• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contacting a girl for the first time

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have always followed the general rule of thumb to not contact a girl who I get their number for a couple days. It's something I always considered fairly standard practice for most guys. The rationale behind it is you don't want to come across desperate to the girl.

Recently, I asked a few of my close females friends what their opinion of it was. Surprisingly all of them said they like it when the guy texts/calls them the next day. It's a flattering change of pace and leaves the impression that the guy does not like to play games.

I'm curious what everyone here does. Do you wait a couple days or just play it by ear and contact them the next day if you feel like it?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It seems pretty goddamned stupid to have a rule that you follow with every single girl you meet.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're a chip off the old sock.
wink.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll either ask them when a good time to call is or I will tell them when I'll give them a call and then follow through with whatever is decided.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It seems pretty goddamned stupid to have a rule that you follow with every single girl you meet.
Well, like I said it's a general rule of thumb. Served me well over the years, so I was surprised what my friends said. Not even sure why I started to think about it and wanted to ask them their opinions in the first place.
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
You're a chip off the old sock.
wink.gif

I think we need to get Metro to be my sock to complete the circle.
devil.gif

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think girls like to see that your into them, and that your not going to follow the "rule" for them. I think people are over the fact that it looks desperate. I think it also goes along with how you presented yourself in the beginning when you met.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never understood this rule bullshit. If I go through all the effort of flirting with you, complementing you, and asking you for your phone number, why the hell am I going to wait around to get in your pants?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Send a dicture next day.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adherence to rules are ******* stupid. Either she likes you and will continue to like you or will find out sooner or later that you aren't worth the time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Adherence to rules are ******* stupid. Either she likes you and will continue to like you or will find out sooner or later that you aren't worth the time.

So you're saying dictures also?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. I hate when men are like, what do women want? As if women acted like a homogeneous block. They're like, people.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
+1. I hate when men are like, what do women want? As if women acted like a homogeneous block. They're like, people.

no, in several similar threads we determined that women are in fact impala.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
no, in several similar threads we determined that women are in fact impala.
My memory had it down as gazelle. But, whatever.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
confused.gif
Should I put my neck out on this one?

if you have to ask you're pathetically Beta. hell, you probably even laugh on the first date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads