1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

??

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

He's thinking of the Bird-toia chairs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

The bertoia bird chair can has cover.

Which bird chair are you talking about?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. gomestar

5. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Because it has much less surface area to support one's weight. I'd guess it has, even generously, 1/3 as much surface area to support your ass, so parts of your ass will feel 3x more force, while others will feel none. I would think this large differential is likely even to leave a dodecahedron-shaped grid on your ass when you get up.

6. SkinnyGoomba

The above are all reasons why Foo would like the chair.

G,

Ah-ha! Matt has those if my memory serves me well. I assume you tried them out at his house?

7. gomestar

he has two of them. I did try them at his house. I really liked the look of them before, but sitting in them made me a believer. It's the perfect lounge/rocking chair.

the only reason we don't have one is due to their size.

8. SkinnyGoomba

Same reason I do not have an LC4, they are not that big, but require a lot of space to dedicated to them in order to be usable and to look nice.

9. gomestar

i have the chaise/lounge version of the LC3 (in down), and I love it as a lounge piece, I really do. It has a small foot print, too.

but it's no bird chair. If it wasn't such an anti-social move, I'd sell my sofa and replace it with two bird chairs.

10. mafoofan

The Bertoia chair is uncomfortable because the individual wires are so thin that they press into you very sharply. That does not happen with the Chair One since the frame segments are much wider. Anyway, maybe you forget, but I have tried these chairs many times myself. They are quite fine.

11. SkinnyGoomba

I have two lounges that are similar stature, and while I think I have an appropriate amount of space dedicated to them I feel like I could double it without issue. Chaise lounges and lounges/ottomans require a ridiculous amount of space to look nice.

I'm receiving a moller 57 in a couple days, which I'm excited about. Will be the desk chair for my study, and I'm at the beginning stages of building a set of three wall hung book cases in walnut and matched walnut burl. I'll finally have a place to put my table top humidor.

So after spending an awful amount of time smoothing my drywall, I will soon be putting holes in it and covering it.

12. SkinnyGoomba

LOL.

13. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I dislike wire chairs for the same reason - and I was with you on that initial comparison. And I don't doubt that you are comfortable enough in these chairs to purchase them - that's your preference (I believe you've even stated in this thread an aversion to overly comfortable dining chairs). But when you ask incredulously why anyone would think a wooden chair would be any more comfortable you are being pedantic and silly.

14. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Though my comments were more general, with respect to "chair one," my chief skepticism is that the chair is ridiculous looking. It screams for attention like contrast color stitching. So my point was that a sensible person wouldn't entertain the though of buying one/several until they'd been sucked in to the "up is down" level of "I get it and you don't" furniture snobbism. Many of the items in this thread don't have that characteristic, but I think "chair one" does.

Of course where these lines lie is all a matter of opinion, and I'll willing to concede it could look good as an artistic accent in a corner somewhere, in the right setting/scheme. But I think a daily use dinner table chair (or similar) is a bridge too far.

I can't testify to whether or not it is comfortable, though I have my doubts. As a corollary, if it is 75 lbs and you're using it as a dinner chair, unless you like to sit at a distance from the table while you eat, sliding it to and away from the table as you sit/stand will probably get old fast. Does that count towards comfortability?

I take comfort in not having to guess whether my chair is being facetious or sarcastic when I evaluate its looks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  15. gomestar

this is an outdoor chair. Pull up with that at a bonfire, and is there any doubt? I love this chair for how wild and outlandish and hilarious it is. I don't take it seriously.

[​IMG]

16. SkinnyGoomba

hah, they made it to look nearly identical to the upholstered one.

I sat on those in a hotel in Austin tx that we stayed at, they're awesome.

17. SkinnyGoomba

For those who don't know, there is an indoor version that the above chair is based on. It's hand carved and cost $14,000.

18. gomestar

yeah, the plastic outdoor one is made by Magis (distributed by Herman Miller in the US) and $2K list.

the fabric one is Cappellini and, as SG noted, a bit more. I sat in one yesterday, and it's a great chair! Foo would certainly approve of the seating position.

19. mafoofan

You mean, wherein one can actually sit?

20. gomestar

[​IMG]

FOOFED:
    [​IMG]