1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crate vs. Farinelli: The Official Jeans Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jun 1, 2009.

1. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I don't have any holes in the back. Just stitching and the lack of rivets in the front

2. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

Anyone?

In general, she can't. This exact denim is done/gone/finito/adios. From it's description by mauro and several other experts this was a one off from Cone Mills premium White Oak line.

One of the real experts here may be able to point you to a very lightweight selvedge overdye that is similar, but off the top off my head I don't know of any.

In general, women's denim I have come across from higher end companies like Slings & Stones and Current/Elliot the denim tends to be very nice but very traditional.

3. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

personally I don't really know how practical raw 100% cotton jeans are for women... but in the end, for women, its fit that is 99% of the reason you buy the jean, everything else (detailing, construction, etc) amounts to almost nothing

4. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

There aren't holes in the back?

Yep. They are there. Not really noticeable, though. But I can see them getting worse.

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

she can't... this was a limited production denim and is used up. there are other similiar denims (dark jeans, black overdyes, etc), though. I will try to think of some for her. what kind of cuts does she like?

Not sure how to even answer. If you give suggestions, she could look at some web photos.

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Not sure how to even answer. If you give suggestions, she could look at some web photos.

well if you asked her, I"m sure she'd know. just ask 'slim, straight or bootcut?"

7. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

Yep. They are there. Not really noticeable, though. But I can see them getting worse.

mine have expanded/frayed more already.

8. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

well if you asked her, I"m sure she'd know. just ask 'slim, straight or bootcut?"

Trust me - she wouldn't. She said she buys a pair every three years and spends $19.99

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Trust me - she wouldn't. She said she buys a pair every three years and spends $19.99

send her to www.shopfarinellis.com and ask her just to browse through the women's section for jeans.. pick out a few she likes, we can work from there

10. APK

APK Well-Known Member

...as holes in fabric tend to do with wear.

Man, this is really unfortunate to hear considering the denim's scarcity. Are the size of the holes at the six- and 12-month mark going to be added to judging process?

"The way those holes have expanded is some next level shit."

11. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

It did occur to me that this will have a significant impact on attrition re: the contest.

Fingers crossed my pair is perfect somehow...

12. grundletaint

the winner will be decided upon the size of their grundleholes

13. th0rbahn

th0rbahn Well-Known Member

glad they have a nickname now

14. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

send her to www.shopfarinellis.com and ask her just to browse through the women's section for jeans.. pick out a few she likes, we can work from there

I am seeing a lot of stuff with spandex in it. Can you give me a shortlist of the ones using better Japanese denim? That is what she liked when she saw the CvFs.

15. mulansauce

mulansauce Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with spandex, especially in women's jeans. If you are going to wear something that tight, you are going to be grateful for the spandex.

16. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I am seeing a lot of stuff with spandex in it. Can you give me a shortlist of the ones using better Japanese denim? That is what she liked when she saw the CvFs.

honestly, the problem with a 100% cotton jean is that they tend to stretch and sag.. and can end up looking pretty shitty. for men its not a big deal, but for women I would strongly recommend a jean with at least some stretch too it.. they keep their shape much, much better.

there are some unisex jeans that are raw.. jean shop narrow fits, apc petit standards. nudie has some raw cuts as well for women, but they are very slim (and not 100% cotton.. so I guess they aren't really 'raw')

17. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Or the contest could work in reverse: who can make their jeans look the least de-constructed after six months. It'll be a patching/stitching/re-riveting contest.

18. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with spandex, especially in women's jeans. If you are going to wear something that tight, you are going to be grateful for the spandex.

honestly, the problem with a 100% cotton jean is that they tend to stretch and sag.. and can end up looking pretty shitty. for men its not a big deal, but for women I would strongly recommend a jean with at least some stretch too it.. they keep their shape much, much better.

there are some unisex jeans that are raw.. jean shop narrow fits, apc petit standards. nudie has some raw cuts as well for women, but they are very slim (and not 100% cotton.. so I guess they aren't really 'raw')

I think this is why she just buys a $19.99 pair every three years. Too much thinking involved.
    She is 5'8" and pretty thin, but not the type to wear stretch anything.
    The only appeal would be the raw denim, so I think I'll have her look at some of the brands you mentioned or any other suggestions.

19. VolsVolsVols

VolsVolsVols Well-Known Member

Okay, what the fuck. I have worn my Crate vs. Farinelli jeans for a grand total of EIGHT HOURS and the crotch has completely blown out. Compound this with the fact that the legs have an inverse-stacking effect going on, and I think that these are the worst jeans ever created.

20. grundletaint

wtf is inverse stacking? you can't triple stamp a double stamp.