• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call me a sheep, but I really love teak MCM furniture. Buying new is a bit out of my price range though, so I've been scouring online classifieds for used and vintage pieces. My only problem is that I'm not really sure what a fair price is for some of these pieces.

Is $500 fair for a desk like this?

How about ~$200 for a side table like this?

Considering the price of cruddy particle board/veneer stuff at Ikea those seem like pretty fair prices for good condition pieces, but I would really appreciate some advice!

I'd advise doing a thorough investigation of the pieces once you're on site. Check for splitting, any water damage, joint construction (dovetailed would be nice), and whether the pieces wobble at all when you put pressure on the surface.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think it's worth it, then go for it. If you feel iffy about it let it go.

I just saw these florence knoll salsa settees on CL 3000$ for a pair, probably worth it.

the_drizzle

Reaction score
What does everything think about the Sapien bookcase? Trying to find some options for low profile bookcases.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got friends who use those in their kitchen for cookbooks. the kitchen is kind of messy in a charming way --chockablock with good things-- and the bookshelves fit right in.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They make me uncomfortable because it looks like it would be really easy to knock the books off.

twistoffat

Reaction score

What?

It's perfectly sensible to ask what price is reasonable. No matter how much you might love something, you should not pay more for it than you need to.

Would your suggestion of it being a fair price be cased on how it looked or how it related to current other MCM values. I didn´t say price didn´t matter, I did say it should play bow to the fiddle and not the other way around.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a kitchen island / butcher block suggestion (cheapo-1 yr lease) ? Interior is modern.
Thanks!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone got a kitchen island / butcher block suggestion (cheapo-1 yr lease) ? Interior is modern.
Thanks!

What size? Pretty hard to go wrong with ikea on the cheap....they have various options in either solid birch or oak tops.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/10471/
For a couple hundred bucks or less, you'll have something that looks good and is sturdy. These all have solid wood in the important places, so as long as you tighten everything nicely and maybe add glue to the joints, they should be sturdy (and the best trick on the ikea stuff is to come back after a week or two of use after everything has settled and give everything a final tightening).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got a long butcherblock countertop i bought at ikea ... must be at least 10 years ago. still looks great. it's not high-finish (i don't oil it) and it's not super thick (about an inch?). but it works great. and my carpenter (a friend who specialized in extremely high-end kitchens) was gobsmacked at the price.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leasing a butchers block, that doesn't sound disgusting at all.

If you want something used find a real butchers block from a closed butcher shop or find a wholesaler that sells industrial kitchen supplies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads