• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corthay

Bucho

Reaction score
You know, I have visited Leffot twice. I live in Boston. Both times, I came away feeling like they could have cared less if I came into their store. My son had the same experience both times he visited also. I don't know why, but the store help just seems uninterested in helping. I have bought some shoes from them online and my emails to them have been abrupt and dismissive. Even an email I sent to them about my experience at their store was ignored. So, I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for them even though they have great shoes.

I assure those reading this list that I am not a difficult customer either. There is just an air of snobbishness at that place that I don't understand. It is a shame.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I have visited Leffot twice. I live in Boston. Both times, I came away feeling like they could have cared less if I came into their store. My son had the same experience both times he visited also. I don't know why, but the store help just seems uninterested in helping. I have bought some shoes from them online and my emails to them have been abrupt and dismissive. Even an email I sent to them about my experience at their store was ignored. So, I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for them even though they have great shoes.

I assure those reading this list that I am not a difficult customer either. There is just an air of snobbishness at that place that I don't understand. It is a shame.

I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience at Leffot. I have nothing but good things to say about Steven Taffel and his staff, so I'm not quite sure why your experience was this bad.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had positive experiences as well. The staff there is very much hands off compared to some other stores, so maybe it was misinterpreted as dismissive? You could have just been there at the wrong time too and it has obviously shaped your experience. I have had similar experiences with stores/companies and I refuse to give them my money now. The advantage of a trunk show is that you get to meet the people behind the brand and get fitting and styling advice from the people making the product, which is always great.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
in what
manner do
you define:
...a thoroughly well-made shoe make.

i don;t
see much
difference
between it
and eg
gg
lobb
etc

if compared
to handwelted
ok

it does look
like they
use a thick
insole

but only
idiots would
believe it is
handwelted
after all
corthay does not
hide teh goodyear
stiching
nor teh linen
holdfast in
their homepage
vid

in isolation
your statement
makes no
reference to
a baseline
and hence
a non sequiter

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't go into the GYW debate as hand welters have become so rare in most price points, but full leather toe and heel stiffeners would be a nice start. Cork has a tendency to crack and move, so felt or other materials would be nicer. I guess Corthay fans choose them for the lasts, vivid colours, and eccentric styles more than technical niceties (which are always best left for shoe nerds).

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I won't go into the GYW debate as hand welters have become so rare in most price points, but full leather toe and heel stiffeners would be a nice start. Cork has a tendency to crack and move, so felt or other materials would be nicer. I guess Corthay fans choose them for the lasts, vivid colours, and eccentric styles more than technical niceties (which are always best left for shoe nerds).

i cannot see
how you can tell
from the photos
with full certainty
that the toe and
heel stiffeners
are not leather.
yes
teh toe puff
may be thermo
but the heel
stiffener
looks quite
substantial
and looks
like it could
be leather.

which rtw
goodyear welted
maker at a
similar price
point uses felt
and full heel
and toe leather
stiffeners
?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Extracted from a blog, disection of a Corthay.

Construction leaves a lot to be desired for a shoe of it's price.

Sadly not only are the last thing i would call elegant as well but...

This is what happens when people buys because a blogger says is good because he
alleguedly got free cash or a free pair for it as my expossed Parisian ungentleman among others ( 99% of bloggers)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cannot see
how you can tell
from the photos
with full certainty
that the toe and
heel stiffeners
are not leather.
yes
teh toe puff
may be thermo
but the heel
stiffener
looks quite
substantial
and looks
like it could
be leather.

which rtw
goodyear welted
maker at a
similar price
point uses felt
and full heel
and toe leather
stiffeners
?

JL/C&J: celestica toe/heel
EG/G&G: celestica toe, leather heel

None uses felt, all uses cork.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Extracted from a blog, disection of a Corthay.

Construction leaves a lot to be desired for a shoe of it's price.

Sadly not only are the last thing i would call elegant as well but...

This is what happens when people buys because a blogger says is good because he alleguedly got free cash or a free pair for it as my expossed Parisian ungentleman among others ( 99% of bloggers)

Looks half celestica w/ leather heel stiffener? But that looks like some really poor glue jobs.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T4phage, the link only provides two photos but the rest I saw on Shomaker Forum, a Facebook group for artisanal makers. This dissected pair does have a nice leather heel stiffener, but not so on the toe. Cork is used by most all manufacturers these days. Nutcracker excellent scanlations from Men's Ex show that EG, Lobb, and G&G have similar methods as Corthay. This is why I won't buy full-priced shoes from any of them anymore, Vass (and similar smaller shops) just offer so much more shoe than the others.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JL/C&J: celestica toe/heel
EG/G&G: celestica toe, leather heel

None uses felt, all uses cork.

that is
what i
thought

T4phage, the link only provides two photos but the rest I saw on Shomaker Forum, a Facebook group for artisanal makers. This dissected pair does have a nice leather heel stiffener, but not so on the toe. Cork is used by most all manufacturers these days. Nutcracker excellent scanlations from Men's Ex show that EG, Lobb, and G&G have similar methods as Corthay. This is why I won't buy full-priced shoes from any of them anymore, Vass (and similar smaller shops) just offer so much more shoe than the others.

i understand
why you won;t

what i did not
understand was
your original poast
with the link
saying that teh
1.6k shoe
was not well
made
but with no context
vs what

vs what most
others percieve in
the same price class
and same 'prestige'
there is no difference
hence
your statement
that it is not
well made
becomes moot

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, my point is moot then
and you win an argument on teh Internet.
Do you feel better than before?

I just feel if I'd only known
what I do today
before
I would have bought shoes with
a more traditional structure and make.

Similarly, I would have spent my euros better
and would also have supported makers
with more integrity towards
teh traditions of shoemaking.

When a "classic" shoe costs
over a thousand euros or dollars
in my mind
it should also have the inner workings
to justify teh price.

Likely I'm in the minority
and most dudes just don't care
as long as the name and styling
is right
and this explains the brow-rasing prices
for used Lobb or EG pairs
on teh iBei.

Suddenly
I am reminded of all the things DW Frommer
has written on Styleforum
on the economics of scale
and meeting price points
while
guaranteeing desired profits for teh owners
while making factory shoes
versus
teh quality of materials and make.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for those of you that cares, Saks and Fifth has some Corthay on sale

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads