1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Contemporary home architecture

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I have noticed this trend, starting from about 5-10 years ago, of modern-looking homes that utilize heterogeneous materials and unusual shapes that I find very unattractive and overwrought. A good example is this entire development in Austin that is built in this style.

Is there a name for this type of style? Is it over-taking faux-Tuscan, or are they co-existing peacefully?

If I were to live in a modern-looking house, I would go with a more simplistic and stark design like the Philip Johnson Glass House:

[​IMG]

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I'd call the style to which you are referring, ugly ass wannabe modern track home deluxe.

3. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

^ ha!
    It will be interesting to see those babies 20 years from now. I blame it on Dwell.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a mixture of some of the shapes, but i'd prefer a different selection of materials.
    I'm not feelin' the color choices they show.

5. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Well-Known Member

The boxier styles work much better in monolithic apartment/condo/loft structures. A lot of those have been getting put up around Oakland and Emeryville, and they don't look half bad.

I think anything done in development form would look awful, though. Imagine a development full of classic victorians, all neatly arranged on neatly spaced plots of neatly kept land full of plastic housewives drinking cosmopolitans out of giant martini glasses. Enough to make you vomit out your nose.

6. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

The boxier styles work much better in monolithic apartment/condo/loft structures. A lot of those have been getting put up around Oakland and Emeryville, and they don't look half bad.

I think anything done in development form would look awful, though. Imagine a development full of classic victorians, all neatly arranged on neatly spaced plots of neatly kept land full of plastic housewives drinking cosmopolitans out of giant martini glasses. Enough to make you vomit out your nose.

+1.

Lorcan O'Herlihy condo complex in WeHo, CA:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Jeff

7. poppies

poppies Well-Known Member

For an architecture student I have shamefully bad vocabulary when it comes to aesthetics but it looks a bit postmodern to me since it retains much of the modernist box-like geometries, but uses some variations of color and more extreme angled details to subvert conventions.

Still looks more interesting than any McMansion though.

And would you really want to live in that glass house? Even Johnson himself never really used it since he felt he couldn't get any privacy (uses it as a guest house instead haha).

8. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

That sounds delightful [​IMG]

I'd rather live in a business park than the linked housing development. At least then I could just have a nondescript building on a 20,000 sq ft concrete slab.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] -Jeff
    I don't think this is very good. Maybe just decent, better than the Nine Sixty Nine development though. The combination of the black and wood paneling is just bizarre -- and is that even real wood? At least the shapes look alright, no bizarre angles.
    And would you really want to live in that glass house? Even Johnson himself never really used it since he felt he couldn't get any privacy (uses it as a guest house instead haha).
    It's a bit extreme. If the walls were all concrete, then it would be fine. But is privacy really an issue? I thought the property was huge and just assumed there was no line-of-sight from the outside.

10. Reckoner

Reckoner Well-Known Member

I love the Cullen's house in Twilight. Timber and lot's of sunlight.

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

That development is so indicative of the way Austin is. Trying to be different, creative, and artsy and managing to fail. "Look at our houses they don't look like yours, we have rejected the American tract home for this art." "It must be art and intelligent because it is different compared to your house." Bullshit. It's ugly it shows a lack of creativity, and just excatly how dumb people are. Great marketing tactic used to gobble up the prius driving idiots.

Just beacause your flock is smaller doesn't mean your not a sheep.

12. poppies

poppies Well-Known Member

But is privacy really an issue? I thought the property was huge and just assumed there was no line-of-sight from the outside.
    No, you're right the property is huge. It's just more of a psychological issue I'd imagine.

13. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I have noticed this trend, starting from about 5-10 years ago, of modern-looking homes that utilize heterogeneous materials and unusual shapes that I find very unattractive and overwrought. A good example is this entire development in Austin that is built in this style. Is there a name for this type of style? Is it over-taking faux-Tuscan, or are they co-existing peacefully? If I were to live in a modern-looking house, I would go with a more simplistic and stark design like the Philip Johnson Glass House: [​IMG]
    That "house" is absolutely hideous, not to mention the entire concept is retarded. When did creating an idiotic idea become a necessity to classify something as "contemporary art/architecture"? I have a better idea for a modern looking home. It's just 4 sticks in the ground, each at the corner points of an invisible square, then you just stand in the center.

14. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think this is pretty nice for infill development in a place like West Hollywood, which is full of all forms of kitsch in any case.

15. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

How's this for a contemporary abomination?

[​IMG]

Saw it on a real-estate site the other day.

16. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think this is pretty nice for infill development in a place like West Hollywood, which is full of all forms of kitsch in any case.

Looks like they put some lights on a Cargo ship.

17. v0rtex

v0rtex Well-Known Member

Is there a name for this type of style? Is it over-taking faux-Tuscan, or are they co-existing peacefully?

I'd second the "post modern" label - just because they rip off elements of modernism doesn't make them any better than the McMansions which rip off combinations of Tuscan, greek, colonial, etc. etc.

The Glass House is rather special, but not sure if I could live in it full time - I think even the architect built it as a vacation home/retreat.

18. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

I'd second the "post modern" label - just because they rip off elements of modernism doesn't make them any better than the McMansions which rip off combinations of Tuscan, greek, colonial, etc. etc.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but, at least I think, a post-modern take on Tuscan, Greek, colonial, etc would be cool. I know one of my favorite buildings is a post-modern gothic.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The combination of the black and wood paneling is just bizarre
    I'm a big fan of black metal and wood. I think some of my favorite combinations of materials would be white concrete/walls, wooden floors, some bricks and black metal structures and window frames.

The development you linked to in the OP is positively vomit-inducing

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I feel contemporary architecture is stuck in a kind of PostModernist Loosian/Bauhaus aesthetic that simply cannot be taken any further. However, since most people have no talent or imagination, they think that by deriving more and more insipidness from the grandfathers of modernist architecture, they are being very cutting-edge.

Architecture is also very trend-driven, and this kind of wanton minimalism is very en vogue. Not only do these houses showcase this, but look at high-end retail shops--all blonde wood and stainless fixtures. The old Lobb shop in Paris was even redone in this abortive, suburban library style.