1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the base is heavy because it's concrete, and it's concrete as an aesthetics function, not as a necessity of weight.

i still like my tattoos and will probably get more.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Stolidly logical conclusions, but the original premise is flawed.

A stool will take up the same footprint, have arguably less visual impact, and weigh less.

Perhaps be more useful too as I don't think most people are happy to shift 85 pounds while in an awkward semi-seated/squat position to pull their chairs in/out.

Just doesn't make sense as a pragmatic choice.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I don't like the base otherwise, I don't have an issue with it.

I have tried the version with normal legs and it's surprisingly comfortable.

4. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

The primary function of that concrete lump is balance and not to look good. There are other materials available but concrete is cheap. I´ve sat on these chairs and they are not a good design for the home. Can´t wait to see that wooden flooring after you´ve dragged that oversized fishing lead over it.

As to the Tattoos, go ahead but I bet you you don´t have a chinese symbol at the base of your neck or a dolphin on your foot or a celtic symbol dancing over the back of your ass?

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I lolled

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

My personal objection is that I think it's nothing more than a gimmicky update on the tulip chair. Mind you; I hate the tulip chair to begin with.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Is twistoffhat a troll?

I really can't fathom how one looks at the Chair One, then thinks: "Ah, an update on the Saarinen Tulip chair."

8. SkinnyGoomba

Really?

I think you just want them so that you can watch your guests attempt to move an 85lb chair while dressed for dinner.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I don't get why you'd want that table weighed down by those concrete blobs. Think of all the visual heft you're shifting to the floor. The tyranny of the leg restored, only now ensconced in an impregnable concrete castle.

1 person likes this.
  10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

You act like this isn't a perfectly good reason to do something.

11. SkinnyGoomba

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Girl in a tight cocktail dress trying to move a 85pound, that's almost reason enough to get those chairs

13. mafoofan

Okay, these chairs are so happening.

2 people like this.
  14. SkinnyGoomba

Post videos so that we can all enjoy.

15. Nikos

Nikos Well-Known Member

My taste in photography changes from time to time, but at the moment, I would buy this.

[​IMG]

http://stephenshore.net/photographs/B/index.php?page=10&menu=photographs

Stephen Shore is imho one of the best current photographers.

Not sure if it is on sale though.

16. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

The thing about great chairs is the ones that endure sit well and hold up. Look at everything from an eames to a breuer to a barcelona.

As a sculpture the Chair One is interesting. But with the delicate curves of the Tulip Table, there are so many more elegant options to maintain the design vocabulary that you've chosen. But you sound like you prefer the contrast of the chair one.

Abstractly the conical base conceptually aligns with the base of the pedestal table. I just don't think that the multiple pieces of interconnected lines that make up the actual seat have the grace of the table. Had the upper been constructed of the same material with contoured segments, it would have worked better, IMO.

17. mafoofan

I think the angular planes of the Chair One contrast very nicely with the circular shape of the Saarinen.

Are you suggesting the upper part of the Chair One would be better if it were also made of concrete? Having trouble understanding your last thought.

18. SkinnyGoomba

Foo, just buy the damn things.

Though, a true sadist would put their guests in bertoia chairs....without seat covers.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  19. mafoofan

I already said I'm buying them. I'm not looking for approval, just chatting.

20. SkinnyGoomba

After 5 years on this board, I know better than to think you're seeking approval for your decision. It's usually 'this is the decision i'm considering (already made)' fallowed by graphs, charts and pictures that support your decision in the face of a large group of people who disagree.

It's great entertainment, and in this case, we get to talk about chairs.