1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cordovan v. calfskin

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slaavwmr, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Probably due to some maintenance errors on my part, I've been having some cracks develop on my nicer calfskin shoes. So, in addition to scheduling a tutorial on polishing and moisturizing from my shoemaker, I also intend to start getting cordovan to replace deaccessioned pairs. Not only brown/burgundy, but also some copies in black for standard business wear. I rather like the look of black cordovan.

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Mr. Harris, I could not agree more, cordovan is HOT, HEAVY, and although it will hold an incrdible shine, quite often looks unfinished when not cared for correctly. My preference for comfort, feel, and weight would always be a good calf skin.

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

One pair for winter wear may be enough. They're dark and heavy but the finish is interesting. The creasing seems more pronounced in cordovan-more like a ridge than a hairline. Alden makes many distinctive shoes that are not cordovan, including in particular the suede tassel loafer. if you must comply with the "classic" canon.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

IMO shell cordovan shoes in either burgundy or black is the ultimate. I have worn cordovan shoes from my day school to boarding school to university to graduate school. I am a conservative dressing grandfather who wears shell cordovan  shoes twelve months a year. However the choice of either calfskin or cordovan is a personal decision and I do respect the decisions made by members of this forum.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

One more controversial topic to add:

Because of cordovan's unique, shinier look and texture, people who don't know or appreciate it may think it is lower quality, plasticky leather or, dare I say, pleather.

Montecristo

6. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

[​IMG]9-->
    Never as fake-looking as some of the corrected leather Prada uses in her men's dress shoes.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more there. I wouldn't touch a Prada shoe with a 10 foot pole. Black cheesy leather.... horrible. But I bet the margins are great.

8. Gatsby

Gatsby Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this 'fabled' Color 8 cordovan. Is this it? Color 8? If anyone happens to have any more detailed (at least larger) pictures, please share..

9. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Yup, that's it. Here's a bigger picture: [​IMG]