1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wbb2, Aug 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

- Probably 2 inches longer (hard to guess from picture ... your butt must be fully covered)
    - Cleaning up means that the vents are closed and the fabric does not show wrinkles or pulling when you stand in a relaxed upright position with the arms hanging down

Did you try the finished suit in the shop and did the tailor look at it? Did he claim this is good?

2. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

3. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

That's like saying, "Only a mechanic will notice your car has engine issues so don't worry about it."

When it comes to this suit, anyway, no one is really hammering on tiny details. There are some big issues with the fit and MTM should not have those problems.

4. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

There is indeed worse, but we have not been shown the trousers to this wretched coat so it can get worse! The tailor should have had sufficient pride to either remake it or certainly burn this one, however it seems that he has spotted someone inexperienced and has taken the maximum advantage to get a dreadful garment out of his shop.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Regarding jacket length. most of you have said that the jacket is too short. i would agree since it doesnt seem to cover my big arse. I do see a lot of shorter jackets ( such as the ones below )

They fall to around the first knuckle of the hand. that's what i was using to gauge jacket length when i told the tailor i wanted something shorter.

is it even possible to lengthen the jacket 1"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

It seems who measure you has gotten the measurement all wrong. The divots are course by tightness in the upper sleeve and shoulders, waist is too tight, length too short. When you have your jacket unbutton the two front edges should be touching at present there seems to be more than one inch gap. It won't be possible to lengthen the jacket. How to do the pants fit?

I would try ask your tailor to remake the jacket for you rather have the existing one alter.

7. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Thanks for the comments. i agree that it would be better if he took a shot at remaking the jacket.

MY problem is...i am not in Hong Kong. I would ship the jacket to him and he would have to recreate the jacket based on the existing jacket and those pictures.
    Do you think having the existing jacket, no fittings, and just the pictures, he will be able to do this and have a good jacket made?

Thanks!!

8. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

That is a hard call, I am not certain they will fix all the problems without you being there.. Having the right measurements will be a good start, perhaps you can go to a local tailor who is willing to take your measurements for you. If you send them the measurements with your photos you will have a better outcome.

9. imanewbie

imanewbie Well-Known Member

Its a loss for a business wear suit like other members have said and another member said 'THROW IT AWAY' I would not throw away a suit such as this that he spent 600 dollars on its a great looking suit for 'casual' wear and everywear, but not a formal setting its 'off' as other forum members have said.

LIke you said 'it doesnt fit' but are you also suggestting throw it away like other members also.....its not a loss.

10. imanewbie

imanewbie Well-Known Member

I agree, but other SF members were saying throw it away...Im not. DONT THROW IT AWAY its a great looking suit for everyday wear and NO ONE AND I MEAN NONE WILL NOTICE the shortness or shoulders etc..like us SF members do. I would not wear it for formal wear though based on that build.........

11. wbb2

wbb2 Member

the problem is i only want 1 good looking suit, since the only reasons i wear it are for business or celebrations where it should look proper. i don't wear blazers for going out or everyday wear whatsoever.

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

That shoulder could be fixed by chipping it (opening it up and removing about 1" of the padding from the sleeve head) its not "proper" but it would alleviate the problems.

To me the length of the body doesn't look too bad, maybe 1" short, but you have long arms. It makes the sleeves look too short. I would consider lengthening them by 1/2".

The back generally looks ok, but the tightness in the hips is creating the most disturbance, as well as the opening of the vents. It may be possible to let out the hips if there is enough fabric, but I would suggest that 1" per seam would be a minimum.

While there are a lot of posters in this thread shouting about disasters I don't think its quite true. If this was RTW people would be saying to take it to your tailor, not burn it with fire.

The lower back is the most risky part of a suit. Those with a narrow waist are tempted to cut all the way in to show it off. That is all well and good but your hips are almost always the width of your shoulders. As a result the cloth has to come all the way back out to cover your ass. All those celebrities who have a wide chest and narrow body got it from building muscle in their shoulders and chest, and staying lean on the waist. If you lift weights you can take your measurements from 40" Chest, 34" Waist, 40" Hips to 44" Chest, 34" Waist and 40" Hips. Suddenly the fabric can go in and stay in rather than flaring out again.

