1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by the_state, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bbconair

bbconair Well-Known Member

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

wait for sale duh. I get my tshirts from there for like $9-14 max and button shirts I don't look at until it's $29 max, often $19. Sometimes they're sold out by that point though. Even $39 -30% is pretty common though

3. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

Haven't posted here in a while, but CM continues to be my favourite store in Canada because of the third party stuff and MIA jackets they sell. The majority of them go on steep sale, so it always works out really well, especially with the Canadian dollar so low.

I purchased the Golden Bear moto (it's navy, but very hard to notice) and it's great. I got my tailor to take in the sleeves, and I'm just sad I have to wait another couple months before I can wear it.

The MIA jackets, I buy in size 36 and they fit perfectly in the shoulders (which is what matters most, as most people will need things like sleeves/chest adjusted). I'd say I wear a 35/36 in Epaulet stuff, so it's sized pretty much standard. A little on the shorter side, but not terribly so. I'm quite happy with them.

I was browsing through the Eaton Centre's location a few days ago and I came across a $400 brown suede gym bag for just $199, but with 40% off! Came up to $67 all in, and it's returnable. I'll be giving my brother as a birthday present, and he'll use it as his travel bag.

I remember about 2-3 years ago they had peccary gloves for $2-300 and eventually got it for about $80; that I was really happy about too.

4. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I love Club Monaco but our Vancouver store is 100% ass compared to the TO locations.

5. althanis

That sucks.

Last weekend I went in and saw they had some S and XS OCBDs from the MIA line, which I think is made my Southwick. I got 2 for $100 all in, which I was very happy about. A yellow/white stripe and a madras green.

I think I'd say that CM is my favourite store. Just waiting for the AE models to go on sale before all the sizes sell out, and hopefully pick a pair up.

6. TheRolls321

TheRolls321 Active Member

The MIA blazers are a steal right now with the extra 40 off. Ordered a dark green cashmere blazer for $60 with an original $750 price tag. I did have a question, who manufactures these blazers/suits?

7. Brlee898

Brlee898 Member

Most likely some Ralph Lauren factory in the US. After all, they own Club Monaco.

8. althanis

My thought was that it was Southwick, as I've seen fabrics at Club Monaco that I've seen at Epaulet's site for their MTO blazers. On one of the labels of a MIA blazer, the item code also began with SW, which made me think my suspicions were right.

Or there could just be multiple US factories/companies that make them too.

With Epaulet blazers coming in at $800 pretty soon, definitely looking to CM more.

9. althanis

Oh, and on the label of a MIA shirt I saw it said Made in Ashland, which is where Gitman is located.

10. Jayess

Jayess Active Member

Can anyone else confirm going up one chest size and going long? I do have broader shoulders for my frame and I know that CM usually fits slim...but wouldn't the sleeve length be too long?

11. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't size up.

12. KitBar

KitBar Member

I got this exact jacket in 38R (also ordered the 40S) and I found the 38 fit better. For reference I am a 38. Also keep in mind though, this was unlined so it might have had a bit more room in the chest. For fully lined jackets, perhaps its different.

Anyways, as long as its not on clearance I believe, you can return the items for up to 14 days for full refund, so just order it and if it is not what you like, you can easily send it back. If you have a local store, it is much easier. This is in Canada at least, so I assume the US would be the same, if not better.

13. Jayess

Jayess Active Member

So I ordered a 38R and 40L and as expected, the 38R was too cramped for the shoulders and jacket length too short (I am usually a 38-39R depending on the brand) but sleeves were ok. The 40L fit shoulders well and jacket length was good, but waist was too big and so were the sleeves. In all, it'll be hard to find a traditional fit with the CM suit jackets due to their shortened jacket length

14. althanis

The waist and sleeves are very easy to fix at a tailor. I've found it impossible to find something that fits perfectly right off the rack, and always get my stuff fixed up at a tailor.

15. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Well-Known Member

I never had any inclination to check Club Monaco out over the years, but on a whim I decided to wander into their designated men's store in Yorkdale Mall.

I was impressed. I didn't realize that they carried other brands or did collaborations with them. Dress shoes from Allen Edmonds, boots from Wolverine (although they're switching to Red Wing this season), Il Bussetto wallets, and so on. I did browse through their suiting, but I don't remember where the fabric came from.

Believe it or not, what pleased me the most from my visit was that they carry Anonymous Ism socks. None of the menswear boutique stores in downtown Toronto seem to carry them (and I've yet to check J Crew to see if they have them; I know they're online), so I was thinking that I'd be forced to buy them online. I may buy a pair the next time I visit a CM store, and then wait for a sale to obtain more. (I don't like buying socks for myself, as odd as that sounds. And they're $27 a pair.)

I'm not sure how the other Toronto stores (Queen St. West, Yorkville) fare, but I'll be checking them out when I have the time. Either way, Club Monaco is now on my radar, if only for Anonymous Ism. Is there anything else I should be checking out the next time I wander in? From the looks of it, sale time is when I should pounce on anything.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  16. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

The Yorkdale and Bloor locations will always carry more 3rd party stuff than any other store since they're the flagship locations.

17. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Yeah I think they really focus on their "big city" stores. For example Sherway Gardens has nearly nothing for men.

18. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I was blown away by the Bloor location when I visited last September. I was there with my girl and we must've spent close to an hour in there. The Vancouver location, by contrast, is like 1/10th the size and the mens selection flat out sucks.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd say the Bloor and Yorkdale stores are good for interesting stuff. Eaton's just has a lot of stock so good place to look when sales racks come out. Ones like Queen West or North Yonge (Eglinton/Lawrence) are kinda meh. If you're in the neighborhood I guess.

20. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Does a size 12 stand any chance at fitting into Anonymous Ism socks, do you know?

They appear to be one-size-only everywhere I've seen them, but I can't imagine how one size is supposed to fit both a 6-7 and a 12-13.

I figure if they're made in Japan they probably cater to the small end exclusively, but I'd love to be wrong.