1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cost of Shirting Linen by the Yard

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kirbya, Apr 24, 2007.

1. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the current cost of a yard of nice shirting linen? In preparation of the summer months (ahm horrific Texas heat), I asked my shirtmaker, Ripley, to do a linen shirt for me. However, he is claiming that the cost has somehow skyrocketed and is about $75 a yard. Is this correct? Seems a little high... but I may just not have a clue what quality linen goes for. Instead, he recommended a cotton that has the texture of linen... any thoughts? I believe he was quoting Shirtex linen (from Canada).

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

That sounds like a ridiculous price, as shirting silk can be had for $20/yd.

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

I am not going to quote prices here.
    But. Linen from Europe is very expensive these days. From Italy and Ireland.

I sometimes order from an Irish importer that stocks in the US. my problem is that they have a somewhat large minimum for my needs. I would have to buy 25 yards. It can be split between 3 colors, then I have to sit on it.
    so if Riply is buying a single shirt length from Shirtex. It will be expensive. Shipping alone from Shirtex in Canada is about $20 for a small package.

You can buy less expensive linen from Eastern Europe, but the quality is not the same.

shirting silks come from China, which are lower in price. Shirting silks from italy are very expensive today, unless you can find some old inventory that someone wants to unload.
    Carl

4. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the current cost of a yard of nice shirting linen? In preparation of the summer months (ahm horrific Texas heat), I asked my shirtmaker, Ripley, to do a linen shirt for me. However, he is claiming that the cost has somehow skyrocketed and is about $75 a yard. Is this correct? Seems a little high... but I may just not have a clue what quality linen goes for. Instead, he recommended a cotton that has the texture of linen... any thoughts? I believe he was quoting Shirtex linen (from Canada).

Data point:

Acorn is $41 a yard inclusive of shipping with no minimum order.

5. bob

bob Well-Known Member

Here is another alternative. http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Gianf...ila_Linen.html
    Have not used them myself, or had any experience with this fabric.
    However, I believe some members have purchased from Hwa Seng, perhaps they could provide feedback on their reliability.

6. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

Any experience with these manufacturers? Would the quality be respectable for a quality shirt?

7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Haven't used their shirtings but in general Hwa Seng supplies above average goods and the service is excellent.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I haven't had much luck with pure linen shirtings, at least not as a shirt to be worn under a jacket with a tie. The cloth just tends to be too thick. Linen-cottons, on the other hand, are terrific.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I haven't had much luck with pure linen shirtings, at least not as a shirt to be worn under a jacket with a tie. The cloth just tends to be too thick. Linen-cottons, on the other hand, are terrific.
    Try the heaviest weight linen from the DJ Anderson book. It only comes in white and holds up very well under a sportjacket and with a tie. It is very open as far as the weave goes, so it may not be to your personal taste.

10. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

The problem with linen is that it wrinkles and however it wrinkles the first time you wore it, it will stay wrinkled that way. Sure, you can flatten it out a bit, but overall, it's going to be as it as the moment you took the shirt off after wearing it.

Jon.

12. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

Data point:

Acorn is $41 a yard inclusive of shipping with no minimum order.

Can you please confirm if the price on the pricelist includes shipping?

thanks

13. badsha

badsha Well-Known Member

Prices can change, best to contact Acorn. They can send you a pricelist as well.

Acorn