1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Fashion Fan

Fashion Fan Well-Known Member

Hey everyone what do you guys think is the better color way Sand or Chestnut suede in terms of looks, maintenence, versavtility and your personal opinion.

2. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Well-Known Member

Mistakenly wore my sand suedes to a punk show last night, standing right up front surely didn't help, d'oh! They're fucked now so I'm gonna have to get another pair since they're probably my most worn footwear.

3. Fashion Fan

Fashion Fan Well-Known Member

Hmm looks like chestnut may be the more versatile color and prob requires less maintence too, although I find sand is more fitting for the summer.

4. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

Those are straight up worn. Mine came kinda beat up but that's expected, those look bad for brand new

5. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer Member

How many of you guys actually bother treating your Suede Desert Boots .I have just got some of the Clark cola suede and the brown suede.Not sure whether to just let them age and get beat up without worrying about getting the suede sprayed with some suede protector.

6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Waterproof them unless you want to run the risk of getting blotched up suede boots...

7. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Well-Known Member

you'll probably want to spray them. i have the desert suede db's and i sprayed them twice over this past winter. water spots are the biggest thing to worry about. mine have been worn probably 5x/week on average and they look good...definitely have a worn look to them but still look great imo.

8. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

It turned my tan suede DBs much darker and kind of ruined the color for me. I didn't treat my other suede pair and just try not to wear them it's raining or snowing, but it's not a big deal if they get wet because they're casual enough shoes.

9. Distorbiant

Which spray did you use? Some are made to not darken the fabric after drying. You're supposed to put on a tiny bit and see if the color changes.

10. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Well-Known Member

11. chocobo

chocobo Active Member

I ordered beeswax. Strangely Amazon offers two different options, Beeswax (the lighter honey-brown color) and Beeswax Leather, which is dark brown like mine. I made sure to order the lighter Beeswax option.

I just got back from the store to compare the two, it was quite the surprise for me. Both pics taken with the same camera- http://i.imgur.com/V6nRoFh.jpg

OK, that is NOT just the lighting. WTF did I receive from Amazon, some kind of knockoffs? Or do they only have this "Beeswax Leather" option if you buy them on sale or something?

And now there another weird thing going on here. My new pair have been sitting on a chair, all alone by themselves, nothing touching them or bumping into them or anything... and there's now a new discolored area on them - http://i.imgur.com/GJslB1U.jpg What the heck is up with these boots? Rubbing it with my finger does nothing. It looks like the color just evaporated off of this area or something, I don't get it at all.

I think it's time for a return/exchange, this is just weird.

12. chocobo

chocobo Active Member

I'm responding to Flyinglion's post #6441, for some reason it won't let me quote and reply. He asked what color I ordered, because mine look darker than his beeswax DBs.

I ordered beeswax. Strangely Amazon offers two different options, Beeswax (the lighter honey-brown color) and Beeswax Leather, which is dark brown like mine. I made sure to order the lighter Beeswax option.

I just got back from the store to compare the two, it was quite the surprise for me. Both pics taken with the same camera- http://i.imgur.com/L9gP7qC.jpg

OK, that is NOT just the lighting. WTF did I receive from Amazon, some kind of knockoffs? Or do they only have this "Beeswax Leather" option if you buy them on sale or something?

And now there another weird thing going on here. My new pair have been sitting on a chair, all alone by themselves, nothing touching them or bumping into them or anything... and there's now a new discolored area on them - http://i.imgur.com/GJslB1U.jpg What the heck is up with these boots? Rubbing it with my finger does nothing. It looks like the color just evaporated off of this area or something, I don't get it at all.

I think it's time for a return/exchange, this is just weird.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  13. Distorbiant

I would just email Amazon. That looks awful. I can't even imagine what they would look like after a couple months of use.

14. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Well-Known Member

good luck with that.

15. chocobo

chocobo Active Member

Just out of curiosity - what do you all think about the darker colored boots I received? I'm fairly new to the idea of making an effort to dress decently... the lighter brown beeswax DBs are generally considered to be a "can't go wrong" item that's really versatile, and that's why I chose it.

So what do you think about the darker ones? I'm curious to know if they'd be considered to be as nice looking and as versatile as the lighter ones. I was disappointed about the color earlier, but now I'm not sure if I dislike it enough to return it to Amazon and pay $30 more for the "right" color at a store.

The lighter color is more appealing to me, personally. But this thread contains people of posts about where people applied mink oil or Obenauf's LP to their boots, making them darker, and being very happy with the results. Any opinions would be appreciated.

16. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

I like the darker color, but its personal preference really.

17. baizb

baizb Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for replacements laces for my beeswaxs, I want a good quallity round ones. Any recommendations that I can order online?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  18. Flyinglion

Flyinglion Member

Its not a bad color. Some people even apply the various mink oils and such trying to obtain a darker color like that, and the color is just as versatile if not a little more. You'd still look sharp in them, and I've never seen clarks of that color so its certainly unique. They look almost black in the pictures you posted, and the lighter scratches and scuffs contrast well with it and gives them a very rugged look in my opinion.

But if you prefer the lighter color, then you should try to exchange them with the lighter color because an important part of style is feeling good about what you're wearing. If you tell Amazon that you were sent the wrong color I think they'll exchange them for the right color or at least give you a refund.

Apart from the color, do they feel okay? The leather or soles doesn't feel old, worn, or are cracking or anything?

19. chrispy650

chrispy650 Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy a pair of DBs in beeswax. I've seen various pics of beeswax with and without mink oil and I think I want to go a little darker. My question is are you suppose to break in the boots before applying the mink oil or could you put it on right away? Also do they get darker with time or just more distressed?

20. Flyinglion

Flyinglion Member

Applying it right away is fine, and usually preferred. Otherwise you'll need to clean the leather before applying it to get the best effect.