1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Is that a real wood veneer or a printed laminate?

The reason why I ask is because many nice looking laminates age badly - they start to peel at the front edge of the seat over time.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

They do use the word 'veneer', that indicates it's made from wood and not a synthetic, printed laminate...

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I agree that they shouldn't be paired with a rustic wooden table, but maybe with something like this:

[​IMG]

- instead of the 7-series (or other AJ chairs) it's usually paired with, at least here in Denmark.

Or maybe with one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. converge

converge Well-Known Member

Tulip table would work I think.

7. SkinnyGoomba

All the above would look nice.

I would add the Nelson X-leg table.

8. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

Those are gorgeous imho

9. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Overpriced at USD600+ for something Made in China?

10. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Shell made in Germany. Chair assembled in U.S.

11. SkinnyGoomba

[​IMG]

Desk I'm building for my study. I'll take full sized pics when the rest of the room is complete. Literally the entire room is changing, wall color (going to white) flooring, moldings, furniture, ect.

I bought a moller #57 armchair for use as a desk chair, upholstered in leather.

Building a bookcase for behind it next, in soap finished white oak.

Not sure what to do with the floor, it's a basement but stays dry. I think tile but my wife-to-be is nt even entertaining the idea of tile.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  12. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

Your Wife obviously has taste. Tile is not for offices, that said there are modern tiles in wood optic that look amazingly real

13. The Dentist

The Dentist Well-Known Member

Dark hardwood might look spectacular. Pair with blood red curtains and an imposing office chair.

14. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

Picked this guy up at a local thrift...I have been wanting one for the longest time, but wouldn't pull the trigger at a ebay price

[​IMG]

I crossed posted in the thrift store thread, but obviously they have no style over there! :stirpot:

Now all i need to do is get the other eleven!

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

This doesnt exactly belong here but also doesnt exactly not belong here either. Trying to figure out what to do with the wall above my bed. Dont really know anything about art, dont take any photos, generally at a loss. Would be willing to spend a couple thousand on some sort of solution but dont want to break the bank. The rest of the furniture in the room is pretty simple, rustic wood dresser, oversize leather chair, persian rug etc. What would you guys do?

[​IMG]

16. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

What about hanging a textile to add both texture and color? I don't particularly have a good appreciation for art, but I've found some interesting handcrafted rugs, blankets, pillowcases, etc. while traveling. They aren't meant to be art, but I've hung them in my home. I like the way they look. Plus, they have some personal meaning, because they remind me of the trip to the place where I got them. Some have been framed. Some are just hung. There's a few other ways of displaying them. I particularly like it above the bed, because there is a certain softness about a textile that just feels right hanging above the place where I sleep.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  17. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

Get a big rectangular mirror with a dark frame or a nice light rectangular picture with a dark frame. Oh and move the bed to the left and the table to the right so its centered between the doors on the left and right. Where it is looks askew

18. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

you've got to go with something you like, Ive never lived in my own place so I'm excited to get into this. old gas station or ice cream shop signage, mirrors, gig posters for favorite bands. I just bought a house in Buffalo so I'm planning on a big bison print from Sharon montrose, a Draplin print for the city of Buffalo and some Pan American Expo posters and some photographs as I come across stuff I like. there are so many independent photographers out there. just surf on Flick for a while and if you come across some you like, see if they do prints.

19. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

Maybe you could hang up some vintage French champagne posters like that chat noir one? Also, go to Ikea and get a picture that everyone else has.

But seriously, just start looking around and find something that moves you. It's tough to find something that fits with the decor AND is pleasant to look at on a regular basis AND is not gonna break the bank. It might take some time, but that's okay. If you want your place to be authentic, it's a process. It doesn't happen overnight.

20. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

if one must have something on the wall, I suppose a clock would be nice.