1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Could rising gas prices kill the suburbs?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by benecios, Aug 15, 2006.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

I think that over the next 50 years, cities in which it's easy to live without a car are going to boom, and cities where a car is an absolute necessity are going to have significant problems.

Public transit, while not perfect, is fantastic in New York. Much easier than having a car. And the savings of not owning/maintaining/fueling/parking a car helps to offset the ridiculous costs of housing. $150 a month for my wife and I for transportation is great. 2 unlimited subway cards.

Exactly. The areas where light rail is going in in Seattle are supposedly great markets to buy into. Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous gridlock in the way these projects run (and get cancelled, and voted in again, and cancelled again) we are still never sure if and when this is going to happen. But if and when it does, those areas that are connected will see an immediate jump in property values and rent prices because of it.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Today I realized I only got 9-10MPG.

I think the valves need to be adjusted since it is also running rich.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Just build more strip malls!

And since alot of Americans think WalMart has all the answers lets start there.[​IMG]

4. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be concerned about gas bills. I would be concerned about the home repair issues on that cheap-slab, OSB, Tyvek, plastic siding, slap-up shit they build in suburbia.

5. someoneNew

someoneNew Well-Known Member

Anyone who lives in and around the bay area knows that you just can't "move to the city." When 2 BR condos that are decades old are going in the mid 400s people are gonna move farther and farther away. People with 6 figure incomes are commuting over 70 miles one way so they can afford housing. These people will NOT be wanting/keeping big gas guzzling SUVs.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

Today I realized I only got 9-10MPG. I think the valves need to be adjusted since it is also running rich.
    Check to see if your air filter needs changing. Running rich is due to the carburetion and air/fuel supply issues.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Just build more strip malls!

And since alot of Americans think WalMart has all the answers lets start there.[​IMG]

That's so wrong :p

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Check to see if your air filter needs changing. Running rich is due to the carburetion and air/fuel supply issues.
    The air filter, a very large contraption, was just replaced. However, it mostly seems due to the Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection system, which runs very well if finely adjusted by hand.