1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Torsion

Torsion Well-Known Member

I'm curious to try the Mag56, seeing positive remarks on the forums. I'm not a fan of the ring gauge but gotta at least try one.Price point for a box is way out of my pay scale though!

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

So glad I have no desire for cigars over 50rg or ELs to be honest.

3. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Only 50+ I enjoy are Connie A, San Juan, OR BHK 52/54, book and humidor cigars.

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Saw a whole set of book cigars on my recent trip. Insane. Didn't even know they existed.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Greatly enjoyed an Oliva Master Blends 3 (Liga Maestra) last night which is in a very pleasing oval press vitola.

Strong black pepper spice off the start with espresso coming in, cedar and leather in the background. Moved to cinnamon and dark chocolate with creamy natural aged tobacco providing the sweetness and then rounded out with the spice coming back into the forefront with dried plum. Full bodied cigar with a medium start moving to strong by the midway point.

[​IMG]

I've got a My Father Le Bijou coming up next @gnatty8

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Had one of the La Aroma de Cuba and Olivas last Friday. Those and the La Gloria Cubana are about the only NCs I routinely like. I see the Padrons and feel silly for lack of a better word shelling out $20-30 for one of those.

7. whiteslashasian

I have a several LAdC Edicion Especial and Mi Amor that I still haven't gotten to. Do you try a lot of NC's?

I don't have any of those "special" Padron's as I can't imagine they're that much better than your quality $8-15 stick.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I used to. Before I started travelling as much and realizing there are almost always cigar stores where I go (about 95% of my travel is international) and that I could pick up CC and bring them back for the same amount or less than NCs I kind of just stopped smoking NCs. I go back to them every now and again and usually the thing that turns me off them the most is the stupid-ass marketing behind them. God it makes me hate Americans so much.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but cheesy marketing isn't a reason in my opinion, not to buy a product. If it were, nobody would buy beer, lexus automobiles, or car insurance. I generally do smoke CC when abroad, but I've given up buying CC long ago since they just aren't worth the extra hassle to me, or even the added expense. Of course, I have found NC cigars that I absolutely love, and can compare against the hundreds of CC I have smoked over the years, so that makes it easier. When the embargo ends, will I buy CC? Sure, there are some Bolivars and MC that I love smoking from time to time, but my daily smokers will still be the NC.

10. whiteslashasian

I had that My Father Le Bijou last night. What a decadent piece of work. Pepper, dark chocolate, Colombian coffee, and rich wood. Then came grilling spices (coarse black peppercorn, sea salt, thyme) and a rib-eye seared in butter with additional raisin sweetness. Earth with molasses and pecan (like a pie), that wood and mixed spicy peppers coming on strong to the nub.

It wasn't the most refined and subtle cigar, nor was it the most bold, but I'd say it handles the rich bouquet of flavors with poise and balance that eludes most blends and comes together beautifully. I'm definitely picking up a box of these soon. Thanks for the rec again @gnatty8!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I always giggle when I read descriptions like this. Call my palate unrefined, but when I do indulge in a cigar, what I usually taste is... smoke and burning tobacco!

Edit: I'm just kidding of course. I do understand categorizing flavors under certain profiles (just like wine tasting), ex.: floral, woodsy, spices, etc. But so much precision always eludes me! Maybe I am a bit jealous of people that are able to discern so much complexity in cigars, wines and whisky!

12. whiteslashasian

That's pretty much what I thought before I sat down with a bottle of water to taste and enjoy the cigar in a different way than I had previously. Even if I'm just walking, my mind and palate isn't focused on the cigar and I can't zero in on flavors as acutely. People smoke in different ways and for different reasons, which is great if you're enjoying it.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed them!

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

Haven't had one in a while.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Torsion

PLPC with two others earlier whom never smoked these, both very impressed.EML ABR14. Mine are kept at 53rH, been smoking at at this level for about a year and it's my preference
    [​IMG]

16. Torsion

Smoking now, it's warm in NYC hurrah!In a t-shirt basking in sunshine enjoying an '09 Trini Reyes.Only 2 left from this box!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Torsion

OPG JUN14 Monte 2.Not a bad smoke but been searching for that cracker in this ten box,none of which have wowed me like others Monte 2's I've smoked before.About 1 hour and 20mins I still nubbed it!Anyway half a box left...
    [​IMG]

18. Torsion

RASS RAE MAY14 last night.Really enjoyed this one,took time to savour those flavours,long and lingering aftertaste.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

This past weekend I pulled a "mystery cigar" out of storage. No idea what it was, but I had in a tray of "save for ____" cigars.

I could speculate, but just suffice it to say I should have hand banded this cigar. Flavors were spot on -- no tannins, clean, focused, mild but floral, blossoming, old tobacco notes I've posted about before, thick blue-gray smoke, delicate ash. Sadly, the cigar was a touch too delicate and the foot unraveled, really dampening the experience of ... whatever this epic cigar of yore was.

Next up was the yang to the yin, a current production (from a special box code) SD4. Premature, but firing on all cylinders. This refreshed my interest in younger cigars. Interestingly, I noted more of the nicotine impact on the fresh cigar and I wondered if this is inherently more mild in older cigars. I'm sure many know, I just never thought too much about it.

I don't typically drink much with more delicate vintage cigars, but on this summer-like day, I opted for a Pim's Cup (with cucumber, ginger beer, Pimp's, club soda, lemon, and sugar -- excellent).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    2 people like this.
  20. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

Beautiful work.

My only comment is a word to the wise: you will soon discover, as I did after building a wine room, that much bigger than you think you need is always better.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    3 people like this.