1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crappy fit from BB MTM GF 3p suit? Update with Samuelsohn...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mebiuspower, Mar 24, 2016.

1. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

I picked up the suit yesterday. They did not do the surgeon cuffs that the rep agreed to and written down on the order.

The vest seem to be a bit too loose on the armpit area. The back also has lots of extra room. Not sure if this is normal.

Need the suit for this weekend and will drop it off again. They agree to redo the cuffs and take a look at the vest again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stanchri

stanchri Well-Known Member

definitely a lot of room in the back of the vest. the arm holes also seem rather large from the pictures, but maybe the issue will be lessened by taking in the back.
    from your posts it seems it's quite the headache to get a MTM suit done right around here...

3. mebiuspower

Yes my friend tells me I have a MTM suit curse.

I understand the vest does not have to be skin tight fit, but as you observed the arm holes are rather large which is bothering me.

4. SnowSwat

SnowSwat Member

I am starting to think that MTM is not much better than OTR. Perhaps bespoke>>>>MTM>OTR. Given the SAs are doing the measurements there is always an inherent disconnect between them and the cutter/tailor. Especially at this price point I think we're getting screwed in Toronto.

I had a Samuelsohn suit made up at HR in Ottawa. I should be trying on the first iteration sometime next week. Pray for me.

5. stanchri

I think for the same price point as MTM done here (not sure what Samuelsohn is priced at nowadays, but I'm speaking to BB), one can have a relatively high end maker of RTW, which will arguably have better materials/construction.
    If they can't get fit right, which is mostly the reason one would go for a MTM suit, it defeats the entire purpose. I was also thinking about going for a MTM suit, but I think I'm better off finding a maker that fits my shape and taste, then getting the rest tailored.

Hope your Samuelsohn turns out well. Post an update once you've got the results.

6. mebiuspower

The only reason I went MTM is there are no OTR suits that will fit me. I am a 38L but BB only makes 39L or 40L, even then the jackets are too short for me. I have had 3 OTR suits of various brands that were hacked to death and they still don't fit me - you can only alter so much (always the case of - you can always take in but there's not much material, if any to let out).

The Samuelsohn jacket is the best fit by far of anything I've owned.

I only went MTM after careful consideration. It was determined by multiple tailors that there just isn't a right size/fit of suits for my body, but obviously YMMV.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. stanchri

definitely makes sense in your case. glad that at least the Samuelsohn suit turned out well.
    I would also suggest for you to try the Ralph Lauren Black Label suits Anthony/Nigel if you have a chance (which recently got absorbed into Ralph Lauren Purple Label). They're made by Caruso in Italy. They make a 38L.

8. mebiuspower

Went back to HR yesterday and met with Gary, who was very candid about why the vest was too big. After he checked out everything he said he will have them take in the vest, jacket & pants. They will do the surgeon cuff as well like originally agreed. It will be ready in 10 days. Still waiting for the redo MTM shirt but will likely be ready by then as well.

I brought my ill-fitting, slightly too narrow shoulders blazer to him and had a small discussion about ordering a new blazer. He made me try a Samuelsohn 40T blazer and he said he can make it work without going for MTM. Length of the jacket is sufficient unlike BB jackets. I think I'm going to wait for a sale.

9. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Well-Known Member

Button and pockets are a bit too high for me.

10. SGTROCK

SGTROCK Active Member

Samuelsohn looks much better. Samuelsohn was my first real suit and still fits like a glove.

11. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Around thirty years ago I had a similar experience with Brooks Bros in Chicago.
    And that was the "old" BB before they became a mass marketer with branches in
    in shopping malls and cheap asian imports. I received a complete refund and have
    never bought any tailored clothing from them since.

12. SnowSwat

SnowSwat Member

I received my suit from Samuelsohn through HR but am not satisfied with the fit. I would share some fit pics but I have not taken any.

The coat is simply too big and is currently at HR Yorkdale for alterations. Even after they are completed I doubt I will be satisfied. To be completely honest, the fit of the Richard OTR was better than what I received through the MTM program...

I will likely be putting HR's 100% satisfaction guarantee to the test & will be moving my business to the Yorkdale location hereafter. I found an associate there who I trust can do a much better job.

13. Al9146

Al9146 Well-Known Member

My MTM Richard came out great, but I completely agree with your assessment of finding an associate you can trust. A very experienced manager measured me, but I think the results would have been different if a more junior person did all the measuring.

Definitely put their satisfaction guarantee to the test. Good luck!

14. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Better but the sleeves and shirt are a joke - aren't they? If deliberate then a further cremation is called for!

15. mebiuspower

To be honest my experience at HR Yorkdale wasn't that great either. I had to go back twice because when they told me the suit would be ready by June 1st, well turned out it wasn't. I find a lot of these reps just care about commissions and hurry you out the door once they get your money.

But again, if majority of their customers won't give a fuss about tossing $5k for a zenga OTR suit then maybe I am just in the minority...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  16. Al9146

Al9146 Well-Known Member

I think you're right. I recently came out of retirement and into the business world and went to HR to buy a fancy suit for business meetings. Something respectable and appropriate to grovel for a few million to fund a startup. lol! Not knowing about this forum and not really knowing anything about what to buy, (except that I wanted a full canvas jacket), in hindsight, my experience was sub-par for my OTR experience.

When I buttoned up the top button only of the 2-button jacket, my SA commented that she was happy I knew to only button that one button. Most of her customers didn't know that!

For the sub-par bit: aside from guiding me to a black (with subtle stripes) suit, (SF members facepalming now), the only tailoring she did was to adjust the sleeve and pant leg length. Seriously, what are the chances that I fit that suit so perfectly that nothing else needed to be adjusted?

So with this SA, it's likely that her clients don't know much about suits and the fit will be less than perfect. My new SA is quite different, and I feel a lot better.

17. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

Is there a specific reason that you went for single vented jacket? Both the MTM suits you've posted have had the back vent flaring.

18. mebiuspower

Just personal preference.

19. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

I almost feel bad for posting this, as I've had such great experiences with my SA at BB, but I had an almost opposite BB MTM experience of that of the OP. My jacket came out with sleeves that were too short, the back didn't have excess fabric, but was a bit tight. It looks ok, until you button the jacket, and then the dreaded x appears and a fold above the vent. If I keep a cel phone in one interior pocket a wallet in the other, I almost can't button the top button.

More concerning were the trousers. I have a lot of OTR casual Milano fit trousers, and like the cut and fit. I wear a size 32/34. While working out the size for this MTM order I tried on a few different suit trousers (as they might be cut differently than casual trouser such as chinos or corduroy), and went with Milano fit trousers, but in a size 33 and unhemmed. I figured if they needed a bit of adjusting in any direction it would be do-able. The trousers waist came out very tight (odd as my experience with my other trousers were that they were even a bit loose) and the rise was super low which is surprising since my belief was that suit trousers, if anything, are cut with a higher rise than casual trousers. I suppose I was misled, as the opposite occurred with these. The store heard my plea, and they suggested "letting out the crotch". This didn't really do much, as the rise is still low and the waist and seat are tight. I don't think there's much room in there to increase those measurements. I've worn these twice and I've come to the conclusion that they are unwearable and unalterable. Am I due a remake on these? Am I at fault for ordering the wrong size/fit?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016