1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Clad Man Incotex Sale - Buyer Beware!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Spark, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

I assume you are steadily buying the mainline Incos at $400 each then?

What is the main difference that makes the ones in question "crap diffusion"?

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I saw curzon's post below and read the article that he referenced. Diffusion lines usually take a brand name that everyone knows, then cheaps out on all the fabrics and finishings, and still tries to sell it for a premium price by tricking the consumer that it's the real thing. FWIW, I haven't handled the Incotex Ivory pants myself, but if you read the first post in this thread, it illustrates pretty well that a lot of the high end details that are found on mainline Incotex are missing from the Ivory line.

Also, I'm usually pretty wary about stuff that shows up on Gilt anyway, since they are known to carry lines of merch that is made specifically for Gilt, which is pretty much always crap with a brand name stamped on it (i.e. their A. Testoni shoes are not of the same quality that is carried by other retailers, such as eHaberdasher)

3. cthip

cthip Well-Known Member

wish i had read this thread before i ordered them from myhabit. i guess the red flag should have been when they suddenly became available on my waitlist for the second and third time. . . .

4. Hockey3081

Hockey3081 Member

So I guess at $300 they aren't worth it, but for $90 pants are they ok? I have to dress nicely but I manage an apartment community that is under construction so I don't like wear my clothes that are overly expensive on site.

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

No.

Spend $~30 more and buy some wools from Howard Yount, Virtual Clothes Horse, or Shop the Finest.

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Well-Known Member

I purchased some Ivory Incotex Inside corduroy pants over the weekend. These were at a discount retailer on the same rack with a bunch of other trousers made by Ballin (Rendez Vous, Alan Flusser, etc.). Don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread or not, but the interwebz confirmed for me that these pants are, indeed, made by Ballin:

http://www.mrketplace.com/2629/ballin-to-produce-incotex-licensed-pant-line/

I can't add anything to what others have said with regards to how these stack up to actual incotex pants, as I don't own any. However, the quality is pretty good, and the fit is excellent. I'd pay between $50 and $100 for a pair of these in a fabric I liked.

7. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

is ballin good?

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Bump on this because they are on Gilt again today. Anyone else try these?

9. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Not I. Lots of the fabrics looked great (there was a tan wool/linen mix I was drooling over) but 9 1/4 rise is just not going to work for me. I might have rolled the dice on a few if the cut was more classic, but no way as they are.

10. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Also now featured on MyHabit. StyFo always comes through in answering these types of "should I/shouldn't I" type of questions!

11. ckgs

ckgs Active Member

"Ivory Incotex" back on Gilt again. Glad I found this thread.

12. heybear

heybear Well-Known Member

Bump with a question about relativity. Granted that Incotex Ivory should not be spoken of in the same sentence as mainline Incotex. But then in what company does it properly belong? Once Ivory falls into the deeply discounted territory (below $75, say) of Land's End and things like that, does it become a worthwhile choice (again, compared to similar things at that sub-$80 price point)? Not investment quality, obviously, but is it a reasonable option for someone looking for decent fabrics and slim cuts?