• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing for the 40yr old

Cooper'

Reaction score
40 is a tough age for clothes. Most stores cater to younger or older styles. I can pick some fromm the gap, j crew, etc but most of it is to trendy. On the other end I can shop at brooks brothers and macy's type stores but beyond a few classic styles they are much too conserative. Any thoughts on a nice middle ground out there to shop at? Any websites, blogs?

Thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Gap and J Crew are not for you for daily wear. Check out the WAYWRN threads. Some of those geezers are appr 40...Get some ideas...

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cooper'
40 is a tough age for clothes. Most stores cater to younger or older styles. I can pick some fromm the gap, j crew, etc but most of it is to trendy. On the other end I can shop at brooks brothers and macy's type stores but beyond a few classic styles they are much too conserative. Any thoughts on a nice middle ground out there to shop at? Any websites, blogs?

Thanks

What do you do professionally? Are you talking work clothing or casual? You can do just fine shopping here if you're patient. You're going to find that you'll do well buying one piece at at time, instead of trying to rely on a particular store or brand for everything. Some of the "conservative" stuff that might turn you off at first glance can be tailored to look extremely trim.

Also don't knock Brooks Brothers without looking hard at some of their newer stuff. They have some very trim suits out there now, and the new line looks really good across the board.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think suits should be especially flashy. You could get a BB suit and, with the right supporting pieces, look as non-conservative as you want.

Besides, as cncrd mentioned, BB does make non-conservative stuff too. If you want to get really, really tailored, try Polo black label. Better rethink desert though.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren. Timeless, classic, well made, and appropriate for all ages ... yet they still manage to swim within the trends of fashion.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black label for you my friend.

Cooper'

Reaction score
Professionally I'm a pilot so work clothes are pretty much set. I'm talking everyday casual. I have formal and holiday wear covered as I do like classic looks. The big problem is day to day. For example, since summer is approaching, I've outgrown the shorts and t-shirt look and would like a little nicer look but still very casual. Polo's, cargo shorts, and top siders are my current go to look.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40virgin.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cooper'

Thanks

Hang out here for a while and see what interests you. There are many options available to a guy at 40.

Consider combining some traditional and some more fashionable items to develop your own "middle ground".

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I'm at a loss on the casual side (I'm 37). I'm ready to give up t shirts but the idea of polo shirts and khakis hurt my anus.

Slim button downs are almost always better than polos. Roll up the sleeves when it's hot.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton pants in interesting colors. Casual, but expensive shoes. Shirts. Sweaters. That's what I do now and intend on doing when I reach 40.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I'm at a loss on the casual side (I'm 37). I'm ready to give up t shirts but the idea of polo shirts and khakis hurt my anus.

I think both polo shirts and khakis have their place. For instance, a navy blue polo shirt and blue & cream seersucker pants looks great. Likewise, a white shirt (linen, tee, or OCBD depending upon the weather) and khakis look great. Put 'em together, however, and while there's nothing instrinsically wrong with it, you look like one of the great herd of suburban masses.

Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Slim button downs are almost always better than polos. Roll up the sleeves when it's hot.

Always? It can get pretty hot in a long-sleeve shirt, even if we're talking linen. At least, in DC it can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads