1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I recently found some Opus X's and purchased my limit. I can only find them about once every year or two, and when I find them I always buy as many as they will let me/I can afford.

What cigars do you like that are on par, or close to being on par, with Opus X's? There must be something more readily available that resembles these great cigars. The guy who sold them to me suggested that there are others out there, particularly the Padron 1964 Anniversary, that are readily available and cheaper than an Opus X. Has anyone tried these and if so what are your thoughts? What else do you like?

2 people like this.
  2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I keep 2 steadies - monticristo 2 (torpido) and cohiba robusto, sometimes I will have a box of monticristo 4 around. all cuban. what I like, aside from those, are maduro robustos from nicaragua - the ones that I have discovered that I like best are joya de nicaragua.

punch punch are very nice, too.

3. newtrane

newtrane Well-Known Member

My standard cigars are

- Robaina Unicos (Cuba)
    - Montecristo 2 (Cuba)
    - El Credito Serie R No 4 (Dom. Rep)

4. ROT

ROT Well-Known Member

Montecristo #4s and Partagas, whatever. I pefer a smaller ring gauge (42 max) and something under 6". Maduro wrappers are always a treat. But then, I don't smoke much anymore.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Well-Known Member

Padron Anniversary 1964.  Best cigar I have ever smoked..

1 person likes this.
  6. Laxbuddah

Laxbuddah Member

I second the Padron Anniversary 1964, What a smoke......

1 person likes this.
  7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

Anybody had any luck purchasing from www.cigars-of-cuba.com? Or can you suggest another online dealer that will import Cubans to the U.S.? PM me if you don't want to discuss this openly.

8. petescolari

petescolari Well-Known Member

If I can find them, I will most always buy La Gloria Cubana Torpedos. If I am in a pinch, a Macanudo Hyde Park will do the trick.

1 person likes this.
  9. anorak

anorak Active Member

I like everything Padron puts out.
    I like C.A.O. Gold, Cammy, and Criollo
    Torano Cammy, casa torano.

I have not been able to find opus x locally to try one.

I want to try San Crisobal cigars but want to try a couple b4 I order a box.

10. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't join the conversation--but on another thread, I was questioned for using spray starch on my shirts because of possible ill health effects. Anyone besides me see any irony here?

(BTW, used to enjoy cigars, but gave them up.)

11. cigarguy_MI

cigarguy_MI Member

Ah. Opus X - excellent choice.

Padron Anniversario is fantastic too.

Try Ashton Cabinet VSG and Bahia Gold. I think you will like them.

The four above are my favorite non-cuban smokes.

Enjoy.

12. alaaro

alaaro Well-Known Member

So no one answered the question before. How is it possible to get Cubans in the US? Does buying online work, since the stores are out of the US?

13. anorak

anorak Active Member

Many online stores outside of the us will ship to the us. People do get their shipments taken by customs though. They will send you a letter and lately they have been sending people the cigars they ordered, after shredding them. I have been told that some shops will replace your sticks if they don't make it to you. www.cigarweekly.com is a good site with a lot of information.

14. Chilli padi

Chilli padi Active Member

Early next year I expect to have two excuses to celebrate to excess. One occasion will be a milestone birthday and then a couple of months later, fingers crossed, a significant promotion. I am already building a little stockpile of vintage champagne. What suggestions would you make for celebratory cigars? I am not much of a smoker myself, but some of my friends are. Is it possible to strike a balance between a newbie-friendly cigar and something the connoisseurs will enjoy as well?

15. mano

mano Well-Known Member

Chili pad, one's cigar preferences are as individual as preferences in wine, food, clothing, etc.  The Opus X people rave about is a heavy-bodied cigar that an uninitiated smoker may find overwhelming.  Macanudo cigars are the biggest selling hand made smokes in the US.  The reason is they are very well made mild cigars.  Many cigar afficiandos don't like them because they don't offer the complexity and full, rich flavor many Habanas and similarly priced NC (non-Cubans) offer.  These include the Opus, Ashton VSG, Padron Anniversario, etc.

You may want to go to your local cigar shop and buy several singles of Macanudo, Ashton Classics or other top quality mild cigars available in the UK that you and your friends will really enjoy.  Ask the tobacconist for recommendations, or ask your cigar smoking friends what they like. You may end up getting particular cigars for them and other cigars for yourself and your unitiated buddies. There's nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a bottle of wine or a box of cigars that people don't like because they haven't developed a taste for it yet.  Most long-term cigar smokers started with mild cigars.

BTW, congrats on your upcomming birthday and promotion.

16. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Where's the love for Avo?
    Avo has some very fine cigars, from the mild to the full strength. Highly recomended. My favorite size is 6 x 50. I like that fatter ring gauge.

17. anorak

anorak Active Member

Avo signatures are really good.

The few Avos I have tried from the domain line have had a really open draw that I did not like, it was like sucking on an empty straw.

I like the Avos from whatever the normal line is called.

18. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to learn about cigars, and after a search of all the cigar threads, found this one the most informative.

My question to experienced smokers is: What cigars would you recommend for a novice to get acquainted with the spectrum of strengths and flavors? Equally importantly, which ones would you avoid?

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to learn about cigars, and after a search of all the cigar threads, found this one the most informative.

My question to experienced smokers is: What cigars would you recommend for a novice to get acquainted with the spectrum of strengths and flavors? Equally importantly, which ones would you avoid?

Since you live in Japan, you will want to look at Cuban cigars. Something like an El Rey del Mundo or Sancho Panza will be a good place to start.

20. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Well-Known Member

Since you live in Japan, you will want to look at Cuban cigars. Something like an El Rey del Mundo or Sancho Panza will be a good place to start.

Fonsecas are also good for a mild-medium Cuban entry level cigar.