1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Pulling your leg a bit there.

As to supporting the original...well, the Arco was designed in...early 60s? At this point I think the dood is probably dead and no longer warrants the needless upcharge, no?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Take it easy dude. The Arco design, as well as numerous MCM designs, is in the public domain. Manufacturers are allowed to produce and sell their own version of it - these are not fakes. At best you can call them replicas or a legitimate copy, but you can get off your high horse now.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The arc is the functional part I need and it is the design part I am thinking will go well in our new great room. The Arco style base is rather iconic though and I would prefer the lamp part be aimable vs. just hang. If the arc is big enough though I could live with hanging.

Thanks for that link though, price is right when cash is a bit strapped at the moment.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

My apologies, but the undertone was un-intended, I was having a joke with Pio since he seems set on a 'replica'. You both make good points, but I still hold that the original manufacturer knew what the artist was attempting to accomplish and that comes through in the end product. I see a lot of Barcelona chairs for instance that miss details or skimp on quality. For instance The original manufacturer's chrome plating is buffed by hand and holds up well, the $1.99 replicas lack that detail in the process in what I've seen.

This stuff matters to me, but I realize it is not important to everyone. Neither are hand stitched sleeves, pearl buttons or canvas liners.....oh and the lack of gemming!

6. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Well-Known Member

June 1-11 Herman Miller sale, -15%
    may be time to bite the bullet on an Eames lounger
    now if I could find an architect with a wholesale account

this wood would go well with my stuff

[​IMG]

7. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

^ I love that version.

8. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Whatever you guys do, don't buy the new Eames molded plastic chairs. I sat in one the other day, and it felt like those plastic WalMart chairs at the neighbor's BBQ.

The vintage fiberglass ones are so much better. I just picked up a matching set of four side chair shells. Now, I just need some bases.

9. Arthur PE

I have 14 of the vintage ones, the red/orange
    got them for nothing
    :D

people on this forum ridiculed me, lol, said they looked like junk, cheap, etc.
    mine are the stackable ones,

[​IMG]

10. zalb916

Just a matter of personal taste. We use the new ones for our dining chairs and find them perfectly comfortable, while I never have particularly cared for the fiberglass version.

People here have mentioned liking the Emeco Navy chairs, which I find really unpleasant for sitting. Some asses just respond differently to different things, I guess.

11. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

^I'll agree that they are comfortable, but the one I sat in felt like it would snap at any moment. Personally, I think the fiberglass ones have just the right amount of flex.

Arthur- That's pretty good! You could sell sets of the shells on Ebay for a decent price if you didn't want 14. I do think that the stacking bases are a bit industrial-looking. The Eiffel or dowel bases are much nicer, I think.

12. zalb916

I remember that thread. There were only two critiques about your chairs.

mordecai: "Sell them and get something less 'extra chairs for possible overflow at the lecture.'"
    and
    pocketsquareguy: "I'm not a big fan of the chairs. They remind me of classroom or breakroom chairs."

Both guys making the comments have a pretty established reputation for good taste in design, so it's not like these comments were without some perspective. Frankly, I agree with them. The stackable Eames chairs are made for, well, stacking. Nothing wrong with that, but that just means that they're found most frequently and look appropriate in lecture halls, classrooms, and breakrooms, not in the home. Eames stuff is very functional, so it makes sense to have stacking chairs in a place where you need to stack chairs. That just means they look a little out of place in a residential setting.

I like the Eames molded plastic chairs in the home, just the ones with different bases. I own three different models, and I think they look good for the purpose they serve. I just think that the stacking chairs serve a purpose for an area outside of the home which requires a large number of seats. That's exactly why you found 14 of them.

13. Arthur PE

They are perfect for my needs. Me and the wife, kids gone, so we use 4 at the table, stack 6 in a closet for when we have folks over, don't take up much space. Haul them out to the patio if need be.

The ones with the wire legs look too fussy, and don't seem as stable (got 2 of them). The ones with wooden legs look plain wrong to me.

Not to mention the price was right.

14. zalb916

That's great that they are functional for you. However, the critique was that they look like chairs typically found outside of a residential setting, which is true. The critique was not that "they looked like junk, cheap, etc." And I certainly don't think people were ridiculing you.

15. Arthur PE

not sure it's 'great' for me, just some chairs
    others in the thread seemed to think people were crackin' (remeber that?) on them/me, not that I care
    just saying, many people have no idea who/what Eames is, etc.

16. zalb916

One person defended them/you. He said, "wow. none of the dudes replying in this thread seem to know much about midcentury design. in case you guys didn't know, those red chairs are the BMW 2002 of the interior design world." His comment was off-base, as the two people who critiqued the chairs actually do know about midcentury design and who the Eameses are.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

They are EVERYWHERE in Scandinavia I think 8 out 10 people I know, have one or more of them completely ridiculous.

The vintage ones are better, but still overdone and they have started to make them again, so it's just a matter of time before, they will become as bad as the plastic ones and ruin the value of the original.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

You can get a vintage one, for next to nothing if you have the right connects.

I've seen original 1960's ones go for less than 1000$.

19. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Anyone know someone on the side who would be willing to deal for Eames HM stuff - want to get some Eames group outdoor chairs and some other stuff and don't want to pay HM list/rape pricing.

[​IMG]

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Mind you, it's not free to restore them and there is no guarantee that it will be perfect, so you're more realistically looking at $2000-$2500 for one, rstored and you can buy a new one during th hm sale for about $3800