1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Classic Car Collectors

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mm84321, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mm84321

mm84321 Well-Known Member

Anyone on here a classic car collector, or have an interest in classic cars?

2. deaddog

deaddog Well-Known Member

Define classic. I just sold my 1969 Firebird convertible and am in the market for a new 60's muscle car.

3. mm84321

I'd define classic cars as 20-50 years or older. My dad had a 58' Thunderbird growing up. It was always a blast riding around town in it and seeing the expressions on everyone's face. The nostalgia of older cars is something that I really enjoy.

4. mmhollis

mmhollis Well-Known Member

My grandfather, uncle and I used to go to classic car shows when I was a kid. I got away from it for a little while but now I'm starting to get back into it. Hope to get to a few shows this summer. My grandfather had a '64 Buick that was beautiful. I didn't talk to my mom for a week or so after she encouraged him to sell it.

5. mm84321

I've always wanted to go to the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The Greenwich one is nice as well, but Monterey is just such a gorgeous setting for a car show.

6. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Well-Known Member

Yup. I have a '65 Thunderbird and a '73 Mustang Mach 1 that was in Hot Rod Mag back in '89. [​IMG] [​IMG] Pops has '56 and '57 Thunderbirds and a '65 Mustang. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

Took my classic car out for Irish food last night.

I've been trying to get ahold of a classic jag forever now. Problem is I cannot seem to sell any of my current cars. Market is shit. Cannot buy without selling something first.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Someday, when I have the space.... I plan on bringing a lot of my favorite cars over from Japan. Great prices on a lot of rarities that didn't even make it to America, because they can't get them registered eventually, without mega restoration and overhaul. I plan to use the 25 years and older clause for importing classics without much extra red tape. Used cars in Japan I've browsed recently: 280SE cabrio with like 60K km's on the clock, all original, $40K pristine euro-spec E24 M6, like $15K this Alfa GTV is great, it's like $12K http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/detail...0CU0005641811/

9. epb

epb Well-Known Member

Took my classic car out for Irish food last night.

I've been trying to get ahold of a classic jag forever now. Problem is I cannot seem to sell any of my current cars. Market is shit. Cannot buy without selling something first.

Which Jag? I've been looking at Series II E-type coupes (not the 2+2, though), hoping to snag one sometime this year. The target is to have two classic Jags by the time I'm 50 (a few years from now) - an E-type coupe and an early XJ6. Ideally both would be from 1970 and nice drivers rather than concourse/trailer queens.

10. roycel

roycel Member

imployt_one: get an E24 M635csi (instead of the M6) if you can. I believe those are considered more desirable. ...I drive an E24 635csi. Will never really amount to much, so I'll probably turbo the M30. [​IMG]

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I have a 67' plymouth satellite

12. Snoopysniffer

Snoopysniffer New Member

Any one know where I can find a Lamborghini Miura,1972,P400 SV? There's one in Hong Kong for $900,000, but that's a bit out of my range. Also Series II Jags are the way to go. Try out Eagle E Types on the net to see some beauties. How about the big Healy's? MK 3000?

13. suited

suited Well-Known Member

My Uncle has a garage filled with a collection of somewhere around 15. A few have never been in the rain. Some of my favorites are his 59' Cadillac and his Yenko/COPO Camaros.

14. impolyt_one

Any one know where I can find a Lamborghini Miura,1972,P400 SV? There's one in Hong Kong for $900,000, but that's a bit out of my range. Also Series II Jags are the way to go. Try out Eagle E Types on the net to see some beauties. How about the big Healy's? MK 3000?

There's 3 Miura P400S' for sale on Yahoo! JP used cars right now, but you know SV's don't exactly come cheap. I think you could expect to spend $500K on a 'common' Miura, easily.

(the silver Miura is sex)
    http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/search/LGS999/

I really like the Islero, actually. Something about those front fenders. If you've ever seen the Beatles rooftop video for 'Don't Let Me Down' there's a red Islero parked on the street that you see a few times, and a series 1 E-type as well. [​IMG]

15. impolyt_one

I have a 67' plymouth satellite

what kind of car is in your avatar? (always wondered) - it looks like a Bertone styled Jaguar XJ?

16. impolyt_one

imployt_one: get an E24 M635csi (instead of the M6) if you can. I believe those are considered more desirable. ...I drive an E24 635csi. Will never really amount to much, so I'll probably turbo the M30. [​IMG]

I think those are, but I wouldn't be so picky - any car I'd buy, I would drive the hell out of. [​IMG]

17. pat pearson

pat pearson Well-Known Member

Here is my contribution.

1965 Jaguar E-Type Series 1. British Racing Green with all black hydes. 35000 original miles.

[​IMG]

Favorite pic from its last wash.

[​IMG]

18. mm84321

That's a beauty, Pat.

Has anyone here watched the series Chasing Classic Cars on Discovery? The man that refurbishes all of the cars on the show lives by me.

19. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

Here is my contribution.

1965 Jaguar E-Type Series 1. British Racing Green with all black hydes. 35000 original miles.

[​IMG]

Favorite pic from its last wash.

[​IMG]

Thats a really gorgeous car.

20. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

^ Beautiful.

I grew up helping my dad prep his cars for showing...I distinctly remember cleaning the front wheel well of his '64 Bentley S3 with a toothbrush, when I was still small enough to fit into a wheel well.

It was one of the highest ranked cars in Rolls Royce Owner's Club history, and my dad had to sell it when my folks divorced.

[​IMG]

True story: we were in the final round of consideration for best in show at the annual RROC meet, having already taken Best in Class. Another car, a spectacular early '50s Silver Wraith that arrived at the meet in a custom-built lucite panel truck along with a team of restorers, was several points ahead of the rest of the competition until...a judge noted that at least one of the fuses had been replaced with a length of plain copper wire. DQ'd for a safety violation!

We wound up taking second best in show - "Rolls Royce of Canada", instead of the "Rolls Royce of North America" trophy. Our team of restorers was me (aged 12 or 13), my dad and my mom. My dad had gone on ahead of us with the car, and my mom and I rode down on Amtrak. I spent the trip sanding, priming and painting a pair of replacement valve covers that we installed the night before the meet. The car had been sold to my folks with Rolls Royce valve covers, which fit but were incorrect. We found the correct pair of Bentley covers in a junkyard in upstate New York a few days before the show, took them down with us and finished prepping them on the way.