1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crepe sole?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by XeF4, Jul 10, 2008.

1. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

I agree that crepe soles are just about the most comfortable soles for boots/shoes. I do know that they don't last very long and are less of a hard wearing sole than vibram-type soles. But like I've said in another post, their meant to be comfortable not durable. You will still get some mileage out them and I would just keep replacing them when they wear down. At least for me, comfort is more important.
    How long do crepe soles last? Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain? Will the water quickly wear through the sole like it does for leather soles?

2. bombers

bombers Well-Known Member

From the Clarks DB thread it is not good with water and there's no traction.

3. theuglylover

theuglylover Well-Known Member

Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain?

Only if you want to slip and fracture your hip. Sometimes it'll feel you're on a skating rink.

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Well-Known Member

Out of curiousity, what are the advantages of crepe over the traditional rubber sole?

You will be in step with everyone at Opening Ceremony.

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

I'm using them for walking the dog in the winter on an icy dirt road. Last winter I nearly bit the dust on many occasion when wearing Vibram soled boots. And they are comfy as noted.

6. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

How long do crepe soles last?

Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain? Will the water quickly wear through the sole like it does for leather soles?

don't dare wear crepe in the rain. If you have them on and it starts raining, you should immediately take them off and hold them sole-side down under your arms, and find shelter. wait for the rain to stop, and then to dry completely, and then walk home - CAREFULLY

7. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

i just got a pair of y's boots in the mail with crepe soles. never had tried crepe soles before but WOW they are comfortable.

8. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

Vibram soles. Your cobbler can put em on for 50 bucks.

/thread

seriously

9. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of crepe sole. Alden's has ridges and a leather tip and is said to be ok in bad weather. It's also supposed to last a lot longer than the Clarks

10. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Well-Known Member

My redwings I wear 5 times a week and have since january. They started getting flat spots around 6 months. I'd say at around 1 year and 2 months total I will need to look at replacing the bottom. The only probably I have is when they smoothed out they are slicker than hell on tile when wet. Just wear your damn boots.

11. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

ive never had a problem with crepe in the rain.

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Like most things, the quality of the material is the determining factor. Generally, I'd expect the more expensive boots to hold up better than the cheaper ones. The cheap soles are from low-end manufacturers and crack, flake away, and aren't as comfy as the better quality goods. So, if you're paying <$100 for some boots, regardless of the sole material, don't expect them to hold up long.

13. lwkeung

lwkeung Well-Known Member

The crepe soles of my Clarks has started hardening (from dryness? or many gunk?)
    Is there a way to return it to it's original sponginess?
    I heard about placing them into an oven?

14. bare bodkin

bare bodkin Well-Known Member

Don't do it.

15. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

The crepe soles of my Clarks has started hardening (from dryness? or many gunk?)
    Is there a way to return it to it's original sponginess?

you could try askin in the clarks db thread but it just sounds like a bad idea. ask who or wherever you heard it but its not something i think sounds correct

16. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Don't do it.

DO IT!

17. handsometigers

handsometigers Well-Known Member

^this

18. Christobevii3

This is why they are slick in the rain. The front area when you walk is flat now from the last 10 months of wear, hence when I'm on tile at work that they wax and they are wet means you slide and pull your hamstring or some shit.

[​IMG]

19. jet

jet Well-Known Member

not crepe noob and good

20. Christobevii3

So when they are listed as crepe sole they aren't, interesting...