• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critiquing fit of suit for finance interviews

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, its not brilliant.

As noted, the pants are a mile short. The sleeves look odd. The slant with a bit of cuff showing on one side and hardly any on the other looks odd.

Ditch the "fun" socks.

The tie is meh, but its not offensive.

Find a good tailor

fashionsnob

Reaction score

Personally I would shorten arms to show cuff !

I disagree. Cuffs are good! Pant length looks a bit short (I know you want to show of those stripes socks! :))

Otherwise fit looks good! A nice dark navy suit and professional-conservative. Perfect for a finance interview and a good first impression. BUT (possibly just a personal preference) I would pick a different tie. Too much blue for me. + the tie matches your socks in color and pattern. Use your tie to show a bit more personality and style without being too flashy.

Send me a private message and I will send you a complimentary tie! :D When is your interview?

Cheers,

H

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the tie I recommend. Send me your address (via PM) and I will send it to you for free. You should have it by May 17th (hope that is soon enough). This one will get you the job!

yeah, i wouldn't wear that either, but very generous offer

fashionsnob

Reaction score

yeah, i wouldn't wear that either, but very generous offer

Hmmm, here is why I picked this tie:
1. The color burgundy adds nice color to the dark navy suit and white shirt. But at the same time Burgundy is not too flashy (like a Mitt Romney Ruby Red Style Tie)
2. The stripes are not too boring and ties (literally) together shirt and suit (white and blue stripe)
3. Burgundy and navy looks excellent together (also great when pairing this combination with brown shows and matching brown belt).

Should I give a three more suggestions and we can vote? :D

Cheers

H

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is the tie I recommend. Send me your address (via PM) and I will send it to you for free. You should have it by May 17th (hope that is soon enough). This one will get you the job!

That is fugly.

2029-kill-it-with-fire.jpg

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen uglier ties worn to finance interviews. They aren't a big deal.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,
I'm currently a undergraduate business student hoping to work in the financial services industry upon graduation. I took advantage of the recent BB 25% off sale to snap up a navy suit for my interviews next semester.
So far, I've only had the lengths adjusted (sleeves, pants). Would any of you mind pointing out to me alterations that you think need to be made? My biggest issue is the break of the pants. I'd like my suit to look a little more slim and modern (without being obnoxious, of course), but the current break makes the pants flare out and look bad. How do I rectify this issue?
I'd greatly appreciate any advice that you might be willing to offer.
Thank you!
SuitBlurred.jpg

Suit2.jpg

Suit3.jpg

Why the trouser is so short? Plus you need to learn how to stand up straight.
The tie is rather ugly but it is ok for the start up.

Poloboy

Reaction score
People telling you this suit only needs minor alterations to look better are lying to you.
Your suit jacket is way to short. This looks horrible, and there is no alteration that will fix this.
The gorge of the suit is way to high, and looks bad.
Your sleeves are currently two different lengths, but should still be shorter to show equal cuff.
The suit jacket is to small for you in the shoulders, and this just makes your collar roll worse.
Even though you do not show the fit of the trousers, I feel safe in saying that the waist, seat, and rise are probably a bad fit also.
The trouser length is way to short, and make you look like a clown.
Forget about tapering your pants. This fad will only create more problems for you.
I would definitely get rid of this suit, and purchase one that fits you correctly.
You are destined to make a bad first impression on any potential interviewer you meet.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
People telling you this suit only needs minor alterations to look better are lying to you.
Your suit jacket is way to short. This looks horrible, and there is no alteration that will fix this.
The gorge of the suit is way to high, and looks bad.
Your sleeves are currently two different lengths, but should still be shorter to show equal cuff.
The suit jacket is to small for you in the shoulders, and this just makes your collar roll worse.
Even though you do not show the fit of the trousers, I feel safe in saying that the waist, seat, and rise are probably a bad fit also.
The trouser length is way to short, and make you look like a clown.
Forget about tapering your pants. This fad will only create more problems for you.
I would definitely get rid of this suit, and purchase one that fits you correctly.
You are destined to make a bad first impression on any potential interviewer you meet.

I love it when people can tell if something fits or not without even being able to see it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The point isn't that it is a perfect fit, but that (save for the ridiculous trousers) it is more than good enough for the intended purpose.

emc894

Reaction score
I worked for an ibank in NYC after grad, now on buy side.

That would be great for interviews. Wear solid socks though. A lot of asian guys wear shiny skinny suits, and by and large, you will look better than 95% of people there. Be careful not to look too flash by wearing cufflinks or obnoxious tie. Overall, they know youre in college and will cut you some slack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads