• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/hiphop/Outlet brand" vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL is not"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate getting questions about clothes from people who are not into clothes like many of us are here on the forum. People usually ask where you got something. If it is shoes since I generally get all of mine at Leffot do I tell them the physical location? If so, they usually ask what brand they are, which they won't know either. It is a losing and pointless conversation. Simply most people are used to shopping at the physical location of whatever they are buying, ie. Banana Republic, J. Crew, etc.

I remember one of my girlfriend's friends, this dude asked me where he can get some "expensive shoes". It was a question worthy of :rolleyes: to begin with. I sent him to Leffot. He texted her a few days later up in arms because his idea of expensive was missing a zero from most of what is at Leffot.

It all is pointless.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I hate getting questions about clothes from people who are not into clothes like many of us are here on the forum. People usually ask where you got something. If it is shoes since I generally get all of mine at Leffot do I tell them the physical location? If so, they usually ask what brand they are, which they won't know either. It is a losing and pointless conversation. Simply most people are used to shopping at the physical location of whatever they are buying, ie. Banana Republic, J. Crew, etc.

I remember one of my girlfriend's friends, this dude asked me where he can get some "expensive shoes". It was a question worthy of :rolleyes: to begin with. I sent him to Leffot. He texted her a few days later up in arms because his idea of expensive was missing a zero from most of what is at Leffot.

It all is pointless.

I know this is the reality but for some reason I persist.

That said I did actually convert a few friends in college. They all now completely blame me for their ridiculous spending and need for quality. I suppose even if you win, you don't win.

Last edited:

freedom_fries

Reaction score

It all is pointless.

i just always tell people i got things at wal mart.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It all is pointless.

I never really know what to say. Usually just something like, "oh, here and there, I'm always on the lookout for something nice..." If somebody shows real genuine interest in a particular article then I'll obviously just tell them where I got it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the answer is Brooks or eBay or something the asker might have heard of, I just say that. If it's something obscure, I'll say "I got these online" or "I picked these up while traveling" or, even better, "I found these on sale."

If someone really wants to know, I'll share the specifics. But usually it's just polite chit chat, so it's not hard to advance the conversation.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

LOL, what a rude thing to say after asking that question.

Haha. Yes, my friends are more than uncouth when it comes to matters of style. I believe the latest quote was something to the effect of, "If I pay $500 for a pair of shoes, I better get laid every time I wear them."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's very possible although they might have to shell out much more than that for a decent hooker.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would anyone be impressed by a maker he hadn't heard of? Do you offer a helpful explanatory description such as "These are made by the venerable English firm of Crockett & Jones, established 1879"?

Does this really need to be explained?
Anything mysterious and unknown is impressive.
"I got these at Target" vs. "These are Hendrick & Jones. Only made in England"

It all is pointless.

Leffot probably sells lots of shoes for $500
What did he think was expensive? $50?
What a funny story. Shut him right up, I am sure.

i just always tell people i got things at wal mart.

That's actually a great line, when the item in question clearly is not from Walmart.

Haha. Yes, my friends are more than uncouth when it comes to matters of style. I believe the latest quote was something to the effect of, "If I pay $500 for a pair of shoes, I better get laid every time I wear them."

Actually, I bet a significant proportion of SF had similar thoughts when they first started buying expensive clothing.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cognitive dissonance, this phrase, it does not mean what Reevolving thinks it means.

Sure it does.
Since you seem to have your own definition, let me share a common definition.
"discomfort caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously"

In other words, looking at someone wearing RL and thinking the subject line...

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo is not a prole brand. Nobody thinks that. (EDIT: by which I mean, when someone posts/asks about Polo RL on StyleForum, the response is not "that is a **** brand" as it would be in the case of Sean John and so many others. PRL is perfectly acceptable here, and this thread is stupid.)

Chaps is a prole brand.

/reetardation

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean..:

25fqcr4.png

this is why people think that, because some people decide to wear it like this and flash the logo like its all that matters to them. Also, I mean no disrespect, he can wear it however he wants, but its in a very sluggish casual way that we see all too often now with Polo. I still see some people wearing them in the preppy style, but not as much as like this dude..

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mean..:
25fqcr4.png

this is why people think that, because some people decide to wear it like this and flash the logo like its all that matters to them. Also, I mean no disrespect, he can wear it however he wants, but its in a very sluggish casual way that we see all too often now with Polo. I still see some people wearing them in the preppy style, but not as much as like this dude..

I'm dying.

An SFer should do a video reply. "Purple Label! Blue Label by Corneliani! Black Label by Caruso! Purple Label by Saint Andrews! Purple Label by Chester Barrie! Polo by Crockett & Jones! Signature Liiiinnne.. They don't even make that **** no more!!!! NO PONY. NO PONY!!!!! NO LOGOSSSSS!!!!!! "

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm dying.
An SFer should do a video reply. "Purple Label! Blue Label by Corneliani! Black Label by Caruso! Purple Label by Saint Andrews! Purple Label by Chester Barrie! Polo by Crockett & Jones! Signature Liiiinnne.. They don't even make that **** no more!!!! NO PONY. NO PONY!!!!! NO LOGOSSSSS!!!!!! "

If someone wanted to make a rebuttal video, they could make a new account and post it as a response video.
What would be the sound effect for the SF rebuttal video?

This guy would be a perfect addition to SF.
Someone please invite him, and send him this thread via his Youtube account.
He can sell some of that Polo stuff on B&S and buy a new carpet!

Brand dilution? Nah, not at all.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads