1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Correction for bad posture

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Pieceofsand, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

My posture needs to improve. I constantly catch myself slouching my shoulder, and do not have my spine fully erect. I really want to appear as more confident and healthy, is there any corrective product out there that will help with this issue?

2. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

Do work outs that work on your shoulder girdle area.

3. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

Also if you think it's your spine I suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon and have x rays done. I have slight kyphosis myself ( hunch on top of spine offset by inward curvature in center. Think the letter S as your spine in profile thou that's a drastic example.)

Then there's the normal hunch back which starts with letter L or something similar the name escapes me.

I doubt you are under 18 years of age as then a back brace would be in order.

But regardless a lot of people have slight cases of these in varying degrees so you should keep an eye on it with follow up X-rays done every 3 years or so says my doc.

But do the exercises as they strengthen those back muscles that hold your posture.

4. uzairh

uzairh Well-Known Member

Yoga helps fix posture.
    Stuff like sun salute, cobra pose, floor bow pose, locust pose will help.

5. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Assuming you sit at a desk in front of a screen a lot you need to pull.

Row barbell or dumbbell
    Deadlift
    chinups

6. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I saw an osteopath who started manipulations and had me stretch every day and start lifting weights. The general strategy included stretching out my chest muscles and strengthening my back muscles, although I've also had a lot of work done on my hips because my pelvis tilted forward excessively. After 6 years, my posture is now better than it's been since I was about 13, I've put on about 20-25 pounds of muscle, and I actually have back muscles. I recommend you see an osteopath who does manipulations, though recognize that the rest of the medical community looks down on osteopaths.

Edit: My back and hip pain, the reasons I initially went to the osteopath are also gone.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  7. KGBC

KGBC Member

this. :)

8. Pieceofsand

Thanks for all of your responses and feedback. I saw a lot of workouts/exercises, does anyone have any experience on straps and aftermarket supportive gear that you can wear that might help? I have been working out the past 2 days. So out of shape :embar::embar:

9. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

Start light, don't use straps and gear yet. Focus on form. Jump into the random health/exercise thread if you want tips on diet, exercise selection, etc.

10. smallfry

smallfry Member

Yes more back exercise will help but if you naturally slump you will just have a big back that's hunched.

11. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

What product could there be? Just be self-aware.

I started reading comics in high school and noticed the character's posture, so around 15-16 I began to emulate it. I'm 27 and still have great posture today because it's natural by now. It all started from a metal check when I would stand from a sitting position.

12. MetManChris

MetManChris Well-Known Member

DON'T GET A BACK BRACE! OH GOD, worst possible idea. Getting a back brace will make your lumbar and thurrasic spine WEAKER. Why would you want to do that?

Do some work trying to increase mobility in your back. Lumbar circles, T-spine circles. T spine glides both foreward to back, and side to side. That will help loosen up your back a bit.

More importantly than any of that though, what kind of shoes are you wearing? How much time you do spend sitting in front on a desk? This will help me give you a better idea of what to suggest.

People suffer from bad posture usually from a lack of spine mobility, as well as bad shoes. If you have huge padded shoes, its putting your body into the wrong posture every time you stand up. Being barefoot would probably help alot of this. PM me if you like, and I'll explain it more.

13. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

+1 make sure that you remember to check your posture threw out the day

14. barkingloud78

barkingloud78 Member

me too...all day every day, need to get on that

15. MetManChris

MetManChris Well-Known Member

For those talking about checking their posture over the course of a day: don't try and go from bad posture all day to good posture all day. You'll give it up after day 2. Go for small improvements. Heck, saying "I will have good posture between 12:30-1pm everyday for a week" would be a reasonable first step. If thats too much, from 12:30-12:45, etc.

Do something that you CAN do, and you can do it. Do something that YOU can't do, and you can't do it. :)

16. Pieceofsand

Thanks for this, it is very helpful and logical.

17. Dorothea Brooke

Dorothea Brooke Member

18. StephenS

StephenS Member

Get a interval timer or alarm for your phone that can vibrate or beep every 5-10 minutes, and when it beeps make sure to fix your posture. You'll start finding after a week or so that you don't have to fix anything when the alarm goes off. Keep it going to build the good habit.

You can tell people you're close to, like girlfriend/wife or parents, that you're trying to fix it. Ask them to tell you every time they notice it!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  19. Dorothea Brooke

Dorothea Brooke Member

Check out Katy Bowman on Alignment and Movement