1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigars - what's in your humidor?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by blank, Apr 1, 2007.

1. blank

blank Well-Known Member

As the weather warms up, the time is right to sit outside and enjoy my cigars. For casual smoking, I typically go with a low-end Punch or Upmann, but I've got a few in my box that I've been saving for a while, for no real reason other than the time has never been right to smoke it

- Fuente Fuente Opus X, been in the box for three years or so
    - Montecristo Delacroix churchill
    - Fuente Reserve Xtra Anejo, also two or three years old
    - Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
    - Montecristo Habana No. 3 and some coronas whose number I've forgotten

I'm moving to NYC after graduation; I think after everything's settled and I'm moved in, I'm going to smoke the Opus X.

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

I just started smoking cigars not too long ago, I have in my small collection of duty free cigars... - Montecristo #2's - Montecristo #4's - Cohiba #IV's All just bought within these 2 months [​IMG]

3. LSeca

LSeca Well-Known Member

Montecristo

Romeo Julieta

4. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Well-Known Member

A butt load of stuff (~150). But my good smokes are Padrons (2000, 3000, Anniversary), Montecristos (White, Puerto Rico, Platinum) , R&J (Reserve, 1875), Arturo Fuente (Anejo, OpusX, 858), and Rocky Patel (1990, 1992).

The Arturo Fuentes and good Montecristos are aging for a bit and waiting for a special occasion, for the most part.

5. baker

baker Member

Mine is full of cao brazilias which are basically the only cigar i truely enjoy smoking the whole way through.

6. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Well-Known Member

I go by the usually bought,
    Montecristo #4
    Cohiba #IV

Altough I have recieved a limited edition by Cohiba, don't reallt know the number but it said limited edition. Anyone that knows the number?

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I don't have a humidor.

I don't quite get the allure of cigars. They're certainly interesting, but the fact that my mouth tastes like cigar for a day or two afterwards is a bit of a disincentive.

8. larryr

larryr Well-Known Member

Lots of stuff, i have a pretty large cabinet humidor. Lots of singles in the drawers, all different years.

Some of my favorites are
    Partagas SD4s, 898's, Shorts
    Bolivar CJs, PCs, BFs, CEs
    RyJ Ex#4, Churchills, coronas
    RASS,

Been on a Ramon Allones Specially Selected kick lately.

I also have a few Tatuje made by Don Pepin, really a great line of cigars. Can be found online.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i am sincerely curious. i have smoked a one dollar cigar from the liquor store once and it was very awful. just felt like puffing smoke.

what is the difference between these and the ones mentioned above?

the taste, texture of smoke? , the paper wrapping?
    i heard somewhere that the reason why cuban cigars are so expensive is because they are rolled between the inner thighs of a young cuban virgin.

is this true?
    what makes a $100 cigar that price? are there $500 per cigars as well?
    [​IMG]

10. blank

blank Well-Known Member

Mine is full of cao brazilias which are basically the only cigar i truely enjoy smoking the whole way through.

Such an incredible cigar.

11. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Well-Known Member

what makes a $100 cigar that price? are there $500 per cigars as well?
    [​IMG]

Often a $100 cigar is due to rarity like Cuban Davidoff which have not been made since 1990. A box of at Christies sold for $4000

A good cigar for people with access to Cubans is romeo Julieta Cazadores, a highly underrated cigar

I have Ramon Allones Small Clubs and Specially Selected
    RyJ Churchill
    Partagas Lusitania
    RyJ Cazdores
    Hoyo Epicure #1 and #2 (a kick ass cigar)
    Padron 2000
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto and Chateau

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

I gave up cigars years ago, but every now and then when I get a hankering, I reach for an AF-Don Carlos robusto. It was not as good as the few top notch cubans I have had in my life, but bang-for-buck, I still love 'em.

13. torotoro

torotoro Well-Known Member

Bolivar Belicoso Fino
    Bolivar PC Cab
    Bolivar Royal Corona
    Bolivar Colosales
    Bolivar Corona Junior
    Bolivar Corona Gigante
    Bolivar Lonsdale
    Bolivar Regentes
    Cohiba Lanceros
    Cohiba Corona Especiale
    Cohiba Corona Media RS
    Cohiba Robusto
    Cohiba Siglo I
    Cohiba Siglo IV
    Cohiba Siglo VI
    Custom Rolled Coronas
    Custom rolled robustos
    Diplo #2
    ERDM Choix Supreme
    ERDM Taino
    Fonseca #1
    HdM Pyramide EL
    HdM Petite Robusto
    Jose L. Piedra Conservas
    La Corona PC
    Le Hoyo Des Dieux
    Le Hoyo du Maire
    LGC Medaille d'Or #2
    Los Statos Deluxe Brevas
    Montecristo D EL 2005
    Montecristo Especiale #1
    Montecristo #1
    Monte #2
    Monte #4
    Monte #5
    Monte Milleneum Robusto
    Monte Petit Tubo
    Monte EL Robusto
    Partagas 898 Varnished
    Partagas Serie D#3 EL
    Partagas Serie D#4
    Partagas Serie P#2
    Partagas Lusitania
    Por Larranaga PC
    Por Larranaga Lonsdale
    Punch Coronas
    Punch Punch
    Punch Super Selection #1 cab
    Quai d' Orsay corona
    Quai d' Orsay Imperiale
    RASS
    RASCC
    R&J Exhibicion #3
    R&J Churchill
    R&J Petit Julietta
    Sanco Panza Belicoso
    San Cristobal El Principe
    San Luis Rey PC
    Trinidad Fundadore
    Upmann Manum 46
    Upmann Suoer Corona
    Upmann #2
    Vegas Robaina Clasico
    Vegas Robaina Familiar
    VR Famoso
    VR Unicos

