1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Coffee-table books about arcades

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by rdawson808, May 23, 2006.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any? I'd love to have a large coffee-table style book about arcades and the architecture and history of arcades. Any thoughts? I realize this is awfully obscure, but Amazon.com's keyword search is really rather useless in this regard.

cheers,
    bob

2. j

j Well-Known Member

Shopping arcades? Video arcades?

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I always liked Ms. Pac-Man.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I always liked Ms. Pac-Man.

[​IMG]

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Phaidon and Taaschen are two publishers that have great selections on art /architecture. Check online.

6. rdawson808

Bunch a smart-asses, the lot of you. [​IMG] I almost made some crack about it myself.

Thanks Designprof, I've give those a go.

bob

7. j

j Well-Known Member

Being an uncultured idiot, I was serious. [​IMG] What kind of arcade are you talking about? Example?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

How about Walter Benjamin's The Arcades Project? It's sublimely obscure.

9. rdawson808

Being an uncultured idiot, I was serious. [​IMG] What kind of arcade are you talking about? Example?

Oh, sorry, you know, the covered shopping areas like the Burlington Arcade in London. They became popular in the late 19th century, I believe.

The Arcades Project is one that I looked at and I am sure to get it. I was just wondering if there might be a nice photog book full of pretty pictures and history.

bob

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The Arcades Project is sort of like Aby Warburg; seemingly random, and obscure to the point of James Joyce on opium. I believe it's incomplete since Benjamin commited suicide before a final compilation.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Just remembered, you might also look at university presses, like Princeton Univ Press, MIT Press etc. They will have stuff that is hard to find and won't make it to the major distributors.