1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

converting double breasted to single?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pgoat, Apr 2, 2006.

1. pgoat

pgoat Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a copy of the 1960n Esquire with George Frazier's oft-quoted and referenced article on the art of dressing. It includes equally well referenced comments by Fred Astaire (throwing a new suit or hat against a wall to take the stiffness out etc etc) - he laments the passing of Double breasted suits and vows they will return one day. He also mentions how tailors back then were converting DBs to singles.

I am sure this was a neccessity as many men probably owned a huge amount of DBs before the War and then were faced with what to do with them - obviously a worse problem with a full wardrobe of very expensive or Bespoke DB suits.

While I realize pretty much anything (short of turning a single breasted into a DB, as Fred pointed out!) is possible with enough time, skill and money, I am wondering if this DB to SB conversion is still do-able? Does anyone do this in NYC, and is it super pricey?

I have a few doubles that were designed to button on lower button so they already have a low button stance. Just curious about this.