1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Corduroy

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Dec 29, 2009.

1. leersa

leersa Member

Believe it or not, I have two wonderful pairs of "dress" corduroys, one from Zegna (wide wale) and one from Brioni (thin wale). They feel great, can be worn for "business casual" or even into work. Two similar shirts are warm, feel great, but are almost impossible to get in and out of overcoats.

2. Mr. White

Mr. White Well-Known Member

Corduroy shrinks badly along the seams--which gives it a disheveled, puckered look. As with raw denim, corduroy must be bought one size too large in each dimension, which makes any purchase a guessing game. To get any wear out of a pair of cords, it must be worn several times between washings. Not too agreeable.

That's why corduroy is a fad cloth. It goes perfectly with today's too-tight fad (designed to exploit the youthful ignorance of Gen Y).

Corduroy was almost totally absent, and now it's everywhere. Get 'em while they last.

3. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

Corduroy shrinks badly along the seams--which gives it a disheveled, puckered look. As with raw denim, corduroy must be bought one size too large in each dimension, which makes any purchase a guessing game. To get any wear out of a pair of cords, it must be worn several times between washings. Not too agreeable.

That's why corduroy is a fad cloth. It goes perfectly with today's too-tight fad (designed to exploit the youthful ignorance of Gen Y).

Corduroy was almost totally absent, and now it's everywhere. Get 'em while they last.

What.

Anyways, I have the magenta corduroy Gitman Vintage shirt from Context and the MJK cord shirt. Love them both. Also have a coat that is lined in this black cord fabric...absolutely love it. Very warm.

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of my Levis 5-pocket cords. They're great fall through spring. I also have a nice Polo by RL hunters sport coat in a wide wale cord that works very well in winter as an outerwear kind of jacket. I'd like to pick up a slim-fitting cord sport coat some day but haven't found one yet that I really like.

Corduroy is good. At the same time, I reserve it for the "very casual" category. I'd never buy cord trousers or anything ostensibly dressy in corduroy. That use of cord always has seemed wrong to me.

5. Racove

Racove Well-Known Member

Anyone know if this is the same for moleskin? I believe they are similar material w/o the wales. I liked the Epaulet moleskin trousers so much that i picked up S&H 'jean cut' moleskin pants in 32 & 34, but need to decide which to keep. Does it stretch much, shrink much, etc

6. dougie

dougie Well-Known Member

Can't buy what I want because it's free.

7. maikuraki

maikuraki Active Member

just got 2 pairs of H&M cordury pants from sale,and i love them.

8. __CB__

__CB__ Well-Known Member

$$$, but number nine do slim cords in some interesting colors (i like the burgundy ones).

not much of a fan of corduroy when done in those (more traditional) murky olive/brown/beige tones.

9. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

I'll stop by Levis next time and check how I should size on 511 to get the fit I want.

Is it ok to stack on corduroys?

10. mfais

mfais Well-Known Member

i <3 cords. got a pair coming from nathan soon!! cant wait

11. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

i have j.crew corduroys that are basically styled like jeans and that's how i wear them for slouching around. i have a corduroy sportcoat that i wear pretty often which, in austin, pretty much overdresses me for most occasions, even with a tshirt. either way, the ladies seem to get excited by its presence, which is kind of intriguing to me.

Nah, they're simply getting wet due to the presence of J. Crew.

12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I'll stop by Levis next time and check how I should size on 511 to get the fit I want.

Is it ok to stack on corduroys?

No. That works for denim but with corduroy it just looks sloppy and ill-fitting.

13. ataru

ataru Well-Known Member

IMO you can stack with narrow cords like the 511.

14. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I guess I could see that with narrow leg openings. I wouldn't do it for anything fuller though.

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

stack my cords all the time, it's sick [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Sometimes I crimp/roll mine. It's wicked sick.

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

There are 2 types of slim cords on J Crew. Can anyone tell me what the differences are and which one they prefer?

18. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

$$$, but number nine do slim cords in some interesting colors (i like the burgundy ones).

not much of a fan of corduroy when done in those (more traditional) murky olive/brown/beige tones.

i <3 cords. got a pair coming from nathan soon!! cant wait

Can you guys link us on these?

stack my cords all the time, it's sick

[​IMG]

Those look awesome, champ.

Sometimes I crimp/roll mine. It's wicked sick.

I've been cuffing mine since high school. it's the way to roll with these, esp. w/casual look as you mentioned.

The Levis cords were the most democratic pants I ever saw in high school (no jeans allowed), worn by the alternative/punks and jocks alike.

I have two pair of GAPs 1969 slim-fit cords from last year. The cut changed this year, sadly. Other than the light weight, I'm still happy with them. Slim leg, low rise. The deep brown is a great color. Nice details.

I'm (embarassed to say) considering the 'Rugby' shit from RL. Won't spend a lot since these never wear well for me.

19. Binker

Binker Well-Known Member

Id be surprised if this brand doesnt show up on the "heritage" web stores sooner or later. Made in France since the 50s or so, amazing heavy cord fabric.
    I have these myself http://lelaboureur.se/main.php?p=product&id=01-7&c=1#, but sized up a little. Very warm and comfy, have worn them constantly the last months.l

These look amazing. Unfortunately they don't appear to ship outside Sweden.

20. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

You asked them? The swedish company just imports the french products, so somehow ordering directly from france should be cheapest.

Very recommended as said, wearing mine to newyears dinner with a unistripe oxford and plaid pedleton wool tie.