• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Finally wrapping up the MEPs in our renovation and have some fun stuff coming together. I've already exhausted my friends and family with updates, so I figured I'd come gush to random men on the internet. Who needs therapy?

We're fully onboard with the floating basin trend, opting for floating basins in our downstairs bathroom and master. For the downstairs, we found a really cool slab of pecan that has a ton of visual interest and asymmetrical movement. Given we are tiling all the walls in the bathroom, we feel a busier wood will provide relief in texture and uniformity.

Still early days, but here is a view of the grain as well as the preliminary build:

Pecan Grain.jpg

Basin Rough.jpg

Vanity will have one drawer. Still deciding on the stain (the floors are mid-to-dark hardwoods and the walls are high-gloss black 4x4 zellige tile) but want to ensure it's light enough to keep the visual interest of the grain. We will be dropping a low-profile (~4" off of counter) stone vessel sink on top of the vanity. Plumbing trim will come from the wall.

We're also building an 8' stone (quartzite) basin and vanity in the master. Similar to the wooden vanity, though it will have mitered edges/no storage. For storage, we will flank it on both sides with vertical slatted towers (image included for reference, though our configuration will be different -- No additional storage under vanity, towers will run floor to ceiling, plumbing trim will be wall-mounted, one mirror with wall-mounted sconces). Really excited about the visual interest/depth of the stone. We've moved away from our initial inclination of honing it (want to keep the intensity of the colors) and will likely opt for a leathered finish. Sink will be built from the stone.

Basin Stone.jpg

Tower Direction.jpg

Thanks for indulging me. Month 6 of this project and I'm getting unreasonably excited for the finished product. Hoping to have some finished pictures for the threak by the end of April.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Finally wrapping up the MEPs in our renovation and have some fun stuff coming together. I've already exhausted my friends and family with updates, so I figured I'd come gush to random men on the internet. Who needs therapy?

We're fully onboard with the floating basin trend, opting for floating basins in our downstairs bathroom and master. For the downstairs, we found a really cool slab of pecan that has a ton of visual interest and asymmetrical movement. Given we are tiling all the walls in the bathroom, we feel a busier wood will provide relief in texture and uniformity.

Still early days, but here is a view of the grain as well as the preliminary build:

View attachment 1734630

View attachment 1734631

Vanity will have one drawer. Still deciding on the stain (the floors are mid-to-dark hardwoods and the walls are high-gloss black 4x4 zellige tile) but want to ensure it's light enough to keep the visual interest of the grain. We will be dropping a low-profile (~4" off of counter) stone vessel sink on top of the vanity. Plumbing trim will come from the wall.

We're also building an 8' stone (quartzite) basin and vanity in the master. Similar to the wooden vanity, though it will have mitered edges/no storage. For storage, we will flank it on both sides with vertical slatted towers (image included for reference, though our configuration will be different -- No additional storage under vanity, towers will run floor to ceiling, plumbing trim will be wall-mounted, one mirror with wall-mounted sconces). Really excited about the visual interest/depth of the stone. We've moved away from our initial inclination of honing it (want to keep the intensity of the colors) and will likely opt for a leathered finish. Sink will be built from the stone.

View attachment 1734632

View attachment 1734633

Thanks for indulging me. Month 6 of this project and I'm getting unreasonably excited for the finished product. Hoping to have some finished pictures for the threak by the end of April.

Looks nice. We did something similar in our own master bath. We have a 6' matte white quartz vanity top that is 3.25" thick with an integrated sink (although we just did a single sink). Then we have a tower on either side which gives us a ton of storage.

I assume you're sealing the quartzite? The only major con to quartzite for a bathroom that I'm aware of is it can stain if not sealed.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Looks nice. We did something similar in our own master bath. We have a 6' matte white quartz vanity top that is 3.25" thick with an integrated sink (although we just did a single sink). Then we have a tower on either side which gives us a ton of storage.

I assume you're sealing the quartzite? The only major con to quartzite for a bathroom that I'm aware of is it can stain if not sealed.

We're excited about the storage. We're also connecting a makeup vanity (attached to the outside of the left tower) that will lend even more storage and workable space.

Definitely sealing the quartzite and opting against polished stone for risk of etching.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the vertical slats. How will they work with floating cabinetry?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Love the vertical slats. How will they work with floating cabinetry?

While the vanity will be floating, the sides will connect into the towers, creating a "H" or goalpost effect. There will be 21" of space from the floor to the bottom of the vanity.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While the vanity will be floating, the sides will connect into the towers, creating a "H" or goalpost effect. There will be 21" of space from the floor to the bottom of the vanity.
So not actually floating?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
So not actually floating?

Yeah, it's likely more accurate to say the vanity is connected to the towers, even though they don't share any structure. The wooden vanity will be floating and will be set off the wall for lighting behind and beneath.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
exciting! we're about 3 months behind you with a similar project. but we only have one bathroom :- )

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Success, with some missing screws and unsightly drill-holes.

9B3F4D5B-8412-4817-BC35-CAAFC65DCAAF.jpeg

CA57541F-1829-4A88-BBE1-012F7930C4C8.png

Still awaiting the drawers and magazine shelf, although seeing it as is, I'm not entirely opposed to just keeping it as shelves. At the least the discovery that I can’t fit my turntables and mixer, for which purpose I designed it, somewhat makes moot the magazine shelf, which was going to be for presently-playing records. Still haven't figure out where I'm going to put those.

Edit: https://aplusrstore.com/products/string-string-system-media-shelf

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall, you need to go into the bottom of the wall at 5 inches is that right? I was looking at this for my place last year but the baseboards are like 5.5" and it didn't seem worth changing them.

You don't drill in into the bottom rung, but it needs to clear the baseboard, yes. I'm measuring ~5.75" for my baseboards. I actually didn't plan for that clearance at all, but using these has made for as good a fit as I could hope:

With these 1" pads the panels just clear. So 4.75-5" height on the panels out of the box.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My baseboards were a hair too tall for String. I ended up putting some rubber pads similar to those under the feet and it worked out well.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the new design I'm striding toward:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 2.43.01 PM.png

I wish they made the media shelves in Oak, but I suppose the white may make what I place on them appear lighter and floating.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably one of my favorites videos Kirsten has ever put out, and I think most anyone in here would enjoy it just as much. I realize the 45 minute length of it might seem daunting, but I promise it's well worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads