1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clothing for the 40yr old

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cooper', Mar 4, 2011.

1. Cooper'

Cooper' Member

40 is a tough age for clothes. Most stores cater to younger or older styles. I can pick some fromm the gap, j crew, etc but most of it is to trendy. On the other end I can shop at brooks brothers and macy's type stores but beyond a few classic styles they are much too conserative. Any thoughts on a nice middle ground out there to shop at? Any websites, blogs?

Thanks

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

The Gap and J Crew are not for you for daily wear. Check out the WAYWRN threads. Some of those geezers are appr 40...Get some ideas...

3. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

40 is a tough age for clothes. Most stores cater to younger or older styles. I can pick some fromm the gap, j crew, etc but most of it is to trendy. On the other end I can shop at brooks brothers and macy's type stores but beyond a few classic styles they are much too conserative. Any thoughts on a nice middle ground out there to shop at? Any websites, blogs?

Thanks

What do you do professionally? Are you talking work clothing or casual? You can do just fine shopping here if you're patient. You're going to find that you'll do well buying one piece at at time, instead of trying to rely on a particular store or brand for everything. Some of the "conservative" stuff that might turn you off at first glance can be tailored to look extremely trim.

Also don't knock Brooks Brothers without looking hard at some of their newer stuff. They have some very trim suits out there now, and the new line looks really good across the board.

4. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I don't think suits should be especially flashy. You could get a BB suit and, with the right supporting pieces, look as non-conservative as you want.

Besides, as cncrd mentioned, BB does make non-conservative stuff too. If you want to get really, really tailored, try Polo black label. Better rethink desert though.

5. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren. Timeless, classic, well made, and appropriate for all ages ... yet they still manage to swim within the trends of fashion.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Black label for you my friend.

7. Cooper'

Cooper' Member

Professionally I'm a pilot so work clothes are pretty much set. I'm talking everyday casual. I have formal and holiday wear covered as I do like classic looks. The big problem is day to day. For example, since summer is approaching, I've outgrown the shorts and t-shirt look and would like a little nicer look but still very casual. Polo's, cargo shorts, and top siders are my current go to look.

8. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Thanks

Hang out here for a while and see what interests you. There are many options available to a guy at 40.

Consider combining some traditional and some more fashionable items to develop your own "middle ground".

10. Cooper'

Cooper' Member

[​IMG]

Nice![​IMG]

11. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Well-Known Member

Take a look at Man of Kent and Zissou. They're slightly older guys who wear casual clothes well.

12. acridsheep

I'm at a loss on the casual side (I'm 37). I'm ready to give up t shirts but the idea of polo shirts and khakis hurt my anus.

13. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Well-Known Member

I'm at a loss on the casual side (I'm 37). I'm ready to give up t shirts but the idea of polo shirts and khakis hurt my anus.

Slim button downs are almost always better than polos. Roll up the sleeves when it's hot.

14. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Cotton pants in interesting colors. Casual, but expensive shoes. Shirts. Sweaters. That's what I do now and intend on doing when I reach 40.

15. J. Cogburn

I think both polo shirts and khakis have their place. For instance, a navy blue polo shirt and blue & cream seersucker pants looks great. Likewise, a white shirt (linen, tee, or OCBD depending upon the weather) and khakis look great. Put 'em together, however, and while there's nothing instrinsically wrong with it, you look like one of the great herd of suburban masses.

Slim button downs are almost always better than polos. Roll up the sleeves when it's hot.

Always? It can get pretty hot in a long-sleeve shirt, even if we're talking linen. At least, in DC it can.

16. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

Save Khaki is an excellent casual line for a more mature customer!!

17. acridsheep

Always? It can get pretty hot in a long-sleeve shirt, even if we're talking linen. At least, in DC it can.

I'm in Atlanta, and long sleeves of any kind are untenable in the height of the summer.

18. Cooper'

Cooper' Member

I think both polo shirts and khakis have their place. For instance, a navy blue polo shirt and blue & cream seersucker pants looks great. Likewise, a white shirt (linen, tee, or OCBD depending upon the weather) and khakis look great. Put 'em together, however, and while there's nothing instrinsically wrong with it, you look like one of the great herd of suburban masses.

I agree. So what do you suggest? You mentioned Ralph Lauren. I could be a poster boy for them, well not really but I do get a lot of their shirts. I guess that's really the dilemma. How to look sharp, classic, and slightly set apart without looking out of place taking my wife to the mall.

19. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

I'm 42.

The sartorial world is your oyster. You can't and shouldn't dress like the kids any more, but you are old enough not to have to worry about being fashionable like a 20-something probably does. And young enough not to worry about looking like an old man.

Go for fit and quality. You'll be fine.

20. J. Cogburn

I agree. So what do you suggest? You mentioned Ralph Lauren. I could be a poster boy for them, well not really but I do get a lot of their shirts. I guess that's really the dilemma. How to look sharp, classic, and slightly set apart without looking out of place taking my wife to the mall.

I too like the Black Label line, but their selection is limited. Personally, I suggest you load up on white, cream, and tan linen pants, linen shirts in white and navy (short sleeve and long sleeve), a couple of iconic pieces like tees with horizontal naval stripes (ironically, the aforementioned demon-store J. Crew has some rather nice examples of this that you can wear), cotton sweaters of the same, maybe some pink and light blue gingham long sleeve shirts in light cotton, and a FEW polos (I have only three; a Ralph polo in custom fit white, a navy, and a deep red). Toss in a light weight khaki trouser, a seersucker trouser, and if you can find 'em (I get 'em bespoke) a pair of light grey and dark grey fresco trousers, and if you like, a pair of light weight red cords or cotton pants, and you should be good to go. That's your summer wear.

No cargo pants. No shorts (but if you MUST, one - and only one - pair of khaki shorts). And use the polos sparingly.

Cool weather clothes are a bit more demanding on the budget but are pretty easy. A good set of sweaters in various wools so you have some variety regarding texture (primarily crewnecks and rollnecks with a cardigan or two thrown-in if you like that look), some corduroys (dark brown and light brown are the staples), trousers made out of moleskin (dark colors) and flannel (light grey, mid grey, and dark grey). Flannels should be your equivalent of blue jeans. Your shirts should be cotton/wool blends or heavy OCBDs in white and blue. Throw in some tattersoll shirts and a couple of all-purpose patterned shirts (stripes and ginghams in darker colors) and you've got the basics.

Ralph sells most of the above in good cuts at decent prices. You can go pretty slim if you look for that end of their product line, but you can also go more classic. I recommend a mix of both.

FYI, I'm 47.