, the only major issue with the fit of his suit has already been addressed dozens of times over.

10. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

You are probably the best dressed guy going for an interview, althoough the pants could be a longer.

1 person likes this.
  11. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

Striped socks for the interview?

12. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

It's already too slim. The sleeves are OK but I prefer them longer. And btw, who hemmed the trousers. The front should just hit the shoe and the rear pitched 3/4" longer. Wear solid socks.

13. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

You can at least make your trousers longer, as well as the sleeves.