1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Conservative Business Dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 29, 2007.

1. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I just took another look at the picture, and to my eye, that shade of gray looks too light to be conservative. Gray is so '80s.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I just took another look at the picture, and to my eye, that shade of gray looks too light to be conservative. Gray is so '80s.

Gunning for a job at Barney's?

3. odoreater

Gunning for a job at Barney's?

You think they're watching?

4. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

Manton, it's great that you have tried to tackle CBD pictorially - the ensemble you posted looks very conservative. I do think Kapser has a point regarding the shoulders, although not about their degree of conservativeness, but rather their degree of business(ness?). There's nothing fashion forward or flashy about them, so they don't lack conservativeness at all, but in this photo they do look a little slouchy and I think a cleaner, crisper line would look more "business." Just my thoughts, I think that's what Kasper is getting at but I could be wrong.

5. odoreater

Manton,

Does this outfit qualify as UCBD?

[​IMG]

6. ted

ted Well-Known Member

Oh for god's sake it's not the suit that's important, it's what on the inside that's important.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Oh for god's sake it's not the suit that's important, it's what on the inside that's important.

[​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Manton,

[​IMG]

I have to admit, it's pretty damned close. Earlier critics are probably right that pocket flaps are more conservative than besom pockets, so you get a point there. However, I have to deduct a point for the Windsor knot; too much artifice. I can't tell if the tie is woven or not; if so, deduct another point. I suppose that the small amount of color in the tie is acceptable, but it might bump you back down to mere CBD status rather that UCBD. Reds and yellows are thrilling, enlivening, and exciting -- Not Conservative.

9. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member

Manton,

[​IMG]

Tie is too flashy to be UCBD and there is way to much cuff showing. And again that is a spread collar. Def not UCBD.

10. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That makes sense. It is even a good neutral business gray colour!

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Wrong forum. This is the shallow forum where we only care about what's on the outside. I think Dr. Phil has one where they care about the inside.

12. odoreater

Wrong forum. This is the shallow forum where we only care about what's on the outside. I think Dr. Phil has one where they care about the inside.

[​IMG]

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

there is way to much cuff showing. And again that is a spread collar. Def not UCBD.
    The excess cuff might be an illusion resulting from the low camera angle. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the shirt collar, in that it looks more like a medium, centrist, moderate spread than a true spread or (God forbid) cutaway.

14. ted

ted Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh crap, now someone's bin steelin' my boxers. Least the shoulder pads in the suit are still there.

15. summej2

summej2 Well-Known Member

16. odoreater

I have to admit, it's pretty damned close. Earlier critics are probably right that pocket flaps are more conservative than besom pockets, so you get a point there. However, I have to deduct a point for the Windsor knot; too much artifice. I can't tell if the tie is woven or not; if so, deduct another point. I suppose that the small amount of color in the tie is acceptable, but it might bump you back down to mere CBD status rather that UCBD. Reds and yellows are thrilling, enlivening, and exciting -- Not Conservative.

The knot is a half windsor, not a full windsor, so I'll take half a point back. The tie is not woven, so I'll take another point there. I will let you know that the cuffs are french cuffs, so I will concede another point, but I will take a half point back because I'm wearing silk knots instead of cufflinks.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I will let you know that the cuffs are french cuffs

Clever the way you tried to hide that. Deceit is NOT CONSERVATIVE. And before anyone goes on a Bush-bashing bender, remember, this thread is NOT ABOUT POLITICS. We are talking about Conservative Business Dress, not Political Conservatism.

No way, man. It's the cuffs that count. If they're French, they are not conservative. In fact, anything French is not conservative.

18. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

In fact, anything French is not conservative.

[​IMG]

19. ted

ted Well-Known Member

In fact, anything French is not conservative.

Isn't that LePen guy conservative. Oh wait that's political......

20. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Scour this thread for neoligisms. You won't find any. The closest thing was "irrealis," thrown out to impress us by that blowhard Teacher. But it turns out, that's a real word.

Right, like throwing out a five-dollar word like neologism wasn't just to impress us. You don't fool me; I deal with undergrads like you every day.

No more ok than forming plurals with 's !

That's how we form plurals of symbols and abbreviations/initialisms, like VP's. Sheesh.

While the platypus rocks, it isn't the only mammal that lays eggs.
    [​IMG]

Echidnas actually lay eggs too.

[​IMG]

And together they are called monotremes.

Come on, guys. I think it's a bit unfair to take advantage of me for free language work. I'm not Frasier Crane (though I am much more attractive).