1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Conservative Business Dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 29, 2007.

1. juniper

juniper Well-Known Member

Jesus, I looked this up, and it's actually a real concept. What kind of dried up pedant loser actually know that?

Oh dear God I laughed so hard at that.

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Manton you do realize you could have bought 2 small Asian children instead of those 2 Alex "The Great" custom shirts.
    Sure. Worked for Brad and Angelina. The second one came free with an African kid.

3. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

Manton you do realize you could have bought 2 small Asian children instead of those 2 Alex "The Great" custom shirts.

Then put the Asian kids to work sweating out more shirts.

4. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Then put the Asian kids to work sweating out more shirts.

Exactly and create his own sweatshop in the basement of his house.

5. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Jesus, I looked this up, and it's actually a real concept. What kind of dried up pedant loser actually know that?

That's grammar daddy to you, femme.

[​IMG]

6. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

I don't take sartorial advice from decadent, childless Europeans who take eighteen weeks of vacation every month. Get your birthrates up, your economic output above Zimbabwe's, grow a sack, then we'll talk.
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah.. this from a guy who's stockmarket is looking rather listless lately.. That 'pseudo' conservative suit better be warm cause your housing market is melting down!

I said, clear as day, if the tie clip was too much for you scared little kittens, ditch it and go the ultraconservative route.
    Reading problems Mike? Remember... you were the one who wore that rather, ehem, flashy accessory in your first outfit.. claiming it 'conservative'.... maybe in an art gallery owner sort of way..

Once again, a reading comprehension failure. Pay attention, Little Dutch Boy:
    Again, I think you need to sit down with our dear Dr. Bresch... You are telling us how to dress conservatively, and you came from CAL? Who was your mentor? The 'naked' guy? Ahhh, that explains your tie choice!

7. ABALO

ABALO Well-Known Member

This thread is really great... and so funny. That makes me want a piece of advice from Manton on a daily basis
    [​IMG]

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Does this qulaify as conservative?

[​IMG]

9. Teacher

Rick Ocasek and Pee Wee Herman had a love child? Which one was the girl?

10. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Does this qulaify as conservative?

[​IMG]

Well, it is black, so it would be appropriate for work.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

This is what European reallyreallyreally conservative business attire looks like. Good for torching villages and riding roughshod. Pity all the peasants emigrated to the US. Oh well. [​IMG]

12. Teacher

Too many pleats.

13. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Too much waist suppression.

According to some clothing book I read, so much waist suppression is not appropriate in a business setting. If the author posted here, he might be able to confirm.

14. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I agree with his choice not to wear a pocket square. Pocket squares have no place in conservative business environments or environments where pillaging, plundering or riding roughshod may be necessary.

15. summej2

summej2 Well-Known Member

But he has forgotten the most important rule: a jacket should cover one's rear. His is far too short and effeminate.

16. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

The shades however are right on time.

17. Con Biz Dresser

Con Biz Dresser Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me or my less advanced sense of humor but it seems like the only purpose of this thread is to ridicule a certain style of dress even if Manton's original post was done in a serious manner as I assume he owns that suit. While I actually like the ensemble on the whole I cannot help but to comment that the jacket might be more presentable if it were stored stuffed with paper as I have previously discussed and have been doing so since, as this jacket's shoulders look a bit rumpled to my eye which sort of defeats the purpose of dressing conservatively in a professional business environment.

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Anyone who comes near my closet with even one shred of newsprint is going to get his @$$ kicked.

19. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

...as this jacket’s shoulders look a bit rumpled to my eye which sort of defeats the purpose of dressing conservatively in a professional business environment.

I think you're wrong here bub. See, in a conservative business environment you're supposed to look like you're so busy that you don't give a shit what you're wearing and the rumpled shoulders help advance that look. If your suit is not rumpled anywhere it makes you look like some dandy pantywaste who spends more time crumpling newspaper and putting it in his jacket sleeves than he does wheeling and dealing. Got it?

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I think you're wrong here bub. See, in a conservative business environment you're supposed to look like you're so busy that you don't give a shit what you're wearing and the rumpled shoulders help advance that look.

If you're the bootlicking junior associate, sure. You probably drive yourself to work, too.