1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clothes to wear to a club/party?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Torec_Scrail, Jun 11, 2007.

1. yoyo

yoyo Well-Known Member

It really depends on what kind of club you go to. There's a reason that people usually wear safe things. It avoids having people stare at you in the uncomfortable way.

beeing seen is the whole damn point of a club,

2. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Hah really? Know any other places? I've been to Holts a few times, dunno if they were the best times to go, since they didn't have the best selection of stuff (I've heard it's not nearly as good as the ones in Toronto..like..stuff I've seen gotten from there) More expensive..but I guess, it's better to get and know it fits then to get something cheaper and totally not fit...
    The Club Monaco in Polo Park has some decent shirts on sale often. Holt is alright but I think it's usually overpriced. I would advise to stay away from the trendy stores down on Corydon etc since its very eurotrash and more suited for women. You can't really save on good footwear, so RM Williams or Tyrwhitt chealsea would be a good start.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You want a safe, but still reasonably stylish outfit that will get you in anywhere? Here we go:

1)Blue, short, slim, blazer style jacket (I like the Acne Aktie 2 jacket http://shop.acnejeans.com/system/sea...uct.asp?id=376)
    2)Short, slim, untucked, long sleeve buttonup - Band of Outsiders is perfect here
    http://www.guisestore.com/product_p/14414.htm
    3)military style pants (not pressed pants, so if you go to a more casual place, you will not look out of place, but not jeans, in case there is a dress code)
    These by Cloak are awesome, and I would get them if they had my size:
    http://www.shopjake.com//index.php?p...D=1107&size=36
    Casual, slightly distressed boots from someone like Varvatos or NDC.
    http://www.barneyscoop.com/b/c/brows...&categoryId=38 Again, will look casual enough for a casual place, but won't get you excluded because of sneakers.
    Spice it up with a more colorful canvas belt, (I like these BoO belts depite myself: http://www.shopjake.com//index.php?p...roduct_ID=1255) and you are good to go.

If the place is more casual, you can ditch the jacket. The trick is that all the pieces look good separately, and work well together because the silhouette is coherent (one of my favorite - fitted top, slightly loose bottom) but the styles and colors of the pieces are not too matchey-matchey.

4. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Well-Known Member

beeing seen is the whole damn point of a club,
    There's a difference between being noticed (seen) and being stared at uncomfortably. That aside, LAGuy has some pretty good suggestions. It still remains that I am cooler than he is.

5. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Well-Known Member

I, for one, don't like being stabbed. Evidently you frequent only clubs with genteel people.

Who would want to go to a club where you have to consciously worry about getting stabbed? [​IMG]

6. bBoy JEe

I enjoy hip hop, and the clientèle at clubs that play such music can be somewhat intimidating. Also, for some reason, in Ottawa, people seem to like to fight. I have taken to long walks in the park and biking along the canal as replacement entertainment.

7. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Here's a site showing you what people are wearing to clubs in Scottsdale and other areas of Phoenix.

http://az.napkinnights.com/

We have an interesting scene that includes a lot of AmJack, but it may give you some ideas. At the very least, you can check out the girls.

8. BrettChaotix

I enjoy hip hop, and the clientèle at clubs that play such music can be somewhat intimidating. Also, for some reason, in Ottawa, people seem to like to fight. I have taken to long walks in the park and biking along the canal as replacement entertainment.

Dude, I'm in Baltimore. I think we are #2 right now in murders in North America.... If I can avoid trouble, anyone can!

9. bBoy JEe

You're right.... Baltimore is skeery. A lot of of the Cops episodes I watch are in Baltimore =)

10. Pim

Pim Active Member

I just wear the clothes I normally wear(examples in the members pictures topic) to clubs/bars. Jeans/dress shirt/dress shoes. Sometimes instead of blue jeans I wear white linnen pants or a green more baggy one. Shirts with a good fit always work [​IMG].

11. topik

topik Well-Known Member

It really depends on what kind of club you go to. There's a reason that people usually wear safe things. It avoids having people stare at you in the uncomfortable way.

Are you kidding me? If you're going out to clubs chances are you want to either party or get laid. Dressing safe makes you blend into the crowd because you look the same as everyone else. I personally want to stand out when I'm at a club.

12. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

Hmmm... depends on what purpose you're serving by going to the club, and what kind of club you're going to. I will say a few things:

1) Women notice shoes. Your shoes have to be on point. Nice boots or dress shoes, if they work with your outfit, are great, though I would say that the dress shoes shouldn't be too perfectly polished and glossy, or you'll look like you're trying too hard. LA Guy's suggestions were good.

2) At this point, everyone wears jeans everywhere, so you have two choices: wear "better" jeans (better on this forum is probably not equal to "better" in the eyes of certain females you may be trying to impress, FWIW--personally, I don't care, I'd still wear slim, dark raw denim) or switch away from jeans entirely. If you go for trousers, that will already make you stand out a little just because you're not wearing the same thing everyone else is. Again, though, I'd make sure there's at least a hint of casual in there.

3) LA Guy's point about each layer being good on its own is also very good.

I guess my general point is that if it was me, I'd try to make sure that most of the pieces I was wearing *hinted* at a more sophisticated, formal side without veering into "I just got home from work" or "My entire closet is organized, crossreferenced according to season and the color wheel, and I note frequency of wear of each piece in the Excel spreadsheet on my desktop every morning" territory. You want to look simultaneously sophisticated and casual, IMO. And the largest ingredient in that is actually not what you're wearing, it's your attitude.

13. BrettChaotix

2) At this point, everyone wears jeans everywhere, so you have two choices: wear "better" jeans (better on this forum is probably not equal to "better" in the eyes of certain females you may be trying to impress, FWIW--personally, I don't care, I'd still wear slim, dark raw denim) or switch away from jeans entirely. If you go for trousers, that will already make you stand out a little just because you're not wearing the same thing everyone else is. Again, though, I'd make sure there's at least a hint of casual in there.

Good point - go to a tacky meat-market club full off tacky meat-market-club-girls and they will want to see guys in tacky gear.

14. Pim

Pim Active Member

I useually make sure the shirts/suits/shoes I buy can be worn to a club too. Why dress like your 60yr old boss anyway and it's convenient because you can go from work to a bar(club after) without going home, just loose the jacket and try to always have jeans in your office [​IMG]. + shirts that can only be worn when one goes out useually look ridiculous.

15. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

Definitely depends on where you are going and what the dress code is....t-shirts + jeans are OK here. I feel like sharing pics, maybe you shouldn't follow my advice, but it's chill and works for sure. [​IMG]in pink shirt/black tie

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

I just got back from a bar tonight and wore my pbjs, mjk 3/4 sleeve henley and some brown gola strides. I didn't look out of place. You can always check out hotchickswithdouchebags.com for club clothing advice.

17. lsquare

lsquare Well-Known Member

Is it ever bad to wear sneakers with jeans to a club though?

18. Pim

Pim Active Member

Ye cuz they might reject you with the lame sneakers excuse when you're not on the guestlist.

19. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

Ye cuz they might reject you with the lame sneakers excuse when you're not on the guestlist.
    Not true, it depends where you go.

20. lsquare

lsquare Well-Known Member

And if I am?