1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Classic Boot Recommendations

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Chapin, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Chapin

Chapin Member

Hi,
    I need to get some work boots for my job. I was looking at docs but I don't really like the fit/craftsmanship. Does anyone have any suggestions of work boots that are somewhat stylish? I really just want a plain black 8-10 eyelet, possibly steel toe boot, but all the ones I've looked at so far have ugly padding at the top, toe caps, or weird designs. Thanks for any help.

2. timpoblete

timpoblete Well-Known Member

Redwings? Classic style, very rugged. They've been around since 1905 and there's probably a store near you that carries them so that you can get just the right fit. www.redwingshoes.com I'd go for these classics (1905's), but there are a lot more on their site, including steel toes. [​IMG] For black ones, just did a quick search and came up with: Red Wing 4473 - Mens - 8-inch Steel Toe and Puncture Resistant http://www.redwingshoe.com/productde...px?prodid=1429 [​IMG]

3. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Well-Known Member

4. brozek

brozek Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't tell anybody about these, because it just means the wait will be longer when I can afford a pair, but W.C. Russell Moccasin Co makes some outstanding boots - all custom. They'll even make them out of the hide of an animal you shot, if, y'know, you know how to shoot animals.
    [​IMG]

5. jml90

jml90 Well-Known Member

I LOVE my Double H harness boots

6. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't tell anybody about these, because it just means the wait will be longer when I can afford a pair, but W.C. Russell Moccasin Co makes some outstanding boots - all custom. They'll even make them out of the hide of an animal you shot, if, y'know, you know how to shoot animals.

Russells are specatacular and I love mine beyond all reason. I'd also recommend them to anyone that has the patience to wait 3 months for them. That said, if you need boots for work you probably don't have 3 months to wait.

7. Chapin

Chapin Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I loved everything that was posted but for time and money reasons I think I'm going to get the JCrew Vintage workboot,
    http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat107074 (maybe dye them black?).
    Does anyone have any bad experiences with their shoes?

8. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Well-Known Member

If your gonna buy those you should just buy the original Alden Indy boot that those are ripped off from.

9. nomovement

nomovement Well-Known Member

why not get some blundstones?

10. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

If your gonna buy those you should just buy the original Alden Indy boot that those are ripped off from.
    It is such a blatant rip-off, but at half the price of the Indy boot, I can see the appeal. The Alden 405 is a better value in the long run, though. [​IMG]

11. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Well-Known Member

I have to admit I kinda like them. the leather doesn't look as nice though.

12. wheelerray

wheelerray Well-Known Member

Russells are specatacular and I love mine beyond all reason. I'd also recommend them to anyone that has the patience to wait 3 months for them. That said, if you need boots for work you probably don't have 3 months to wait.

Oh S**t! I have to stay off this site--going broke. Didn't know about this company before. Their stuff looks fantastic. And the 3 months will pass whether I have boots on order or not.

13. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

just out of curiosity, on average how much are the Russell boots anyway?

-Jeff

14. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

They start at about $250 and go up from there depending on the boot, the leather choosen, and the options.
    The prices have gone up about $10-$20 a pair since I bought mine the first of the year.

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

Frye makes some nice boots, and you can get 'em cheap at a number of online stores.