1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Swan Song

Swan Song Well-Known Member

Early 1970's black label Tony Lama Belly Bias Cut Alligator in deep brown.

Hardly worn prior to me purchasing from original owner 5-6 years ago, and only periodically since, today was such a day.

[​IMG]

2. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

SS, I like those. Classy classics.

3. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I meant tacky in a good way! Rocketbuster springs to mind. They may be a little on the Hollywood-side of things, but they have some neat looking boots:

[​IMG]

We leave for New Mexico tomorrow bright & early - the Luccheses are packed! :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

In your opinion, what is the best leather for cowboy boots? Goatskin? Buffalo? Calfskin? Also, are scratches considered something that gives your boots character, or should they be treated like any other pair of shoes, in that you do your best to get rid of scuffs and scratches?

I've gone through this thread several times but this is the first time I've seen this picture (or recall seeing it) and holy... those are absolutely gorgeous. How much did they cost?

5. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Speaking of Rocketbuster Boots......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Swan Song

GamaH,

Best leather? ...... I have boots for various activities.

For me, I wear my vintage elephant, bullhide or calf for the abuse they can take and the relative small cost. I keep them clean but not so worried about scuffs and such. I like character in a work boot.

And the ones I have posted with pictures here are worn for work (I'm mostly at a desk but some walking involved) and social activities that I maintain like my shoes. Clean, condition, dab of cream/polish.

Buffalo is tough like bullhide. Put Rhino and Hippo in this class, you'll never wear them out....... like elephant. Durable x10.

Goat is tough yet thin and light weight and easily scratched and scuffed and you'll feel it if you drop something on your toes. Glove soft when broken in. Not a work boot, makes a very nice and light walking boot. Only boot I size down a half size to compensate for goat's flexibility. Perfect fit ....."after" it seems tight the first 4-5 times you wear and condition them, then poof, perfect forever.

Caboots was having a clearance and a percentage off sale you could stack 4-5 years ago. These have a cuban heel and I walk more like John Wayne in these(now I know his secret) I think I paid less than $200. Might have been around $150. Tall stovepipe shaft. Not bad for that much suede. Love the chocolate color. Dress/Fun Boot......don't work in these. Very comfortable, if not walking any long distances.

I know, cuban heel? what the...? Well, Tom Mix wore cuban heels. Good enough for me. A picture of a Tom Mix reproduction:

[​IMG]

If I failed to answer your questions, please type the question more slowly next time.:)

7. Swan Song

Thanks

Here is a Justin Alligator in a Triad Boot. High End Justin from the 1970's. Only Triad in gator I have run across.

[​IMG]

8. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

I always liked this style of boots. Not too pointed of a toe and not the underslung heels that make the boots not too good for anything but sitting a saddle.
    I have a pair of Tony Lama El Rey alligators that are 35 or so years old and still in very good condition though I have worn them a lot.

9. Swan Song

These Justin's actually feel and have the heft of the finest(re:Lucchese) full grain calf on the upper. Intricate stitch pattern, too.

Post some pictures of your gators

10. Swan Song

PICTURES SHOWING MORE DETAIL

[​IMG]]

[​IMG]

11. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

i really like those. The toe shape is particularly nice

12. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

Thanks Swan Song, you answered them all (I think, which means you probably did). :)

13. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

I love that stitch pattern.

Not too big a fan of the toe though. Being short and all, anything but pointed toes make me look like a midget or a clown.

14. Swan Song

M.L. Leddy custom boot (just not originally for me), but unworn and perfectly mint, until today :)

Navy calf

[​IMG]

15. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Lucchese Black Calf, brand new, hitting the ground for the first time today.

(Yes, I'm trying to be as much like Swan Song as possible.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  16. Swan Song

Speaking from experience....the world only needs one of me.

Like the boots....Weddings, funerals and jury trial boots. Hope you are the lawyer not the defendant.:)

17. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

Is that the R Toe?

18. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Think they said it was a J-toe.

Edit: The model is T3094.R4. Maybe the "R" signifies an R-toe?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  19. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

Yup, R toe 4 Heel.

I'm tempted to buy a few pairs online but I heard that Kangaroo leather (which is the pair I want) is banned in a few states... Goddamn it.

I can't even have it shipped to a sibling overseas or to a vacation home outside of the US because of the ridiculous import/export fee.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  20. Swan Song

Found my invoice and they were $140 plus tax, $400 with 65% off.

And these are my other Chocolate Suede.....Custom made(but not for me) by Pascal of Hollywood Riff Raff....cost a bit more. Bought them from Pascal, new, the guy never came to pick them up.

Chocolate,white, green, and red.....red stitching at toe, plus red and green on the collar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012