• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

critic

Reaction score
first pair of raws

selvaged journal crates, curious to know what you think of the fit seeing as these are my first set.

78787790lm6.png

35838875gs9.png

pydbl

Reaction score
So i bought a pair of journal today from Barney's. I could barely button the 2nd button from top. The sale person said it would be okay...but now that I tried them on at home, I doubt they will stretch out that significantly. Do you guys know how much Crate denim typically stretches? Thanks! This is how they look right now.
3140714774_8852c93e80.jpg
They are actually not that tight on my legs.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The denim will stretch some if applied pressure.

If they fit well otherwise, you can manually stretch out the waist by spraying water over the problem spots and try buttoning up the whole way.

If the jeans are also too tight elsewhere, return.

critic, that's an excellent fit.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I've been wearing my Crate routes for a couple of weeks now and I love them. Some thoughts:
  • The denim looks great, although on the thin side as some have commented, kind of streaky and deep in color.
  • I was a bit worried about the mid-long rise, but it turns out I actually prefer a longer rise.
  • They stretch quite a bit so I'd recommend sizing down 1 from your natural waist if you want them to be a perfect fit around the waist. If you intend to wear them a bit lower than the rise would normally suggest or prefer a looser fit around the waist, I'd go for the same size as your natural waist. (I have a 33,7" waist, got 34" Crate routes which now are about 35" after initial soak and two weeks of nearly daily wear.)
  • The styling is very minimalistic. The styling elements that are visible (rivets and stitching) attract little attention but look very nice upon closer inspection. I like.
Definitely have my recommendation. I'm considering getting a pair of Ande Whalls to alternate, but once this pair wears out there's a good chance I'll replace them with a new pair.

pydbl

Reaction score
Thx for the info. Could u button ur crate all the way up though, when u bought it?

Originally Posted by obiter dictum
I've been wearing my Crate routes for a couple of weeks now and I love them. Some thoughts:

• The denim looks great, although on the thin side as some have commented, kind of streaky and deep in color.
  • I was a bit worried about the mid-long rise, but it turns out I actually prefer a longer rise.
  • They stretch quite a bit so I'd recommend sizing down 1 from your natural waist if you want them to be a perfect fit around the waist. If you intend to wear them a bit lower than the rise would normally suggest or prefer a looser fit around the waist, I'd go for the same size as your natural waist. (I have a 33,7" waist, got 34" Crate routes which now are about 35" after initial soak and two weeks of nearly daily wear.)
  • The styling is very minimalistic. The styling elements that are visible (rivets and stitching) attract little attention but look very nice upon closer inspection. I like.

Definitely have my recommendation. I'm considering getting a pair of Ande Whalls to alternate, but once this pair wears out there's a good chance I'll replace them with a new pair.

nonissue

Reaction score
I thought I'd throw my lot in here.

I bought some crate jacksons last january from context, got them for around 75 dollars with a coupon, they were reduced already.

on advice of someone i talked to, i sized up (32 in nudies, 31 in APC), went with a 33 in crates. when i got them the waist was SUPER tight, could barely get them buttoned, the fit through the leg was ideal.

The denim is nice, they've taken a long time to fade though. Currently at tailors getting a crotch blowout fixed. I've worn them about 3-4 days a week for 8 months. If you can get them cheap they are well worth it, not sure I'd pay full price for them though. Because of sizing up for the waist, they are pretty full leg on me. Not a bad fit overall. Only complaint is the overly large pockets, they seem a little out of place and my wallet slides around a bit.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pydbl
Thx for the info. Could u button ur crate all the way up though, when u bought it?
Yeah, just barely though. Sized down to 33" I might not have been able to without stretching them out first. It might be possible to size down two for an extremely tight fit, but that's a bit too risky for my taste. Edit: Get a tape measure and measure your natural waist (the slimmest part of your stomach, usually a few inches above your belly button) and then subtract 1" from that number for a tight fit.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
What is the inseam typically on the Sally fit ?

I am thinking since these look a bit slimmer than my KMW's, that I might go after a pair at some point.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by critic
35838875gs9.png

Originally Posted by Major Newspaper
After the successful removal of his pelvic bone, the area man has left the hospital and is slowly reworking himself into normal life. He even purchased a pair of raw denim, but tailors had to adjust for his current lack of groin area by cutting the jeans in half and sliding the halves over each individual leg. "Things are going great!" he said. "I have no ass and can't sit down at all, but man do these jeans fit!"

smile.gif

emmitbrown

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of "The Journal", one in a 28 and the other 32. If anyone is interested in them for $75 each, PM me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads