1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

comments on this jacket worn by HRH

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by faustian bargain, Mar 18, 2005.

1. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

i thought this jacket was interesting. anyone know anything about it? looks like just one button on the sleeves. /andrew [​IMG]

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I think he's wearing Highland garb, probably a day jacket above a kilt.

Will

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I have a Harris tweed sport coat I bought at a second hand shop in Oxford that only has one button on the sleeve.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I have a very thick tweed Norfolk jacket, also with one button on the sleeve.
    ~zjpj

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

It does seem to take its inspiration from traditional costumes. I would be interested to know more about it.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Which is why you only get the shot from the torso up... On another note...Love is certainly blind... [​IMG]

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Learn more about traditional Highland clothing at http://www.kinlochanderson.com. They hold warrants from the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales. Will

9. faustian bargain

10. faustian bargain

BTW here's chuck with the skirt: [​IMG]

11. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

12. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

My recently arrived Lambourne tweed hacking jacket from Sierra with the "action" back has this sleeve button arrangement also.

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

(Fabienne @ Mar. 18 2005,11:38) It does seem to take its inspiration from traditional costumes. Â I would be interested to know more about it.
    Learn more about traditional Highland clothing at http://www.kinlochanderson.com. They hold warrants from the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales. Will
    Thanks. I like the first waistcoat (Day Waistcoat, with 5 stag horn buttons). Very cool.

14. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Not to hijack but care to comment on the quality of the lambourne. Canvas?? what does the "action' back mean. The sierra only has picture from the front.

thanks
    -

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I may be misremembering this, but as I recall it, the Naples tailoring tradition is:

Odd jacket with patch pockets = one sleeve button (per sleeve, of course)
    Odd jacket with flapped pockets = two sleeve buttons
    Suit jacket with patch pockets = three sleeve butons
    Suit jacket with flapped or besom pockets = four sleeve buttons

16. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I think it means that when you push the back, the wearer does a karate chop [​IMG] Oh wait - that was my GI Joe. Bradford

17. faustian bargain

that's kinda fascinating...do the english have a similar setup, or is it all 4-buttons generally? (minus the presently-discussed jackets.)

/andrew

18. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

The Lambourne "action" back (I found it funny myself) is a vented/bellows/folded seam style, allowing more movement across the shoulders (like in a Norfolk jacket I think) I hope this makes sense, everyone has I am sure seen something similar before, but I am finding it hard to explain.

The jackets are VERY generous in size, so do not get one size bigger for safety, they are large. The quality is good, but I have no idea if they are canvased or not. They also have a hacking jacket neck tab, that allows the jacket to be closed to the neck, and which stows away behind the lapel.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a "system" or anything. Four buttons on any suit sleeve is the standard. Odd jackets will take four, or three, or (in the case of really casual stuff) two spaced exactly one button part. This last was Brooks standard on odd jackets for many years. They even did it on some suits, if I recall.