For a normal shaped person suppressing the waist to be skin-tight wont ever look good simply because a V shape looks good, not an hour-glass.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

:lurk:

I have a kind of morbid fascination with these bad suit from Hong Kong threads.

14. bluesman528

bluesman528 Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. Did you really look at the pics from the rear side? Whatever it is, "great looking" does not come to mind. And I think this is beyond repair (too small, way too tight in the back and way too short). The OP has a prominent backside that has to be addressed in MTM.

:laugh:

15. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

I agree that it definitely looks tight throughout. Have you considered getting a refitting then?

16. wbb2

wbb2 Member

What do you mean by prominent backside? Just my butt? Or my overall back? what do i need to tell the tailor next time to make sure he does the backside right?

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Think they're going to have to start over TBH. To me it looks like they completely screwed-up on your measurements. Almost like they got your measurements mixed up with someone else.

wbb2 I read your original posts, ready in 2.5 days. Don't tell me, you were in HK for three days on a visit, and it's one of those things that you have to get, The ready in two days Hong Kong tailor made suit. Count it as a lesson learned, put it down to experience, $600 down the drain and you'll know not to do it again. Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui was it?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  18. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

19. wbb2

wbb2 Member

Again, this was NOT a TST hassle shop. it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong. if you search on styleforum severla members had quite good experiences with them.

And i was in HK for a total of 3.5 full days. What happened was :

Day 1: measurement. i chose a ROyal blue fabric.
    Day 1 pm : first trial. they had part of the suit complete ( 1 sleeve, etc. ). However, the color of the royal blue fabric i chose i was not happy with, so i insisted that they scrap the suit and change the color to navy blue. I asked if i need to come in for more fittings and htey said no, they'll replicate based on the royal blue fitting. I was quite concerned about this, but being a semi-reputable tailor, i left it up to them. ( lesson learned - always push for more fittings ).
    Day 2 - nothing
    Day 3 pm : final pickup of naby blue final suit. I noticed how tight it was in the shoulders particularly and the divots in teh shoulders. They said they would try to fix the divots on the side of the shoulders, but the top of the shoulder wrinkles could be resolved by ironing. ( I was very skeptical of this, but i took their word hesitantly for it, being a reputable tailor -- nicolas cage made some suits here before ).The pants were also too long. They said they would fix this and send the suit to me complete.

Day 10 - i receive the suit and it is as shown. pants were STILL too long by 1" ( i know what to look for for pant length). something so easy to fix they neglected on getting right.

So a lot of it was my fault.

To Baron Kay's credit, they have offered to fully refund the amount i paid to them if i send it back to them, which i will.

However, Mike Li is their salesperson. He is quite the salesman, very pushy. I sent him 25 pictures of the suit and he kept insisting that there was nothing wrong with the suit, it was "slim fit" like i asked for, etc., etc. It worried me that he was so defensive about the suit. A good tailor should not try to pass off the mistakes and rely on you the customer who doesn't know exactly what to look for to try to get you to accept the suit.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Now that sounds very much like a hassle shop to me. So it's not touts outside, it's pushy commission driven sales people inside the store. "it's a semi reputable shop Baron Kay in Hong Kong" "slim fit"?...did you specifically ask for slim fit or skinny?

You were warned about them in the one reply to your http://www.styleforum.net/t/309522/hk-suits-baron-kay-william-cheng-jantzens thread.
    "All are no good for suiting. Better to chip in more"

Next time you need a HK suit go to WW Chan or someone who is completely reputable, and you will need to spend more money and take much longer.

BTW three years ago, I had a MTM blazer made by the infamous/famous Sam's Tailor, who were not pushy I found, and nor did they try to upsell me. I'm actually happy with it, I like wearing it and hasn't fallen apart yet. :) The fact a tailor made a suit once for a celeb(Nicholas Cage) is no real guide if they're any good or not. That's what Sam's relies on, they've got a wall full of celebs wearing his apparel. :crazy:

It's good that Baron has offered you a complete refund if you return it.