1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hgcrpd, May 18, 2011.

1. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

I won't say anything on the fit, since I have nothing to contribute that hasn't already been said, but as I will be visiting Lee Baron in two weeks time, I'm a bit concerned that Peter Lee needs so much guidance when fitting suits! Jeez, I know that I need to be clear in what I want, but I definitely don't want to have to explain to him every little detail.

OP, who took your measurements and did the fittings?

David, did you have to be so specific when you had your fittings?

2. hgcrpd

hgcrpd Member

OP, who took your measurements and did the fittings?

It was the younger of the two, I think the older is the actual Peter Lee. I don't think it was really a question of them not knowing what to do with the details, more a matter of them not knowing what it was that I wanted and my not being able to communicate it to them.

Slewfoot: I wasn't very attentive to the fabric. I told him just to give me something that was light and good for daily wear. As it was the first suit, I figured better to get the style down first and upgrade on the fabrics later. Any advice on how to choose a fabric?

3. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

It was the younger of the two, I think the older is the actual Peter Lee. I don't think it was really a question of them not knowing what to do with the details, more a matter of them not knowing what it was that I wanted and my not being able to communicate it to them.

Good point - one needs to be specific in what they want.

BTW, I appreciate your posting the pictures of your suit.

4. hgcrpd

hgcrpd Member

Took the suit back and am having the following adjustments made:
    - shortening sleeves
    - lengthening jacket, especially in back, to balance it out
    - bringing in the lower chest area, near the armpits, a tiny bit - I noticed that there was some loose fabric there, and it could be brought in without a loss in comfort, resulting in much cleaner lines around the waist area.

Should have it back next weekend and can see what it looks like then.

5. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

Took the suit back and am having the following adjustments made:
    - shortening sleeves
    - lengthening jacket, especially in back, to balance it out
    - bringing in the lower chest area, near the armpits, a tiny bit - I noticed that there was some loose fabric there, and it could be brought in without a loss in comfort, resulting in much cleaner lines around the waist area.

Should have it back next weekend and can see what it looks like then.

Don't expect too much. He can not lower the button stance anyway.

6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

and the trousers - why no full length views?

7. hgcrpd

hgcrpd Member

Didn't really have any problems with the trousers, it was just the jacket that I had no clue about.

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

David, did you have to be so specific when you had your fittings?
    I feel like I used to be more specific with Peter, but I've enjoyed the more recent things I've gotten from him the most so I'd actually recommend not being too specific. I think if one mentions general guidelines such as the following you'll get a comfortable and stylish jacket: - soft construction with minimal shoulder padding - a good amount of drape around the front and back of the armholes - buttoning point at natural waist - some waist and back suppression The other details such as pocket placement, number of sleeve buttonholes, etc you can decide with him or just let him take care of it. Up to you.
    Slewfoot: I wasn't very attentive to the fabric. I told him just to give me something that was light and good for daily wear. As it was the first suit, I figured better to get the style down first and upgrade on the fabrics later. Any advice on how to choose a fabric?
    The best way to choose fabrics is just to flip through swatch books. If you live in Hong Kong perhaps just ask Peter where you can view them or you can contact the mills themselves and see who has the books in your area. If you can get access to J&J Minnis, Harrisons and W. Bill you'd pretty much be all set.

9. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Peter now stocks Fresco, BTW. A lot of his fabrics also come from Harrison's Burley.