1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crate Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by N4UY, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

People here on the forums have done it, I believe. There was a picture on mynudies.com of someone who'd done that to one of his pairs, and it looked fine--I can't find it at the moment, but someone may have it around.

For my part, I don't mind the pocket stitching, but if I wanted a pair to "dress up", I'd probably do it. If I pull the trigger on a pair of Svens and take the seam-ripper to them, I'll post pics.

2. nomovement

nomovement Well-Known Member

I'm gonna do it too and when people ask me what kind of jeans they are-I'm gonna tell them that they're tuffskins (sears circa 1989)

anyway, back to crate-what about the buttons popping off?

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I finally went ahead and bought a new pair of jeans. I decided on the Crate James IV in Black (instead of dry black Slim Jim or RB6). Anyway I ought to get it by the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Worried about sizing though. I measured myself as a 32" though I always wear 30" (though my diesels are a 29"). I was tempted to order a 32" pair but I flinched and went with a 31", hopefully it wont be too tight.

PS - the "meager" price after the 20% coupon made me feel much better about tapping into my savings

4. nomovement

where'd you order form? activeendeavors?

5. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention I emailed Crate and asked them to mail me a catalog.

Really nice guys from Eagle Rock apparently.

Should be coming in any day now.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Really nice guys from Eagle Rock apparently.

Crate is from Eagle Rock, CA? as in the city right next to Glendale? cool.

All those pics of Crates look pretty good.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

where'd you order form? activeendeavors?

Yeah, activeendeavours. I actually called them yesterday with questions about fit and stuff b/w the RB6 and the Crate. They said the RB are better quality (reflected in the price), crates are nice as well though. And the Crates are on the skinny side. I figured for just over $100 I can take the risk with the James IV

8. nomovement

there's a shop here in chi that carries crate. they are really really thin; but for $100 I still think they're cool.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

there's a shop here in chi that carries crate. they are really really thin; but for $100 I still think they're cool.

Yes, they are really thin. And the lack of any substantial hardware doesn't make them any more durable. But for the money and the cut, they are pretty good. Just don't think to be putting them through the same kind of wear that APCs can endure.

Eagle Rock is right beside Pasadena. Not much there, really, except for a bowling/karaoke place that I used to go to once in a while.

10. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Eagle Rock is right beside Pasadena. Not much there, really, except for a bowling/karaoke place that I used to go to once in a while.

Don't forget Casa Bianca, the best pizza place in L.A., or Senor Fish for great fish tacos. I think Mr. T's Bowl might be gone now (is that the place?)

11. whodini

Don't forget Casa Bianca, the best pizza place in L.A., or Senor Fish for great fish tacos. I think Mr. T's Bowl might be gone now (is that the place?)
    It's funny you mention that. When the guy from Crate wrote back asking for my address, that's when I found out that they were based out of Eagle Rock. I mentioned how I could go for a slice from Casa Bianca and he wrote back saying that they all go there way too often. Let's not forget Cafe Beaujolais or Swork's if we're talking about cool places in the hood.

12. LA Guy

Hmmm... nice. Although I always thought that Senor Fish was in Pasadena proper. Just down Orange Grove, right? Or am I remembering incorrectly...

13. whodini

I always thought it was a chain. You're thinking of the one across from Trader Joe's in South Pas, right?

14. LA Guy

I always thought it was a chain. You're thinking of the one across from Trader Joe's in South Pas, right?

Yeah, that one. Tasty fish!

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I think LAG was referring to All Star Lanes in eagle rock...we used to go there all the time for Rockabilly shows. They were going to close it down but the owner saved it and it's still there but not really doing shows anymore.

Mr Ts bowl is in Highland Park....was just there couple weekends ago for a show.

16. LA Guy

I think LAG was referring to All Star Lanes in eagle rock...we used to go there all the time for Rockabilly shows. They were going to close it down but the owner saved it and it's still there but not really doing shows anymore.

Mr Ts bowl is in Highland Park....was just there couple weekends ago for a show.

Yeah, All Star Lanes. Drunken bowling and drunken singing (they turn down your volume if you are exceptionally bad.) Good times for all. Started my bachelor party there.

17. whodini

Looks like I got a new place to check out when the Chalet gets crowded.

18. Alfa

Alfa Well-Known Member

That's funny that the Crate people are in Eagle Rock as I used to live in the 'Rock. I enjoyed Fatty's as well for good vegetarian food, but I have to be the dissenter and say that Casa Bianca was not as good as I was told (although I am a NY'er so I am biased).

Back to the Crates, does anyone else's James IV say "James the Third" inside besides myself and the OP? Also, I would actually size down a size, my Crates have stretched a decent amount from very little wear.

19. whodini

I know this isn't the food forum and I'll quickly return this forum back to Crate once I get their catalog, but did you ever make it out to Vito's on Vermont south of Los Feliz when it was still open a few years back? That was about as NY as it could ever be. Fatty's "coffee" side sucks.

Ok, back to Crate chat.

20. chadler

chadler Well-Known Member

i just got the sally's as a gift...and i think if they were bootcut i'd probably like them more than the james IV. the beltloops are folded and sewn unlike the james IV. that's the only thing that bugs me about the james iv. other than that, they are a sweet pair of jeans. they fold really nice at the bottom. i'm a 31 in RRDS...could even do 30, and these james iv are a 32. right now they are a perfect fit, which has me a little worried about stretching. oh well...we'll see how they turn out i suppose

anyways, i'm selling the sally's if anyone is interested. i'll let them go for cheaper than active endeavors with their 20% off coupon!