1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Converse Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CorporateFresh, Jan 21, 2010.

1. C.lo562

C.lo562 Member

Those red JP's looks nice, I wish they came in Hi's though. I'd settle for the lows regardless.

2. TyCooN

TyCooN Well-Known Member

I want those reds

3. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Well-Known Member

Not sure why, but I don't like the side strap things.

They are a bit odd and non-JP-ish, but I don't think they break the shoe. They should make those in black... they look like trainers from the 40's or something haha

4. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Well-Known Member

does anyone know a good technique on painting the metal eyelet-lace things on chucks to make em all black

ive never done something like that and i want mine all black like these lace holes

[​IMG]

paint suggestions and techniques?

for anyone who owns these, how do cons cts fit compared to regular chucks?

5. gusrb84

gusrb84 New Member

that looks nice

6. scribbles

scribbles Well-Known Member

Until the FW10 collection hits, I'd digging these. I love the garment dye look which adds a nice bit of color without drawing too much attention. I'm tempted to get all 6. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

the second pair from the top, the blue, look like what my regular-issue blue JPs are turning into with a little wear.

8. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell the only difference is those have stitched edges instead of the lined edges. I like those gray ones. There's this pair of JPs on Zappos, the 'saltwash laces oxford'; it's lo-profile and rad. What does Saltwash mean pertaining to the laces? I like these because they have canvas over the inner toecap and around the sides and back of the shoe. I love the classic JP but the lo-pro is a nice change and looks slicker. http://www.zappos.com/converse-jack-...ox-black-egret As far as I can tell, saltwash just means the laces are whiter than the rubber? If I had a little extra money right now I'd pick these up, but I have enough JPs for the moment anyway. Plus I've seen like 3 or 4 pairs of shoes I bought this year already pop up crazy-cheaper-than-I-paid on 6pm.com and that kinda bugs. =) I think I'll wait for these to get 6PM'd.

9. scribbles

scribbles Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell the only difference is those have stitched edges instead of the lined edges. I like those gray ones.

There's this pair of JPs on Zappos, the 'saltwash laces oxford'; it's lo-profile and rad. What does Saltwash mean pertaining to the laces? I like these because they have canvas over the inner toecap and aroudn the sides and back of the show. I love the classic JP but the lo-pro is a nice change and looks slicker.

http://www.zappos.com/converse-jack-...ox-black-egret

As far as I can tell, saltwash just means the laces are whiter than the rubber?

If I had a little extra money right now I'd pick these up, but I have enough JPs for the moment anyway. Plus I've seen like 3 or 4 pairs of shoes I bought this year already pop up crazy-cheaper-than-I-paid on 6pm.com and that kinda bugs. =) I think I'll wait for these to get 6PM'd.

I have no idea what the salt-wash means, but whatever it is, I don't think it justifies the extra cost.

To Robert, I agree, the blue ones are very similar to the regular navy JP's, which can be had for a lot cheaper if you can find them on sale. I would likely pass on the grey and wheat colored pairs as well since I already have quite a few pairs of white/neutral footwear (more Sperrys than I'll admit to, Clarks, some "retro" Nikes, etc). Plus 8+ pairs of JP's alone would be a bit of overkill. I really do love the red, green, and yellow pairs. Maybe it's due to my many years living in Miami, but I really embrace color in my wardrobe, and I'm always looking for interesting ways to incorporate as much color as possible without it being overbearing.

10. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Well-Known Member

for anyone who owns these, how do cons cts fit compared to regular chucks?

toe box feels a little larger IMO

otherwise its the same...i wear the same in size chucks and cons cts

11. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

SSUR for Converse Pro Leather 1976

[​IMG]

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Would anyone here be interested in a Black Converse contest? Basically who can get the most abuse out of them for like 6 months. I would do a year but I don't know if they'll last that long.

13. BriansAWildDowner

BriansAWildDowner Active Member

I've got a Converse question.

I've got a pair of Chuck Taylors but i can't wear them anymore. Whenever I do my feet sorta start to cramp up or something. Are Jack Purcells any more comfortable?

14. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

^ Yes, they actually have molded insoles, unlike Chucks.

15. BriansAWildDowner

BriansAWildDowner Active Member

16. khakijeans

khakijeans Active Member

I have a pair of low-top All-Stars that I bought about two months ago. I've been wearing them pretty often and I already have cracks forming in the rubber where the rubber edge meets the canvas, right where my foot flexes, on both shoes and both sides of the foot. Are any of the other Converse canvas models like the Purcells more sturdy in this regard?

17. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I have a pair of low-top All-Stars that I bought about two months ago. I've been wearing them pretty often and I already have cracks forming in the rubber where the rubber edge meets the canvas, right where my foot flexes, on both shoes and both sides of the foot. Are any of the other Converse canvas models like the Purcells more sturdy in this regard?
    I've gone through dozens of pairs of converse. none have been immune to that. From the cheapest discount store to my John Varvatos. Embrace it. Love it.* Or, go buy an new pair for $40. [​IMG] *Actually... i don't think my purcells have split there yet, but they have seperated from the shoe in that spot from the flex. It's got to be a design "flaw" because it happens on all of them. I'm willing to deal with the flaw because it's really just an aesthetic issue vs. wear issue (they don't make the shoe any less comfortable (HA!) or unwearable unless you're really anal retentive about things like that. Which I'm not).

18. khakijeans

khakijeans Active Member

Thanks for the reply, CharlieAngel. I think I'm going to go ahead and embrace it. [​IMG]

19. fir3fox

fir3fox Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the John Varvatos pro leather mid?

Just wondering how 'distressed' they actually come.

[​IMG]

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member