1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Critic the fit of these Levis 514 jeans wanted

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Frankie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Frankie

Frankie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Here are some pictures of my recent purchase of Levis 514. I have found them in W33 L34. Note that I don't necessarily want skinny jeans but will try on the 511. And don't critic the shoes because they are not shoes I'm wearing...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you

François

2. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

The shoes you are wearing are not the shoes you are wearing.

You just blew my mind.

2 people like this.
  3. Frankie

Yeah... I mean I used them for the sake of the picture, my everyday shoes are at work and I'm wearing boots as it's winter... Sorry

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

It looks to me like you could use a little more rise.

5. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Well-Known Member

fit

fit is not great - getting a serious aladdin effect

do a google image search for 'apc new standard' - most of the top images portray how blue jeans properly fit. since denim is such a rigid/stiff fabric, it needs to be closer to the body in order to look good. so a trimmer fit is the correct or proper fit

511 are not really skinny jeans, and judging by your figure, would suit you much better than these ones.

do a google image search on 'james dean blue jeans'. back then, they didn't call them skinny jeans, it was just the proper way the pants fit. nowadays, guys are scared to wear things that are form-fitting, so anything non-baggy must be called "skinny"

wash

also, there's the issue of the ugly wash. i mean the artificial whiskering around the fly and artificial fading on the front and seat. it just looks really ugly.

the idea behind artificial distressing on jeans is to replicate the cool fading/whiskering you see on a great-fitting pair of blue jeans as they're worn over time. the problem is that artificial distressing [1] doesn't look cool, unlike the real thing [2] it's obvious that it's artificial distressing, and it looks funny

you would be much better off buying a plain-old pair of blue jeans WITHOUT any sort of artificial fading/whiskering/distressing. this includes blue jeans that have been stone-washed (almost all jeans that aren't a deep, clean blue have been stone-washed)

other

it looks like you got a pair in your usual pant size. you should NOT get a pair in your usual pant size, since denim stretches out during the first few weeks of wear, leaving you with a pair of even baggier pants than you already have

jeans should be a little tight/uncomfortable the first time you wear them. the material will stretch out over the course of several weeks, leaving you with a pair of pants that actually conforms to your figure. go with a pair of jeans that you can button without straining, but that are a bit tight in the waist, especially when you sit down

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. Frankie

Well I guess I can't do anything about the rise. If I go for a longer rise I would have to go with roomier pants in the thighs that sit on the hip like the 559 or the slouchy 520 taper.

Yes they fit a little like sweatpants. And there is too much material at the calves.

I agree. I tried to avoid more noticeble whiskering but almost all jeans come with these these days. Do you recommend I go with raw denim?

Thanks for the advice. I'll hit the store and get a refund. I'll think "James Dean". Also I paid too much money on them. I'm in Canada. These were $100 with taxes while they are $40 in the USA. It's frustrating.

François

7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

If you're in Canada a pair of Naked and Famous Skinnyguys Indigo should be around the same price

8. Frankie

Thanks. I'm in Montréal and will see if I can find a retail store. Their website is really cool. They are made in Canada with quality Japanese fabric. I like that.

François

9. gwydion

gwydion Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have any difficulty finding it here. It sells pretty much everywhere.