1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Costco "Fancy Pants"--No More?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

For some years, I have thought that the Italian-made worsted wool pleated slacks offered by Costco and referred to by Costco employees as their "Fancy Pants" were one of the best bargains in affordable yet decent menswear. (I have eight pairs.) Availability has always been seasonal and intermittent. However, I have not seen any fresh ones for sale at my local Costco (Signal Hill, CA) for well over a year and maybe even longer than that. (I was just at Costco today, which brought it to mind.)

Does anybody know if Costco still handles these trousers or has seen them available in quantity in recent months?

Some years ago the price was $40. Over the years the price has crept up to about $47. Still a helluva bargain, IMO. I hope they will continue to be available.

2. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

They have brown or tan in 30/32 for $20 on the Costco web site right now.

I saw then in the Kirkland, WA store a month or so ago.

3. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic of the tag to see if we can figure out who makes them.

4. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic of the tag to see if we can figure out who makes them.

Aren't we still waiting on a few pics of Jan's custom Allen-Edmonds? [​IMG]

This is the label on my pair. I'm not sure if there were many iterations of these pants, but an RN lookup on mine doesn't seem to yield any interesting information.

[​IMG]

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

That's a Kiton label. [​IMG]

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

That's a Kiton label.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was in Costco a few days ago and did not see any. [​IMG]

7. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Well-Known Member

Our local Oak Brook One had about 20 pairs, first time ever they had light gray and picked up a few pair.

8. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen them since last year. The fabrics are nice enough but they only come with double pleats so I've never bought any. Unless you know someone who is a Costco buyer, forget about tracking down the maker of those pants. It could be any one of dozens of Italian factories and not any of the high-end makers that are well known here.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Well-Known Member

This is the label on my pair. I'm not sure if there were many iterations of these pants, but an RN lookup on mine doesn't seem to yield any interesting information.

[​IMG]

Odd question, but what does RN# stand for? Is it run number?

10. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Well-Known Member

Odd question, but what does RN# stand for? Is it run number?
    It is a tracking number I believe you can use to locate who it was made by. I am looking for the gov't site where that info is but lost the link

11. farfisa23

farfisa23 Well-Known Member

It is a tracking number I believe you can use to locate who it was made by.

I am looking for the gov't site where that info is but lost the link

As a committed lover esoteric knowledge, this forum has given me countless hours of amusement and a whole slew of facts I do not really need, but am stoked to have.

Huzzah!

12. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

It is a tracking number I believe you can use to locate who it was made by.

I am looking for the gov't site where that info is but lost the link

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/TextileRN/wrnquery$tts_rn.queryview?P_RN_TYPE=RN&P_RN_SEQ=106630&Z_CHK=6610

13. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair in brown a couple days ago from the website - at that price they are a real bargain. The Issaquah, WA store had a bunch for sale at regular price around Christmas time.

14. jyook

jyook Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair in brown a couple days ago from the website - at that price they are a real bargain. The Issaquah, WA store had a bunch for sale at regular price around Christmas time.

All they have at my Costco are the black ones... I don't want to bring up black again but that's all they have...

15. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm still waiting for photos of his green Chan blazer.

16. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

No pics yet ?

I'd lose my faith in the internets ....

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

The plot thickens...
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5AC0A965958260

OPENINGS; A Manhattan Express to Moscow
    By ERIC MESSINGER
    Published: September 12, 1993

Very few people in Moscow go to Red Square for night life. But that's this week.

Opening next Sunday, a new club, styled in the spirit of hip late-night New York hot spots, may just become a required destination for fashionable young Muscovites looking to party.

Many Western trends have surfaced in Moscow during its tumultuous drive toward capitalism. The club, named Manhattan Express, is trying to become the city's latest trendy scene.

To this end, its owners hired two well-established entrepreneurs of the New York club world, David Rabin and Will Regan, to create Manhattan Express. Mr. Rabin and Mr. Regan are the co-directors of Club USA, the mega-size hot spot in Manhattan's theater district, and the former owners of Rex, a Chelsea supper club that closed in June of 1992.

"There are already about eight or so nightclubs around town, but they are your most basic kind of setups, with plastic tables and crude theatrical lights," Mr. Rabin said in a telephone interview from Moscow. "Manhattan Express is a fully comprehensive club, with New York style and sensibility."

Not to mention attitude. The club will include a cafe (American nouvel fare), a V.I.P. room (stocked with caviar and vodka) and the presence of those haughty St. Peters of style -- a k a door people -- who decide who has the right cachet to be allowed in. The music will be house and techno, with helpings of rap and funk.

Covering more than 10,000 square feet, the club, in the Hotel Rossiya facing Red Square, is ensconced in plush deep-toned drapery and carpets; its furnishings and overall interior design, though, favor the sleek.

For its owners, Kontakt US International Inc., a Russian import-export company, the cost of creating hipness has been about $2 million.

To hype Manhattan Express, Mr. Rabin and Mr. Regan have been networking in Moscow's fashion and film industries, and engaging in endless media interviews. While they have had freedom in developing the club, they did have one disagreement with the owners: the name.

"We were looking for something more subtle," Mr. Rabin said, "but one of the owners -- and probably to his credit -- felt that the name had to hit you over the head; that people had to know that this place is all about how it's done in New York."

Kontact US is also listed as a gun store in Great Neck.

I think this proves rather conclusively than JLib is a member of the Russian mob.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Well-Known Member

I was in the local Costco (UK) last week and they have a few pairs of the Super 100s pants left, but they seem to have been worryingly usurped by similar looking but non Super 100s pants that don't seem anywhere near as well made (still called Kirkland Signature Dress Pants in similar colours). The hand is certainly not as nice. They were about 7 pounds per pair cheaper than the originals.....I hope this is not the end for the bargain Fancy Pants....

19. Palladio

Palladio Well-Known Member

I bought 8 pairs at the Pittsburgh Costco several weeks ago. When I called ahead, they said that they had 179 pairs in stock, and it looked like they had about that on the tables. Western PA is all good, it seems.

20. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

So the Russian Mafia makes the Costco pants??