1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Collar pin survey

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Jul 15, 2003.

1. ForeverMan

ForeverMan New Member

I think that it's a kind of so-called "vintage" style. Looks stylish when somebody wears it...

2. Montauk

Montauk Well-Known Member

I think it basically disappeared during the 1960s but like any other trend it probably started dwindling as soon as it became popular. Maybe shirts became proportionately too expensive, maybe collar styles shifted, maybe it became dated and got further shoved aside by the sexual revolution? Probably no one element caused it's virtual demise. One thing that is interesting is that it is still recognized as a valid style; unlike say wearing a wing collar with a day suit.

I reckon the demise of the collar pin also had something to do with the gowing popularity and eventual dominance of the attached collar shirt. Remember that through the 30s even soft collars were generally detachable, and thus more easily replaced after a few too many punctures.

Mostly I think pins just went the way of any more extreme fashion. Let's face it--there's nothing "natural" about them. Myself, I love their brazen fastidiousness, and I often indulge when my context is indulgent, but I recognize that they are costumey and best appreciated in theory rather than practice.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

I reckon the demise of the collar pin also had something to do with the gowing popularity and eventual dominance of the attached collar shirt. Remember that through the 30s even soft collars were generally detachable, and thus more easily replaced after a few too many punctures. Mostly I think pins just went the way of any more extreme fashion. Let's face it--there's nothing "natural" about them. Myself, I love their brazen fastidiousness, and I often indulge when my context is indulgent, but I recognize that they are costumey and best appreciated in theory rather than practice.
    But I think it went out with a whimper rather than a bang. People still recognize it as a look. Somehow is survives in the collective cultural mindset.

4. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Bump!

Anyone know where I can buy a 14k gold collar pin online? I've come across a couple sites but they seem less than reputable...