1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Coffee Grinder

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by otc, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Which grinder do you like under $200? How easy is it to be consistent with the drip styles? One of the great things about the Aeropress is that you can consistently produce good coffee with it if you follow a few simple rules. --Andre
    Andre - where did you get that metal filter for the Aeropress? The paper ones suck.

2. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

If you can't taste the difference between an average drip machine and a chemex, you are doing something wrong.

Not a drip machine. A drip cone.

you are reading it wrong

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i think good drip coffee takes a lot of skill. you have to a pourer where you can control the stream well.

as for grinders, baratza maestro, maestro plus, virtuouso refurb, the equivalent cappresso line up, solis lineup, zassenhaus, all can do do what the hario can better and more options. eg you cant really get a good espresso grind out of the harios. they're cute, small, light and good for travelling, but i dont think appropriate for an end all grinder.

4. arced

arced Well-Known Member

don't believe the hype. Chemex will not taste noticeably different than a drip cone with 2 papers. [​IMG]

I know there's hype, but I still like it. Two papers seems bothersome and I enjoy the amount (3-4 cups). Most people like their coffee hot, but I actually love having a pot of lukewarm coffee lying around and drinking it throughout the morning.

5. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Andre - where did you get that metal filter for the Aeropress? The paper ones suck.

Coava Coffee They even have metal cone filters for the drippers.

--Andre

6. pebblegrain

I know there's hype, but I still like it. Two papers seems bothersome and I enjoy the amount (3-4 cups). Most people like their coffee hot, but I actually love having a pot of lukewarm coffee lying around and drinking it throughout the morning.

I would love to put the douchebags who made the video through a blind test ("so one of these bloomed and dripped the horror, while the other was bloomed perfectly, no drip, just like you recommend. pick them out by taste alone").

Anyway, if you like Chemex I won't tell you it sucks. Hell, I have a Chemex clone (Hario Drip Pot). But chemex paper is pure fraud. For people who don't give a shit about aesthetics, they should get a plain drip cone and regular paper. If you like to make 4 cups, get a carafe to drip into. If you don't like plastics there are ceramic or glass drip cones as well.

Aeropress is great technology and I don't see any reason it wouldn't make as good a coffee as any other drip method.

7. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

A great book that goes into all of this with pretty good technical detail is Everything But Espresso. There's even a companion iPhone app that couples to a refractometer so you can measure the extraction ratio of your coffee. It looks like a great device for driving your local barista insane.

--Andre

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

I have had the Baratza for about a year and it has been fine. Yes it's build quality is not tank-like, but so far it has held up to daily use. And the grinding is first rate. So no complaints from me.

I also have the Hario hand grinder - it is a bit of a pain but it works well.

9. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Not a drip machine. A drip cone.

you are reading it wrong

Gotcha.

Coava Coffee They even have metal cone filters for the drippers.

--Andre

There was a blog post on the NYT's Ristretto about these back in November. Very positive.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...e/#more-122733

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Speaking of drip coffee I made the mistake of being in San-Fran-Frisco last week and stupidly compounded that mistake by ordering a coffee from Blue Bottle.

I just wanted a simple cup of coffee but the nearest thing they had to that meant waiting 5 minutes for some elaborate pouring process to unfold which gave me with an overly strong lukewarm cup of coffee.

$2.75.

Greatest scam ever.

lefty

11. pebblegrain

The extra dollar is for condescending trust fund hipster attitude. If they did not include this with your order then you should go back and ask for it.

12. indesertum

A great book that goes into all of this with pretty good technical detail is Everything But Espresso. There's even a companion iPhone app that couples to a refractometer so you can measure the extraction ratio of your coffee. It looks like a great device for driving your local barista insane.

--Andre

wow that app is awesome. i think i might buy the book. thanks for the info

13. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Well-Known Member

I've got this beast:
    [​IMG]

It's stylish, cheap, and bombproof. I've ground nuts and seeds in it and it's really strong. A bit of work, but highly recommended.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

What about a <$200 burr grinder for someone making French Press?

And I don't make espresso, ever.

15. indesertum

What about a <$200 burr grinder for someone making French Press?

And I don't make espresso, ever.

here you go

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/comme...ction&key=585R

[​IMG]

you wont be ddisappoinetd. it has all the functionality you need and nothing more. customer service is supposed to be great too and second market prices are pretty close to what they're asking for

16. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

How hard are these to clean, anyways?

17. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Well-Known Member

The Camano mill is a high-quality cast iron burr grinder that will last forever and not break, fwiw. It takes about 30 seconds to grind the beans for a press and costs $60. The pricy electronic machines just sound like a headache to me.

18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

How hard are these to clean, anyways?

I have a Virtuoso. Works well enough and is easy to clean, but the timer knob always falls off and the plastic bin is static central.

lefty

19. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  20. indesertum