1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

every well-dressed man needs a cooler-dor!

my amateur coolerdor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coogie

coogie Well-Known Member

i'm very jealous! what are your top 3 picks out of those?

3. bdeuce22

i'm very jealous! what are your top 3 picks out of those?

if i had to pick 3 I would go with:

3) Padron 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. I can't decide if i like the natural or maduro wrapper over the other. Both are wonderful

2) CAO Brazilia Gol

1) Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. I want to buy a box of these soon as I am down to my last couple sticks. These are great.

I have others that I am very excited for. I have some Pepins and Padillas that are resting for a couple more months before I try them. When I move into my first house in a couple weeks I am having a Fuente Opus X that has been aging for almost a year. I hear rants and raves about them but its worth a try, at least once. Best bang for your buck are the Legends Series from Cigars International. Pepin's creation is outstanding and you can get a box for around 60 dollars.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Well, I've never had a Padilla that's why I went searching.

From how you describe it, I probably will hate it. I like very full, flavorful cigars with a lot of complexities and change in profile throughout the smoke. I'd say my three favorites are Padron 1926 Anniversario, Davidoff Double R, and Cohiba Siglo II.

You will like the Miami 8&11 and also the 1932. I bought a box of the obsidians on a whim, and was underwhelmed.

5. gnatty8

if i had to pick 3 I would go with:

3) Padron 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. I can't decide if i like the natural or maduro wrapper over the other. Both are wonderful

2) CAO Brazilia Gol

1) Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. I want to buy a box of these soon as I am down to my last couple sticks. These are great.

I have others that I am very excited for. I have some Pepins and Padillas that are resting for a couple more months before I try them. When I move into my first house in a couple weeks I am having a Fuente Opus X that has been aging for almost a year. I hear rants and raves about them but its worth a try, at least once. Best bang for your buck are the Legends Series from Cigars International. Pepin's creation is outstanding and you can get a box for around 60 dollars.

I agree on the RP Vintage. Try the Decades. They can be hard to find, but my local cigar store had a box and I cleaned them out. Very nice.

Am also a huge fan of Pepin, ordering a box tomorrow. The only tough decisions is which ones to order. I may try the Legends; CI is my main source.

6. bdeuce22

you will not be disappointed by the Legends series. I've only had a few of the lines but they are kick ass and cheap.

7. gnatty8

Smoking Oliva Series V right now. Quite good.

I will take you up on the Legends,

8. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

saturday afternoon smoke...i call this one "limp dick": [​IMG] Partagas Culebra, the first culebra i've ever had...was thinking it was more of a novelty thing due to the weird curly shape, but surprisingly good smoke. It's like smoking a Martini Rosso, if anyone drinks that... Very rich and powerful, hints of herb and licorice. Gotta stock up on more... wouldn't recommend them to an infrequent smoker though, apparently a journalist friend of mine puked after one.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I was at a friend of a friends house yesterday and he had a great box of cigars, that were all dried out. all cubans, all at least 20 bucks a stick, and each and every one of them brittle and dry. and he didn't notice, he talked about how he loved cigars, but he ruined all of this very nice shit. I smoked a partagas series E? and it was like smoking paper.

10. gnatty8

saturday afternoon smoke...i call this one "limp dick":

[​IMG]

WTF? I thought you were kidding. That is its natural shape? Have never seen one of those. Aptly named..

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

saturday afternoon smoke...i call this one "limp dick":

[​IMG]

Partagas Culebra, the first culebra i've ever had...was thinking it was more of a novelty thing due to the weird curly shape, but surprisingly good smoke. It's like smoking a Martini Rosso, if anyone drinks that... Very rich and powerful, hints of herb and licorice. Gotta stock up on more...

wouldn't recommend them to an infrequent smoker though, apparently a journalist friend of mine puked after one.

I believe that I have read that those were made for hunting, you hold them in the same hand that you hold the shotgun, but that may be myth.

12. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

WTF? I thought you were kidding. That is its natural shape? Have never seen one of those. Aptly named..

[​IMG]

That is what they look like from the factory. Culebras means snake to anybody that didnt take Spanish I. The culebras harks back to the days when factory workers would get some cigars to take home for they day. Since they were just made they would be very maliable and moist, so they would wrap them in threes and take them home.

13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I had a cuban Cohiba at a wedding last week and it was surprisingly smooth and - dare I say - mellow. It was some sort of special reserve. I haven't had a Cohiba in a while, but the last one I had was pretty harsh. Did they turn a corner?

14. gnatty8

Some years good, some years bad. Most of the Cuban cohibas I have smoked when abroad, outside the United States have tended to be pretty good; but like fine wines, even cigars have bad years.

15. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

I will get boxes of Partagas Culebras and Punch Punch at Thusrday [​IMG]

16. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

Just got these beauties last week.

[​IMG]

17. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Just got these beauties last week. [​IMG]
    Nice. What do you think of those Bolivars? When I was in Montreal last week, my friend and I probably dropped $1000 on cigars between the two of us. Lots of Cohiba Siglos, Montecristo No. 2 and No. 4s, Bolivars, and so on. All excellent. Being from the States and only having access to the General Cigars varieties of the brands, I found that the Cuban Hoyo De Monterrey wasn't really all that great. Honestly, I much prefer my Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Epicure Maduro by GC than the Cuban tubo I smoked. Of the Trinidads and Romeo y Juliettas I had in Montreal, I found them to be pretty adequate but nothing lightyears beyond what's available in the States. Just goes to show that, while there are some terrific cigars from Cuba worthy of the praise, there are plenty of subpar smokes from Cuba as well. That said, the Cohiba Siglo series and Montecristo No. 2 have both secured spots in my top 5 cigars. Padron 1926 Anniversario and Davidoff Double R are my top two, and number five periodically shifts depending on mood.

18. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

That said, the Cohiba Siglo series and Montecristo No. 2 have both secured spots in my top 5 cigars. Padron 1926 Anniversario and Davidoff Double R are my top two, and number five periodically shifts depending on mood.

Cuban MC2, or Non? I've had the non, and it was a fantastic smoke.

19. The Wayfarer

Cuban MC2, or Non? I've had the non, and it was a fantastic smoke.

Cuban.

20. The Wayfarer

We just posted the first review of Cubans smoked in Montreal on our website: