1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crepe/rubber soles. Properly welted?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BrogueTrooper, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BrogueTrooper

BrogueTrooper Member

Firstly, hello to one and all. I'm a long-time lurker but first-time poster.

I want to add a pair of suede desert boots to my collection. However, I have seen plenty of crepe or rubber soled boots from the likes of Grenson, Cheaney, Church etc that appear to have a welted construction, but no stitching is visible on the underside of the sole.

Is this a standard construction for desert boots? Is the welt just for show, with the sole being glued in place, or do crepe soles have some sort of hidden stitching? I don't want to spend several hundred £ on a boot with glued soles, so any advice on this would be most appreciated.

2. Dnslater

Dnslater Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Clarks desert boots. Appears that there is a leather sole that is stitched/welted to the upper and footbed and then the Crepe is glued to the leather sole. They are a minimalist design with little structure but very comfortable.

I would save your money and buy the Clarks if the more expensive brands make them the same way. I've seen a few people resole the Clarks DB with new Vibram soles and they look terrific.

3. decogeo

decogeo Active Member

I have a pair of chukka boots with a crepe rubber sole. The stitching is visible underfoot. Not sure the stitching could be hidden in a crepe sole though.

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

If you can see the stitching from the top but not the bottom it's likely they were constructed using a "mid" or "slip" sole.
    The welt is stitched to the upper, the mid-sole is stitched to the welt, the sole is cemented to the mid-sole.