thats just the Habanos!

14. heartworm

heartworm Well-Known Member

Isn't it illegal to buy Cuban cigars in USA? You communists!

I have never smoked a cigar in my life before (I'm only 21) but I bought 2 Romeo y Julieta (Romeo No. 3's) and I might smoke one tonight...

15. jjgold

jjgold Well-Known Member

A butt load of stuff (~150). But my good smokes are Padrons (2000, 3000, Anniversary), Montecristos (White, Puerto Rico, Platinum) , R&J (Reserve, 1875), Arturo Fuente (Anejo, OpusX, 858), and Rocky Patel (1990, 1992).

The Arturo Fuentes and good Montecristos are aging for a bit and waiting for a special occasion, for the most part.

A "buttload" of stuff like this but no Patel or R&J. Also a bunch of different Habanos. A good Habano is what cigars are all about! I keep some JR Ultimates around as an everyday smoke.

16. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

bumping this as cigars were my first love! Any other smokers that joined since this thread was last posted in?

these days i smoke a lot of Ramon Allones specially selected...punch punch is another favorite of mine, as is the Punch DC (recently smoked some from 04 that blows the Hoyo DCs i bought last week out of the water). Haven't smoked many vintage cigars, but the best cig i've ever had is probably the Partagas SD4 Reserva when it first came out (smoked one a few months ago and it didn't quite live up to the first time).

overall i'm more into smaller, quicker smokes these days. Monte petit edmundos, bolivar RC, por larranga or bolivar petit coronas or sometimes RyJ Short Churchills (again, the recent batch pales in comparison to when they first debuted in boxes of 10 in summer 06)

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

All I've ever smoked are Macanudo Cafe Portofino.

But I smoke like 1 cigar a month with my someday father-in-law. Any other suggestions?

18. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

for reasonably priced smokes (don't know where you are, so i'll make Cuban and NC suggestions) i suggest the following:

Cuban:

Vegas Robaina Famoso - Don Alejandro's line has always been very well priced in correlation to the consistently outstanding quality of the smokes. this is the robusto size, a nice entry level smoke appropriate any time of the day.

Petit Punch - small cigar than can be smoked at lunch or coffee break in 10-15 mins no problem. also a good one for the golf course as it's not too demanding on the attention and quick.

Cuaba Generosos - the larger size cuabas are pricey, this one is pretty moderately priced and another fantastic quick smoke. it's got quite a bit of kick so keep that in mind if fuller bodied cigs aren't your thing.

if price is not an issue, there are some recent ELs that i have found quite impressive, for 2007 i liked the RyJ Escudos and the Hoyo Regalos; the latter is a more powerful smoke but the former has more subtle character to it, i would say it's the cigar equivalent of a black forest cake! Love that smoke. Also Trinidad's Ingenios was a very, very good smoke. All of the above should get much better with aging, i'm impressed they're so good already.

I'd skip some of the heavyweights that have been pushed lately such as Cohiba Maduro 5 line, Monte #4 Reserva - i think they're overpriced and purely hype. Havent smoked the M4R but $50 for a glorified monte 4 is ridiculous. And the cohiba M5's were mediocre for what they cost, if you're going Cohiba i suggest Siglo VI or Esplendidos. Or if you want to go all out get the Reserve edition box, but that's hella pricey.

Non cubans:

not as familiar with these, only know the ones based on what i smoked in college, but Tatuaje were very nice (both white and red label), the NC trinidads were not bad, and CaO brazil and italia are also reliable smokes. OpusX i find a bit overrated, as is the VsG. Here in Hong Kong they are available alongside many premium cuban cigars similarly priced (or often times, the cubans are even cheaper), and if you ask me to pick between an OpusX or a Monte A for $300-ish HKD, it's not even a question.

19. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Throwbox tray
    [​IMG]

Anejos
    [​IMG]

Hemmingway (Maduro and Cameroon) and Opus
    [​IMG]

Davidoff LE's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]