1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

I used to work for a major importer here in Europe and am still friends with the owner and his father.
    To answer most of those questions:
    The supply is already stretched as it is. Its a public secret that the cubans doubled production between 98 and 01. Which is boxes from this period can contain up to a 1/3 of plugged cigars. Currently they have caught up in the quality department (to my mind the nicaraguans still do it better) but they simply do not have the capacity to increase production a lot again.As such, the rise of China has made the supply here in Europe already a lot smaller, with limited editions becoming harder to obtain and regional editions becoming smaller..

MC market might take a small hit, but the fact of the matter is that the cubans simply do have enough cigars to fill the market, period. Which means that prices for cubans will simply go up a lot, and prices for NC's down a bit..

2. Torsion

Torsion Well-Known Member

An interesting and highly discussed topic on various cigar forums. Unless HSA are able to maintain QC on the additional demand that the end of embargo may bring it's very likely QC will be affected. Allegedly there's been issues with crop last year, if this happens YoY and with the increase in demand then the only way is up with pricing.

Just my 2 cents...

3. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I've definitely viewed the last 8 or 10 years as a golden period in which to stock up on things, as my tastes have gotten more defined.

Today's smokes were an 02 CoRo, 06 CCE from PLM, and 13 JL#1 from PSM.

[​IMG]

We had chatted about blind tastings here earlier...I wound up running a blind tasting on a cigar forum I frequent. If anyone wants to participate, I have 3 ready to go. Two robustos, blind, that's it. I could put more together, but I wound up making the three extra. How much other interest?

1 person likes this.
  4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Count me in.

5. Torsion

6. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

7. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Tell Elbert I said "hi" (assuming I know which importer you are talking about)

8. Torsion

Short smoke yesterday, '14 Monte 5.This format is great when its cold,time is limited and I love that Monte profile.
    [​IMG]

9. Torsion

Santos custom lancero tonight from the 2015 holiday sampler from @Girardian
    Smooth and delcious aged tobacco although I've no idea what vintage!
    [​IMG]

10. Torsion

Taking full advantage of the weather and basking in the NYC sunshine with this PL Montecarlos. Took well over 1 hour to smoke, savouring those flavours.Calling @jet V you def were not wrong about these. Best bang for your buck smoke, I'm hoarding boxes from now.
    Thinking of giving the VR Famosos another shot later.
    [​IMG]

11. Torsion

2nd try on VR Famsoso - OMR MAR14. This one seems better than the first I had so far...[​IMG]

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

I've found famosos consistently underwhelming. Hopefully they work out better for you.

13. Torsion

After just finishing I am of the same opinion.Don't think I'll be buying a box, just got a 5er a while back to try them.

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

These are great. Krish sent me a couple to try. I'll be buying a few boxes in the near future.

1 person likes this.
  15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I'm building a humidor, about 10' tall, 14" wide and 8.5" deep. I'm kicking around the idea of putting the humidity unit on the bottom of the humidor (since I understand humid air rises), and building a tray to lift the bottom row of cigars up off of the bottom of the case. Also planning to build a tray about 1/2 the depth of the case to allow air circulation and make life easier when digging for a cigar from the bottom of the case.

Any thoughts on this, should I stick to putting the humidification unit in the top matching the usual way I see these done?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  16. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Depends on the humidification system you will be using. Most taller cabinets I know of have the system in the bottom. I have only seen actively atomizing systems (not sure if this is the correct term in English) in the top.

So personally I would go with system in the lower part.

1 person likes this.
  17. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Placement doesn't matter for such a relatively smaller humidor--I think whatever looks best to your eye aesthetically. Just grab some Heartfelt cigar beads.

[@]jet[/@ ]I'm enroute to San Diego for a big herf now til Sunday. Were you planning on stopping by at all?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. SkinnyGoomba

19. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

^^ If he is he better ping me!

20. SkinnyGoomba

Work in progress;

[​IMG]

Sawing the top off next, wish me luck, heh.

1 person likes this.